Quantcast
Shaq racist towards asians - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaq racist towards asians

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Default Shaq racist towards asians

http://www.asianweek.com/2003_01_03/sports_yaoming.html

I can understand why asians could be offended, because NBA is a professional sport. Since its a professional sport, the players should act professionaly, maybe add some rivaly but nothing that is aimed to attack a person's background. Shaq should be shot for saying racist comments like that.

BTW this did happen, i saw the tape on FOX sports center

My Ride
    96 T/A

So???
    He's also racist towards whites! He's always making fun of 'little white boys'
    He's a violent brute ;-)

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

"The only reason anyone knows about Shaq’s latest taunt is because Fox Sports Radio’s Tony Bruno Morning Extravaganza played a recording of the taunt several times to its nationwide audience on Dec. 16 and 17. On the latter day, Bruno commented that Shaq’s comment was “not racist,” and then invited listeners and radio commentators to call in jokes making racist fun of Chinese. For hours, people cracked jokes, such as offering free bike parking to increase Chinese attendance at basketball games. "

wtf!

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Enough with The sensitivity towrds racism already lest just be one big multicultural family for Crying out loud !

My Ride
    UA6

who cares shaq's a fag

My Ride
    GTI

LOL, shaq doesn't hate whiteys, he even chills with the guys from jackass,

shit, don't get me started...

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by Hakkola
    LOL, shaq doesn't hate whiteys, he even chills with the guys from jackass,

shit, don't get me started...
    speaking of Noxville anyone see the MTV episode of Gumball 3000 hehe thats was some funny stuff

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

shaq's apologized.

O'Neal Issues Apology
    Laker center says he was only joking in comments about Yao and that his relationship with Louis Farrakhan is his own business.

"To say I’m a racist against Asians is crazy. ... I said a joke. ... If I hurt anybody’s feelings, I apologize."
    -- Shaquille O’Neal
    Photos

O'Neal yesterday
    (Lori Shepler / LAT)

Houston's Yao Ming
    (AFP)

Related Stories

After Bad Joke, Take Apology Seriously
    January 11, 2003

Times Headlines

Gold Fishbowl

Lavin Decides to Stick It Out

All Roads Lead to Super Bowl

Mariucci Chose Bad Time to Quit

Ward Keeps Job at USOC

more >

LOS ANGELES LAKERS BASKETBALL TEAM

O NEAL SHAQUILLE

By Tim Brown, Times Staff Writer

It was a day when he was lambasted on talk radio and the Internet, linked socially to Louis Farrakhan by a New York Post gossip columnist and threatened with fines by the NBA for not speaking publicly, and near the end of that day Shaquille O'Neal apologized.

He said he was not a racist for his taunt of Houston center Yao Ming, said his relationship with the Nation of Islam leader was his business, and, simply by saying all of that, eased any pressure he might have felt from the NBA. The league had grown concerned that O'Neal had gone more than a month without formally addressing the media.

The Laker center was criticized by a weekly Asian publication more than six months after looking into a cable television camera and, according to a column under the headline, "Shaq is a Racist," saying, "Tell Yao Ming, 'Ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh,' " apparently mocking the Chinese language.

About a month ago, the audio of that interview was played on a local radio show. By Friday, the column in AsianWeek had become a popular issue for the call-in shows, and O'Neal arrived at Staples Center for the Lakers' game against the Cleveland Cavaliers aware of the public firestorm.

"If I offended anybody," O'Neal said, "I apologize."

Yao, in Atlanta, seemed to accept O'Neal's explanation.

The Lakers, in the meantime, have received "several" phone calls regarding O'Neal's interview, according to one official.

"To say I'm a racist against Asians is crazy," O'Neal said. "It's probably [someone] just trying to start trouble.... I'm an idiot prankster.

"I said a joke. It was a 70-30 joke. Seventy percent of people thought it was funny, 30 didn't.

"At times I try to be a comedian. Sometimes I say good jokes, sometimes I say bad jokes. If I hurt anybody's feelings, I apologize."

Also, the Post reported in Thursday's editions that Farrakhan was among the guests at O'Neal's Dec. 26 wedding in Beverly Hills. O'Neal has spoken previously of his Muslim faith, even making a display of it during the past Western Conference finals, when he greeted fellow Muslim and Sacramento King Hedo Turkoglu with a kiss before every game.

"I don't judge people," O'Neal said of his association with Farrakhan. "Of course I believe in God. Only God could have given me what I have.

"When you know yourself, who you are and what you are, you don't worry about certain things. I'm not going to lose sleep over this.... Hopefully, people won't judge me by what they think my beliefs are.

"The world we live in, there's trials and tribulations. We move on. What I believe right now doesn't matter. My views are my views."

O'Neal insisted that his reference to Yao was intended as a joke, not as a put-down of Yao, the rookie who leads all centers -- including O'Neal -- in the conference All-Star balloting.

Before the Rockets played in Atlanta on Friday night, Yao said, "I believe Shaquille O'Neal was joking with what he said, but I think a lot of Asian people don't understand this kind of joke.

"I think there are a lot of difficulties in two different cultures understanding each other, especially countries of very large populations, China and the United States. The world is getting smaller and has a greater understanding of cultures."

As for O'Neal's run at the language: "Even when I was little I took a long time to learn Chinese."

Clipper center Wang Zhizhi, in Seattle to play the SuperSonics, said he had not heard what O'Neal said and therefore would not comment.

The Lakers released a statement from General Manager Mitch Kupchak that read, in part, "Knowing Shaquille, I am certain that this was nothing more than a misguided attempt at humor, and that he did not intend to insult or criticize Yao Ming or any member of the Asian race."

Lei Bo, a spokesman for the People's Republic of China consulate in Los Angeles, said Thursday he had never heard of O'Neal. "I'm not a basketball fan," he said.

Given an account of O'Neal's interview, Lei said, "I only hope that Yao Ming continues to play well with his teammates and that his American counterparts treat him well."

At stake, perhaps, for O'Neal is a long list of endorsements, including high-profile national accounts with Radio Shack and Burger King.

"If this were a story with substance then I think it's possible there would be a problem," O'Neal's agent, Perry Rogers, said Friday. "But there's nothing behind it. The fact is, Shaq is someone that absolutely treats everyone equally. He has never judged anyone based on race, religion, age or sex. I've never seen him make a distinction between people."

After Friday's game, O'Neal sat in front of his locker, a small tape recorder to his right ear.

"Toy-inchee," he said, then rewound the tape. "Toy-inchee."

He looked up.

"Chinese," he said, "for 'I'm sorry.' For when I see Yao Ming."

If you want other stories on this topic, search the Archives at latimes.com/archives.
    Click here for article licensing and reprint options
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Oh come on...I think people are getting a bit too sensitive...shit happens.
    Travel

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Benny
    Oh come on...I think people are getting a bit too sensitive...shit happens.
    what's the difference between people making jokes about black people, which is a definite racial no no? and encouraging people to call into a radio show to say their jokes about asians?

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

the fact is that people slip their tounge in a non deliberate or hurtful fasion and people spaz out and rage war. I'm as anti racist as it gets, but pick your battles. Its people like the KKK and such that are the bad guys.
    Travel

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

yea "shit" does happen, but hes at the area where he shouldn't have his mouth slip because many kids view him as a idol. If you are going in the public eye, you should avoid "slips", otherwise dont stand into the spotlight.

Originally posted by Zephyr
    yea "shit" does happen, but hes at the area where he shouldn't have his mouth slip because many kids view him as a idol. If you are going in the public eye, you should avoid "slips", otherwise dont stand into the spotlight.
    couldnt agree more...shaqs a dumb fuck

My Ride
    a wrx.

shaq is dumb, but so are the ppl that are making a fuss about it..

whoo watch me....CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK

omg im racist. what am i goi-CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK CHINK

not to add fuel to the fire but racism in itself is unfounded. Its all about prejedice. By definition the differences between races are the in ability to produce viable offspring. Hence a different race. Not that i dont shaqs comment wasnt prejudiced but i think he was using it to get in the guys head

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

does that mean when i'mplaying basketball, i can call guys the n*****?

he can only tihnk like a 3 year old anyways. who cares what he says only thing he can say is "KAZZAM!!" or "I NEED A WHOPPER"

My Ride
    You Crazy

When its a joke, its a joke. Too many people are to sensitive IMHO. I have called my black friends "niggers", and they have called me their "little honky bitch". My best friend growing up was Chinese, and we often exchanged racial slurs. Big f'n deal.

And I am Yugoslavian (serbian to be exact), and I get quite the rubbing for that....getting called the "ethnic cleanser" and shit like that. It does not bother me at all.

Christ, how many people have said "hey, he jewed me out of $50". Just a slang, no more no less.

This whole politically correct generation is taking things too far. One of my principals in Junior High (back in the day of the strap ) said to a friend of mine who just got an earing in grade 7 .... "are you some sort of faggot?".

Then I worked in the club industry for years, and often had gay co-workers. After you get to know people, the jokes began to fly. One time I asked my BA to french kiss his boyfriend in front of the doormen just to gross them out...... the looks on the homophobes faces was priceless.

If its in fun, its in fun. If its a joke, its a joke.

q) What do you get when you cross a nigger with a chinaman??
    a) a car thief that can't drive!

now everyone get their panties out of a knot. It's funny cause it fits stereotypes we hold

If you think there is something wrong with stereotypes.....then you have failed to grasp human socio-cultural evolution, and the ancestral NEED to form groups, tribes, colonies, religions, COUNTRIES etc. You ain't gonna change evolved human behaviour in one generation. You can try and mask it or hide it, but it will be hiding in the woodwork for a hundred more generations.

Toma

My Ride
    MDX

q) What do you get when you cross a nigger with a chinaman??
    a) a car thief that can't drive!

now everyone get their panties out of a knot. It's funny cause it fits stereotypes we hold

Toma [/B][/QUOTE]

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dont worry, I'm only a towel headed taxi driving mofo

grrr, I hate shaq! Not for this, but the fact that he's a corporate whore. Honestly, doesn't he make enough from his basketball career? I guess not cause he feels the need to prostitute himself all over to companies to promote things. Lets not forget his movie career, rap cd and video game
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast