Quantcast
Merging lanes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Merging lanes

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Default Merging lanes

Whenever there are two lanes that bottle neck into one lane( perhaps for a construction zone)....

have you ever noticed that many drivers lane change so early that it creates a much longer bottle neck than the actuall construction zone?

And, if you drive all the way up to the front, no one wants to let you in, even though you are doing the right thing.

My Ride
    04 Mini Cooper S JCW

I agree except for the people who drive all the way to the front and stop. That causes the entire line of cars to stop to let them in. I find traffic moves most smoothly if people can merge in without stopping.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Originally posted by gran turismo
    I agree except for the people who drive all the way to the front and stop. That causes the entire line of cars to stop to let them in. I find traffic moves most smoothly if people can merge in without stopping.

My Ride
    rubbish

In most cases, those people are what cause the bottleneck, it should move smoothly if everyone is in a single line, and people merge in when they first see the sign that says a lane closes ahead. Nothing pisses people off more than waiting in traffic while some winners fly past them and cut in the front of the line when they know the lane is closed ahead. There are conditions of course, but dude is right, traffic and logic don't mix.
    Last edited by 86max; 05-10-2005 at 08:52 AM.

My Ride
    Low Rent

Yup.

People dive in early because they know no-one's going to let them in later, and no-one lets them in because they had to start slowing down way back there and damned if they're going to slow down any more. It'd all work better if people would just think logically about it, but logic and traffic do not mix.
    "Oh yeah! Plus, armed men are stealing my pop!"

If people don't "let" you in, then you just slowly creep in, 9 times out of 10 people end up slowing down and you get in. At least this is the case when you drive a beater hehe
    ---

My Ride
    Z

I like the finger and swerve technic for getting them to let me in lol JK

My Ride
    rubbish

Originally posted by BlkMaxima
    I like the finger and swerve technic for getting them to let me in lol JK
    Resulting in the follow, bat, and face technique

haha

My Ride
    325i

Default Re: Merging lanes

Originally posted by Tyler883

have you ever noticed that many drivers lane change so early that it creates a much longer bottle neck than the actuall construction zone?
    I always merge early to get out of the fucking way. Its the stupid snail drivers that merge early and don't keep up to par with the speed.

Merging later causes the slow down, not merging early unless (see above).

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

I think the slow down comes from the drivers that dont let the mergers in.

Instead, the mergers are either forced to merge early or come to a stop wich in turn causes a terribly slow merge later when someone else does their duty and lets the merger in.

get what I'm saying here? we need to stop taking the easy way out, and we need to stop making it difficult for others

My Ride
    a wrx.

Heh that's funny, I merge at the veeeerrry end. If the traffic is moving, I don't signal in advance; I only signal when I've begun my hard swerve into the lane, this way I have the element of surprise and no one has time to close off the opening. If the traffic is stopped, I'll still drive to the very end, then wedge a foot of my car into the smallest opening between two cars.

And of course, I'll always wave a thank you to the suckers behind me.

My Ride
    acura integra

I totally agree with everything you said, I have had everything happen to me atleast once kinda pisses you off when they don't slow to let you in.