Quantcast
Leaving/Quitting a job - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Leaving/Quitting a job

My Ride
    I like. :)

Default Leaving/Quitting a job

I have been working for a company as a 'contractor' for over 4 months. They haven't finalized the terms of my contract within the time that I've been there, they haven't presented me with a written contract to sign, I have signed nothing saying that I am in a contract with them as my client.

Am I still required to give "2 weeks" notice or can I just quit/walk out when I want to. 2 week notice would be polite but besides that, I just want to leave.

My Ride
    335i

The 2 week policy is a courtesy to an employer acknowledging termination of your employment. It is not necessary, and they cannot withhold any type of payment owed as a result.

The reason I would recommend you give them some type of notice is for future references. An employer is much likely to give you a favorable reference if you quit with notice than if you decide to walk out on them.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Never NEVER burn your bridges! Your name travels faster than you do.

I always give at least 2 weeks notice no matter how long i have been there. Except for one job where i had to start at better job within a week. But i still stayed working nights for the previous employer for a week to train the new guy.

Just be the nice guy and give the 2 weeks. At VERY least talk to your employeer and arrange something.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

http://www.gov.on.ca/LAB/english/es/...rmination.html

I noticed that you are from ontario, but each province will have a site similiar to this.

It states that your employer would have to give you 1 week notice, so I think it would be ethical to give them the same amount if you choose to resign.

BTW, labour law is so week, don't be suprised if there are loopholes that allow them to not give you any notice. However, if you are interested in leaving on good term, just ignore this fact long enough to give them fair notice.

IMO, a few phoney smiles and handshakes for one week will serve you better than burning your bridges.

Suck it in, and be nice!

My Ride
    3 of Germany's finest

I wouldnt burn the bridge simply on these premises:

-Future Referenece
    -They haven't deducted taxes- if you intend not to pay them, they can hold you hostage with that
    -If you are contracted... you are under a company name? Id play it a bit smoother and put away any hard feelings for the remaining weeks so as to keep your good name.

My Ride
    5.0L Mustang Inches of Air-assisted lift: 10

Originally posted by spike98
    Never NEVER burn your bridges! Your name travels faster than you do.

I always give at least 2 weeks notice no matter how long i have been there. Except for one job where i had to start at better job within a week. But i still stayed working nights for the previous employer for a week to train the new guy.

Just be the nice guy and give the 2 weeks. At VERY least talk to your employeer and arrange something.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

i have the labour rules posted at my work, i think if you've been employed less then 3 months well then you don't have to give any notice, then up to a year after that its a week, and then 2 weeks....or along those lines

My Ride
    GMC : S15 sierra clasic (2.8), Jimmy SLT (4.3)

if you want to leave, and you havent been working there 3 years, you only have to give them one weeks notice

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

I usually give in 2 weeks whether I've been working 1 month or 6 months, regardless of whether or not I even liked the job!!! It's a classy and respectful way to leave and you never know when you'll need them in the future (ie. a reference, a future client, a connection to a better job)

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Just get on the PA system once every hour and make "vroom vroom" sounds then ask to be laid off.

I garantee that one the 4th request you'll have your walking papers -