Quantcast
Who's hiring engineers? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Who's hiring engineers?

My Ride
    Dakota ... what? Yes, I know its a truck.

Question Who's hiring engineers?

Well this sucks but our project it getting shut down at the end of this fiscal year (April 1) and I may be out of a job.

Does anyone have any job leads or suggestions of companies that hire mechanical engineers in and around Calgary??? Obviously the ideal one would be geared towards automotive, but I don't think SAE even has a presence here in Calgary and I'm not in a position to be terribly picky right now.

Anyone have any leads/suggestions/ideas/anything? Even some recommended companies to hit up or good head hunters would be great.

Thanks
    My Ride
    "Nobody snuggles with Max Power ... you strap yourself in and feel the G's" - Max Power

Where do you work right know?

Good to here there are some fellow mech's on the board , Your the 3rd Engineer I've heard from this week who's project is getting shut down/company taken over...losing there job. I guess its that time of year.

try monster.ca they always have some postings.

My Ride

yeah the market's in a general freeze right now.

I'm not a big fan of monster cause each posting gets tens of thousands of replies ... kinda hard not to get lost in the shuffle. I still check there all the time though.

Right now I'm at a research company.
    My Ride
    "Nobody snuggles with Max Power ... you strap yourself in and feel the G's" - Max Power

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Originally posted by 350hp_or_Bust
    yeah the market's in a general freeze right now.
    Yeah, tell me about it...
    If you want something in the Energy industry try http://www.energyjobsearch.com

And again if anyone hears of anyone in need of an Economist..let me know.

-R

My Ride

ttt
    ... anyone have any new info for me?
    My Ride

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

ttt
    ... anyone have any new info for me?
    Have you tried Oil and Gas industry? I am also an Engg student on internship currently so unfortunately don't have that much (or any) say in the hiring process

My Ride
    A l337 chair

All I can say is things have to get worse, before they can get better. We'll keep our eyes open, and I am sure something will come up.

My Ride
    AI Servo

Bantrel just won a huge project a few months ago. They are expanding like crazy.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 06:22 PM.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I have heard that electrical students trying to go on internship right now are having a tough time finding jobs. Chem, Oil and Gas, Petroleum seem to be going fine as always..

Originally posted by kaput
    I'm in first year engg. I've heard of quite a few engineers losing their jobs lately. The two fields I'm considering are civil or electrical. Does anyone know if either of those sectors are being hit as hard?

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 06:22 PM.

My Ride
    335i

Until the oil and gas guys are out of work when we run out of oil in 20 years...

The world's oil supply will last a lot longer than that dude...

At the pace we're going at right now, Alberta's supply is estimated to last about 150 years.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 05:00 AM.

My Ride
    335i

Well that's reassuring, energy crisis my ass! Where did you get that number from though? Seems larger then I would expect, or does that assume international supplies dont drop and force us to increase production?

Either way, not my thing.
    Bingo. I'm assuming that we keep feeding off of the Middle East oil supply and maintain current (low) production of our own fields...If international supplies start to slow down, and we have to increase production, our oil fields will dry up very quickly.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 05:00 AM.

My Ride

yeah, I'm trying to steer clear of the oil & gas industry anyways ... been there done that, and in all honesty ... its not terribly interesting from a Mec E point of view ... maybe Pet Es or Chem Es like it or something, but not me.

I'm still considering going back for my masters though ... something automotives related... ah, who knows, I've got plenty of time to decide.

as far as advice for you kaput: Civil's never run out of work cause there's always buildings and bridges being built or renovated. Electricals usually do pretty well too .. can't really go wrong there. ... electrical is a lot more math intensive (complex calculus on complex planes) .. Civil is about the easiest program from what I hear.

in the end, make your choice based on your interests though, not the current market, cause who knows what the market will be like 40 years from now!
    My Ride

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

So I'm not entirely misinformed. I understand that in the near future, 90% of the worlds oil will be in kuwait and saudi arabia and whatever else is over in that general area, which is what's fueling the whole iraq war thing.
    There's more oil in the tarsands up north than there is in the rest of the world combined, its just so expensive to get it out and process it.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

yeah, I'm trying to steer clear of the oil & gas industry anyways ... been there done that, and in all honesty ... its not terribly interesting from a Mec E point of view ... maybe Pet Es or Chem Es like it or something, but not me.

I'm still considering going back for my masters though ... something automotives related... ah, who knows, I've got plenty of time to decide.

as far as advice for you kaput: Civil's never run out of work cause there's always buildings and bridges being built or renovated. Electricals usually do pretty well too .. can't really go wrong there. ... electrical is a lot more math intensive (complex calculus on complex planes) .. Civil is about the easiest program from what I hear.

in the end, make your choice based on your interests though, not the current market, cause who knows what the market will be like 40 years from now!
    If you like job security (as much as anyone has job security any more), stay the hell away from oil and gas. More to the point, oil and gas is absolutely flat right now, there isn't much going on and a lot of larger projects are getting shelved. In a few months things might get better, but its shaping up to stay like this for awhile.

In terms of what you do, there is always demand for the different disciplines of engineers, even mechanical in companies performing work outside the oilfield (although in alberta, oilfield is where most of the action is). In the engineering industry especially, it pays to be diverse. If you're a one trick pony you'll find it a lot harder to stay employed for the next 30 years than you will if you can do a few different things well.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.