Quantcast
does cruise control save gas? or waste gas? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: does cruise control save gas? waste gas? or the same?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • save gas

76 78.35%
  • waste gas

13 13.40%
  • the same

8 8.25%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: does cruise control save gas? or waste gas?

My Ride
    2003 Rsx Type S WHITE, Ninja zx250r

Default does cruise control save gas? or waste gas?

does cruise control save gas? does it waste gas?

My Ride
    Z

I think it wastes gas cause when it starts going up a hill it downshifts and floors it in an automatic but in a standard it is probly the same on gas as if you weren't using it!!

It will usually save the average person a bit of gas because it is more consistent in speed, hence you are not on and off the gas as much, but if a person could keep their speed constantly consistent, the effect would be the same...

Saves gas, keeps you at a constant speed.

Good for highway driving, the difference may not be much but you are using less gas.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

i voted same but i suppose without cruise i would do alot more acceleration. So i guess it saves me some. Nothing noticable
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by CMSbob
    It will usually save the average person a bit of gas because it is more consistent in speed, hence you are not on and off the gas as much, but if a person could keep their speed constantly consistent, the effect would be the same...

My Ride
    05 DC5 K20Z1

Saves gas mainly on the highway in my opinion where cruise control is mainly used.

If you drive an auto transmission and hit a really steep uphill is where it's questionable. To keep the speed limit the cruise control would downshift and next thing you know the tach shoots up. Not sure but I think the best thing to do in that situation is maybe climb the hill at a lower speed in order to keep the revs down.
    Last edited by biggie_82; 05-24-2005 at 06:57 PM.
    Life's A Bitch

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

On a completely flat surface with no wind, other cars etc Cruise control would save gas. However on normal highways you actually consume more fuel using cruise.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Yep, cruise uses more gas.

The reason being, when you're travelling uphill, cruise will try to keep you at the same speed, instead of holding the same throttle position, or even easing up on the gas pedal a bit, which would give you the best mileage.

I took a 3500 mile road trip, and for about 2000 miles I used cruise, averaged 28mpg, for the remaining 1500 miles I used my right foot, and got about 31mpg. The only difference between me and the cruise control was going uphill.

On flat land, it should be the same either way, but on hilly terrain, I always shut cruise off, and allow my car to slow going uphill.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

it does use more gas, mainly for the reasons stated above..

in a standard if u hit a hill, and she'll apply alot of gas, at usual highway speeds, its almost as if its boggin the engine in a way, its using alot of gas, for minimal rpm's.

My Ride
    05 DC5 K20Z1

Originally posted by ryder_23
    it does use more gas, mainly for the reasons stated above..

in a standard if u hit a hill, and she'll apply alot of gas, at usual highway speeds, its almost as if its boggin the engine in a way, its using alot of gas, for minimal rpm's.

That really depends on the car and the gearing I think. For me, in 6th gear going at about 120 KPH I'm just a little over 3500 RPM so there isn't really a need for me to downshift to 5th.

Another thing is when I was driving an auto tranny and hit a hill my speed would drop and then the cruise would kick in with the downshift and trying to get the car back up to speed. With my manual tranny, it maintains the speed limit even when I hit the hill.
    Life's A Bitch

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Depends on how strong the cars engine is, but as stated before going up a hill with your car floored in 5th is worse than using moderate throttle in fourth.

For those that slow going up a hill: You bastards then I have to take my cruise off when I'm behind you!

My Ride

Haha look at that poll, goes to show how many people on this car forum know nothing about cars. Haha
    Last edited by Redlyne_mr2; 05-29-2005 at 09:30 PM.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Z

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Haha look at that poll, goes to show how many people on this car forum know nothing about cars.
    LOL ya I wonder how many of them reallize there fools after they read the posts

My Ride
    FAT tires

I dont know about the guys that say it wastes gas, maybe you drive gutless cars...

with cruise on i can usually top 500km for 50L of gas, with it off im looking at about 450-475 (assuming all highway). About all that happens for me going up steep hills is ill go from about 8-10" vacuum to 2"vacuum - 2psi boost depending on the hill, or in other words light throttle.

Maybe with a girly right foot i could beat the cruise mileage, but with it on i can set it for 118 and forget it. with it off my speed is less consistant and im bound to speed a bit more.

those are my reasons for claiming it gets better mileage, well knowing from experiance.

My Ride

Originally posted by tsi_neal
    I dont know about the guys that say it wastes gas, maybe you drive gutless cars...

with cruise on i can usually top 500km for 50L of gas, with it off im looking at about 450-475 (assuming all highway). About all that happens for me going up steep hills is ill go from about 8-10" vacuum to 2"vacuum - 2psi boost depending on the hill, or in other words light throttle.

Maybe with a girly right foot i could beat the cruise mileage, but with it on i can set it for 118 and forget it. with it off my speed is less consistant and im bound to speed a bit more.

those are my reasons for claiming it gets better mileage, well knowing from experiance.
    Not enough experience obviously. The power of the car has nothing to do with it.

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    FAT tires

Not enough experience obviously. The power of the car has nothing to do with it.
    Experiance has nothing to do with anything. My driving habits maybe...

and how the cruise is calibrated from the factory makes a difference, some will dump gas some will ease into the gas. but if your motor is weak on power it takes more gas to maintain speed. Vehicles with more power and better cruise will be easier on gas.

and i routinely drive alot of highway miles, so ill use this disclaimer: EVERY time ive driven trips in MY talon Ill get a small but noticeable increase in fuel economy ~25-50km on ~50L of gas, taking into consideration my driving habits on and off cruise.

My Ride
    Audi

so does it save gas or not?? I just do it so my leg doesn't cramp up on long drives

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Not true.

If your taking a 90hp econo box up a steep hill in 5th (assuming 5spd) with a manual transmission the cruise has to floor it. Your going to burn alot more gas than you would if you downshifted to 4th yourself and were lighter on the throttle.

If you have a 200+ hp car you will have no problem going up a steep hill in 5th gear under light to medium throttle.

My Ride

Originally posted by bspot

Not true.

If your taking a 90hp econo box up a steep hill in 5th (assuming 5spd) with a manual transmission the cruise has to floor it. Your going to burn alot more gas than you would if you downshifted to 4th yourself and were lighter on the throttle.

If you have a 200+ hp car you will have no problem going up a steep hill in 5th gear under light to medium throttle.
    Overall a car with 90hp will still get better mileage than a car with 200 plus HP. Anyways thats besides the point, we both agree that cruise gives worse gas mileage.

Red Deer, AB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast