Quantcast
Speeding in Construction Zones - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speeding in Construction Zones

My Ride
    05 Duramax/02 cbr 954

Thumbs down Speeding in Construction Zones

I have been brewing over this issue for the last few weeks. This includes all construction zones but ever since deerfoot south by Douglas Dale has been switched from 100 to 70 speeding in this area has really got me upset.

People that speed with undo care thru these areas should be pulled over, licence cut up and made to walk home.
    If anyone has ever worked road construction they will understand this rant. It is percarious when working in these areas to be hit by even road debri. Let alone trying to concentrate onwork when cars are passing you at 100k, 5 feet from you.

We all use these roads for commuting, traveling or plesure, someone has to maintain and upgrade them.
    Have repsect for there working environment.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

thats strage.... i have never seen anyone actually working at that site.

My Ride
    a wrx.

I always slow the fuck down for construction zones no matter how much I speed elsewhere. Double fine yo!

I don't get when other people don't even let off at all for construction zones.

My Ride
    German

They should bring back the signs of the little kids and the big bold statement "My dad works here"

My Ride
    BMW 540i (E39)

People should slow down, but if they took a tip from BC and put covers over the construction signs when there's nobody working people would pay more attention.

It's a matter of people becoming desensitized...

My Ride
    AE86, GSXR 750

yea, if i see people working i slow down, if its after hours and no one is on site working why slow down?

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by 88CRX
    thats strage.... i have never seen anyone actually working at that site.
    Seems like its always like 5 guys standing around "shootin' the shit".

Regardless, everyone should follow the posted limits.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    S250T, 435ZHS

i always get tailgated like its going out of style on crowchild to and from work every morning because i got 60 instead of 80.
    if im having a bad day, somebody is going to be buying me a new back end and paying for some medical bills

My Ride
    TOPLESS 64 IMPALA /2004 SALEEN S281 SC / 2007 Z06

Originally posted by Seanith

thats fuckin true

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

I for one havnt worked construction, but changing a tire on hwy 1, with cars wissing by at 140+, i feel for what they have to put up with. Such a small, simple courtesy, that can go a long way, is going 20k(or whatever it is difference) slower that big of a deal.

Here here!

I've worked construction zones for a while.... and was also in charge of the signage. If you think signs should only be displayed when you see someone physically working, then you are mistaken. Signs are there to also protect the public from dangers that you may not be directly aware of. Such as a deep hole close to a lane, or lane width restrictions. It's even worse at night when you can't see these dangers, and people think that because it's nighttime and no one is working, that they shouldn't have to slow down. Morons.

If no one is working at a jobsite, legally the flagperson signs must be covered up or taken down.... and other signs can remain there as long as there are dangers.

I enjoyed flagging, as I could copy the plate down and have the RCMP visit you the next day at home.

Numerous times have I thanked god for not taking my life when flagging. Ever have a car bearing down on you full with teenage girls going 100 km/h, knowing you have to stop them somehow or they will hit your work crew? I ended up throwing my stop sign at their windshield, cracking it, and jumping out of the way at the last minute while giving warning to my crew at the same time. The car ended up stopping short, but not my much. I've personally known 3 people that were in the same situations, but did not get out of the way in time .

What pisses me off the most when confronted for speeding, is when they say "What signs, I didn't see any signs". Hey dumbass, it's the bright orange signs that have bright fluorescent flags waving above them.... can't miss em.... Or I love it when you try stopping someone and they say "You could have given me more warning!", uh dumbass... those signs about 1km back said the speed limit was 50km/h, no 100... thanks a lot. They shut right up when you tell em that.

Rant done... to all you assholes that don't slow down in a construction zone, from start to finish...

70 km/h feels a lot faster to the worker than it does to the driver.

Originally posted by Seanith

haha, you know that they are city workers, when one guy is digging and 5 others are watching

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

The one on Deerfoot by Southland drive is dumb. Noone is ever there at nite and there are no lane restrictions, or anything anywhere near the road. Come to think of it there isn't any equipment there either whenever I drive by. I don't slow down because if i did i would get rearended.

If you're gonna work during the day fine, I'll go 70 but after 11PM am why are the signs still up? No equipment, no workers.

Originally posted by Aleks
    The one on Deerfoot by Southland drive is dumb. Noone is ever there at nite and there are no lane restrictions, or anything anywhere near the road. Come to think of it there isn't any equipment there either whenever I drive by. I don't slow down because if i did i would get rearended.

If you're gonna work during the day fine, I'll go 70 but after 11PM am why are the signs still up? No equipment, no workers.
    I haven't driven through there in a while... but has the road been changed at all from the original? Have the lane markings been moved for a detour? Are there any lanes that are cut off and merging?

You can think whatever you want, but the fact that there are no workers does not mean the construction zone suddenly disappears.

The 70 zone on Deerfoot between the Southland and Bow Bottom interchanges is actually a major part of the problem.

I drive through there every day and for whatever reason the speed limit was decreased without any visible construction or lane restrictions. As a result people continue driving 100+ through it. Unfortunately many people continue at 100 after the bridge in and into the construction at the Douglasdale interchange.

Before that additional 70 zone was added, people were much more careful to slow down as they approached the constuction zone south of the bridge. There were also quite a few more laser traps in that area earlier in the construction phase. I think more cops would be a welcome addition to that area to nail the people that constantly tailgate people like me who chose to drive 70-75 and speed past at well over 100.

My Ride
    BMW 540i (E39)

The problem is everything here in Alberta is done like a shicky-shack small town. Look at places like California, which has the population of Canada in the size of BC and you'll start to see things that are a bit better thought out as far as traffic is concerned.

For example, they do all construction between 9pm and 5am, overnight so that daytime traffic flow isn't disrupted...rush hour will naturally slow traffic in construction zones, so then they have the workers out at night and overall the speeds are normalized.

Combine this with second generation traffic calming and you have solutions that work - with many multiples of the number of people we have here - which is something you can't say about traditional enforcement. We don't have enough police for our population NOW, nevermind as we continue our growth spurt.

So you can continue to defend the system, saying the people are "morons"...but quite simply, there are better ways.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by BlackArcher101

I haven't driven through there in a while... but has the road been changed at all from the original? Have the lane markings been moved for a detour? Are there any lanes that are cut off and merging?

You can think whatever you want, but the fact that there are no workers does not mean the construction zone suddenly disappears.
    Yeah man I totally respect the legit construction areas like the one in douglassdale. I do the limit and am extra carefull, but the one by southland seems to be some sort of mix up! There is nothing, I mean nothing to hint anything is happening there.

I noticed today that all it takes is an example driver and everyone else slows down. Today in the southland construction zone i moved to the middle lane and slowed to 70, and than every car around me began to slow down too.

I think most people see that noone else is slowing down and proceed to follow the flow of traffic.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

every time the police enforce the speed limit in that construction zone in douglasdale they always have like 5 people pulled over...i had a guy the other day honking at me to speed up and i was doing 75..some people never learn!!! the speed traps will get them in the end!
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast