Quantcast
Ipod or an mp3 player - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ipod or an mp3 player

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Default Ipod or an mp3 player

Hey guys, just wondering about what to get. I was gonna buy an mp3 player just the other day, but then was given the suggestion to buy an ipod. The mp3 player I saw as a 512 mb one and I can get it for around 140 bux. I want the 1 gb one but it'll prolly run just under 200 bux. Anyway, I'm new to the ipod things so what are some benefits to going with an ipod over the mp3. Also, what are some of the negatives?

Mind you, the size of the mp3 I'm looking at is smaller than a lighter so this is a bonus for me. I'm simply just going to use it for traveling since I hate lugging around all my cds and shit! Besides, I only use cds in my car. Some bonuses to the mp3 are that it's freaking tiny! Also, I can line in record, it has a built in mic, and did I mention it's tiny!! haha, it's seriously 1/10th the size of the ipod mini!

What do you think is a better buy for my inteneded uses. Also, how much are ipods going for now? Thanks for the input.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

An Ipod is an mp3 player so saying Ipod or mp3 player doesnt make sense. Quite fittingly, an mp3 player, plays mp3 music files, which an Ipod does, making it an mp3 player. I'm going to answer this on the assumption that you meant an Ipod mp3 player or some other less popular mp3 player.

Ipods can be quite expensive, the cheaper ones can be several hundred dollars, even more.

Ipods supposedly have better sound and an easier to use interface. They are also a hella bigger (storage wise as well as size wise) than a 512mb or a 1gb Mp3 player, so it depends on how much music you have. If you have like 10,000 songs, then you'll want an Ipod, or something equally as big.

A 512mb mp3 player can hold aprox. 150 songs and obviously, a 1gb player can hold about 300 songs. So just judge it based on how much songs you need, and make sure that the mp3 player that you want has good ratings and reviews. One place to check that out is www.cnet.come
    If you do need alot of storage, there are cheaper mp3 players that are good quality and have just as much space as some of the bigger Ipods.
    Check out www.creative.com and go to their mp3 players. specifically, check out the creative nomad zen which has alot of storage and a low price. The zen touch has a touch dial, much like the Ipods. Its a bit more expensive than the regular zen, but cheaper than the ipod. For only 5gb, check out the zen micro. Also check out mp3 players at www.Iriver.com and http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/sho...Rio.asp?cat=72

This is just the begining, and remeber, check each mp3 player out at www.cnet.com

Hope that helped.
    Last edited by Carfanman; 05-22-2005 at 08:49 PM.

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

Try this I-Pod Shuffle . I-Pod Shuffle. Small yet under $200, if you are a student I can show you how to get a larger discount on apple products.

I have a friend who has one and loves it. Plus its not as expensive as the other full size I-Pods.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by Carfanman

Hope that helped.
    Yah man, that helped a lot. I know that the ipod is an mp3, haha sorry, I shoulda phrased my question better! Anyay, I was told that it can also hold other files and stuff and for me, I don't really need that. I'm also really digging the size of that one mp3 only player, the lesser name. LIke I said, it's smaller than a lighter!! haah

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    5.0L Mustang Inches of Air-assisted lift: 10

I just got a SONY 512Mb MP3 and its really nice. It weighs soo little and its waaaaay smaller than an Ipod. And hes right it holds about 150 songs... which is ok....
    I got mine at Wal-Mart for $134

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Those apple ones are cool, but really man, I'm after the convenience of it. The smaller the better! haha, and frankly, I'm just gonna use it for music. I have not problem only being able to have 200-300 songs, I also have no real qualms with having to download the new ones onto the mp3 player. Thanks for the help, I think I've solved my dilemna. I think I just sold myself on the mp3! haah I'm most likely gonna go with the 1gb mp3 player. This is what it looks like:

Thanks again for the help guys.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

^^ i want one of those! can u get them here?

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
    ^^ i want one of those! can u get them here?
    haha, I have no idea man! All I know is that my buddy and went down to the electronics market and he picked up a 512mb one for around 140,000 won which is roughly 140 cad. The thing is so freaking light and small!! I'm picking up two of the 1gb ones in about 3 weeks The size puts the ipod to shame! haha, but still, it's mostly just for the songs and doesn't have even half the features of that the ipods have...oh well, just need it for music while I travel!!

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

I'm not %100 sure what the features on the Ipod are, but I'll bet whatever free cell phone your service provider is offering, it will have all those features.

I found the website for the mp3 player you showed, but when I searched it on cnet, it didn't show up, which means it really isn't that popular, and there is no way to know how good it is.
    If you want to get it anyway thats fine, it may very well be a great mp3 player, but if you want help finding a more popular one, so you know what to expect, let me know and I'll give you links to some great ones.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by Carfanman
    I'm not %100 sure what the features on the Ipod are, but I'll bet whatever free cell phone your service provider is offering, it will have all those features.

I found the website for the mp3 player you showed, but when I searched it on cnet, it didn't show up, which means it really isn't that popular, and there is no way to know how good it is.
    If you want to get it anyway thats fine, it may very well be a great mp3 player, but if you want help finding a more popular one, so you know what to expect, let me know and I'll give you links to some great ones.
    Yah, I think it's a korean brand to tell you the truth! haha, but in any case, I went shopping here in Korea and honestly...it's completely overwhelming! They have so many mp3's kicking around. I did some searching and most of the shops said that it was decent one, but of course there were still some other better brands. Again, I'm still looking for something small, 1 gb and around the 160-180 dollar price range. If you do find something comparable, by all means post it up! Thanks dude.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Mad$ella
    I just got a SONY 512Mb MP3 and its really nice. It weighs soo little and its waaaaay smaller than an Ipod. And hes right it holds about 150 songs... which is ok....
    I got mine at Wal-Mart for $134
    I had a new Sony mp3 player, but I returned it when I realized it forced you to convert to openmg format, even though it kept the mp3 encoding. It doesn't work for large files and takes forever to convert. I went and got an iRiver instead, which I am very happy with.

Are u listening to Korean music now?

BTW, I picked the ipod because of all the accessories they have for it.... but the one you're picking up looks cool.

Umm, your only able to listen to Korean music in Korean mp3 players dude...

LOL j/k

Here are some other 1 gb players.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Cowon_iAudio...?tag=pdtl-list

http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_MuV...?tag=pdtl-list

Here is a page with a ton of different players from 256mb to 2 gb

http://reviews.cnet.com/4502-6490_7-...2376&501823id=

if I was to do it again I wouldn't of bought an IPOD.. paid way too much for an mp3 player.. It looks better than the other mp3 players, but it does the same thing as all the other mp3 players except it's more expensive.

I think Ipod has better marketing, as opposed to better quality. It has good quality, no doubt, but there are other mp3 players that are very close to it, cheaper, yet much less known. Everyone knows what an Ipod is, whether or not they have it, and no other mp3 player is as popular as it.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

haha no no fuckers, I can listen to anything I want, not just Korean music!

But yah, I think I'm pretty sold on the smaller mp3's. It's funny man, cuz riding the subway, every korean person has two things: a cell phone (they call them hand phones here) and an mp3 player around their necks...sometimes their handphones are both!

Anyway, I've seen the iriver ones and those are fucking pimp! A bit more expensive than the one I'm looking at but it's a nice one. Two of my american friends here have ipods. One is a 20gb one and the other is a 5 gb one. They love it but the size is still a bit too big for me (even though it's like 10 times smaller than the cd player and all my cd's I'm currently carrying around in my traveling pouch!!)

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Personally I like the MP3 players that you can plug a jump drive into. You can use the jump drive for any type of file, and the MP3 player it plugs in to will play any audio file you have stored on it. If you're not familiar with jump drives, they are a small usb device that plugs directly into your computer and it appears as a new drive - then you just copy stuff over to it, plug it into your mp3 player and its good to go. Plus if you buy another jump drive, you can store one set of songs on one jump drive and another on the other drive.

I heard that with Ipods, you have to buy all of your music through itunes? Is that true?

"I heard that with Ipods, you have to buy all of your music through itunes? Is that true?"

No

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by 1badPT
    Personally I like the MP3 players that you can plug a jump drive into. You can use the jump drive for any type of file, and the MP3 player it plugs in to will play any audio file you have stored on it. If you're not familiar with jump drives, they are a small usb device that plugs directly into your computer and it appears as a new drive - then you just copy stuff over to it, plug it into your mp3 player and its good to go. Plus if you buy another jump drive, you can store one set of songs on one jump drive and another on the other drive.

I heard that with Ipods, you have to buy all of your music through itunes? Is that true?
    Yah man, that's exactly what the mp3 player I'm lookin to buy does! It's sweet, I basically plug it into my laptop, find the songs I want, click and drag them into the new window and bam, I'm done...it's just like moving folders around on my laptop. It's so easy to use! I can even have them categorized by folders then open up each folder, like have a hiphop folder, a heavy metal folder, or whatever, it's sweet. This mp3 player has that ability and it also has a line in so you can directly plug in your cd player and record it that way, or you can record your voice or anything with the built in mic. Sweet stuff

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

Hehe, weird this thread just came up, I was in the exact same situation too. I went ahead and bought the Creative Mp3 512 mb mp3 player, which basically is identical to all the features Leo listed about his. So far I frickin' love this thing to death, the main reason I bought it was because I wanted something really tiny when I'm in the gym (I previously had an MD). So I just attached this badboy to my shorts (or you can use the arm band) and let er rippppp. An ipod mini would have cost me pretty much twice as much, and it would have been way too big for my liking (the 4 gb over 512 mb isn't that big a deal for me, 150ish songs is more than enough for how much I use my portable audio device).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast