why is nobody buying used BMWs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: why is nobody buying used BMWs

My Ride
    04 jdm gdb

Default why is nobody buying used BMWs

hey guys,
    just quick question.

Is there any reason that nobody is buying my used BMW E46?
    is the price too high? I looked on canadatrader.com and im 2nd cheapest in the city.
    Mine is e46 2001 325i 77,000km = 27500

Dealerships have same car with 105,000 km and asking liike 30,000 , how are they getting away with that?

what do you guys think of the price? should i hold out, or lower it/

you can see my post in the marketplace Here

My Ride
    98 328is, 04 320i

By which means are you selling it? Canadatrader? Bargain Finder? Local Paper? ......

Good luck.
    Glenn
    98 Arctic Silver 328is
    04 Titanium Silver 320i

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Nobody on Beyond has money. If you want to sell a car like that, put it in the Trader. People who can afford a car like that will be looking there, not on Beyond.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I found that is tough to move used bimmer. Most people say they are scared of BMW reliability! or lack thereof.

Originally posted by benyl
    Nobody on Beyond has money. If you want to sell a car like that, put it in the Trader. People who can afford a car like that will be looking there, not on Beyond.
    except you right

My Ride
    335i

It has nothing to do with money. There are tons of members here that can buy your BMW many times over if they wished.

I attribute it to the fact that this site is for car enthusiasts - by and large, most members already have a car that they have put so much sweat, blood, pride and money into. Without a car, i'd really have no reason to come on here unless I knew about the marketplace to begin with. Granted, your E46 may be a lot nicer than the average civic/integra/240sx, it may simply be the case that no one on here is willing to sacrifice a large chunk of money for a vehicle that costs a lot to modify and maintain.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

iam in the market for a bmw, the problem is the market is saturated with 3 series sedans, Iam looking for a 3 coupe or 740.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    98 328is, 04 320i

Originally posted by Aleks
    I found that is tough to move used bimmer. Most people say they are scared of BMW reliability! or lack thereof.
    I find there is a general lack of knowledge based on the brand BMW, coming from people who have no idea about them. Reliability? Any car is reliable if they are taken care of properly, right?

You car will get sold. You need to spend some money to make some money. Put a For Sale sign on it when you go to the mall. Lots of times people who are lazy will see it and give you a call...
    Glenn
    98 Arctic Silver 328is
    04 Titanium Silver 320i

The great thing about BMW's is that the scheduled maintenance is covered for the first 3 years. The crappy thing about BMW is the cost of parts for the next 3+ years.

My Ride
    4Runner Trail Edition

I dont get it, BMW's arent insanely hard to maintain.
    If you maintain it right like any other auto on the road, then there should be no problem.
    People just think its expensive to maintain only because its a BMW.
    I admit that the parts are pricey but do your shopping around and it shouldnt be anything different from a honda.

I think the price of your E46 is good, keep it at that.
    I mean if you are killing for money right now, sell it a bit cheaper but dont lose a huge amount of money.

I know this doesnt help but I would be really interested. It would make a great family car for me.
    Last edited by Kaos; 06-02-2005 at 12:35 PM.

My Ride
    04 TSX

Originally posted by Glenn 328is

I find there is a general lack of knowledge based on the brand BMW, coming from people who have no idea about them. Reliability? Any car is reliable if they are taken care of properly, right?
    A few years ago my father had a 530 V8, and it was insanely expensive to maintain (and believe me, he maintains his cars). The amount of money that went into keeping that thing working smoothly was ridiculous. He has also had something like 6 BMW bikes, and even though they weren't as much trouble as the car, they just didn't compare to the Hondas and Kawasakis that we had. Moving from the 530 to a new Jetta was a big relief, and again moving from the Jetta to the TSX was even more of a relief after that.

For example, when you occasionally see fairly new bimmers that look like their hoods have been shredded by some wild animal from underneath, and you find out it is because the plastic engine fan that was put into the car actually disintegrated and exploded under the hood, causing major damage to the hood. You start to wonder whether you want to get into problems like that. I'm glad we're done with those cars.

My Ride
    04 TSX

ps. not to mock bmw's though. It was a nice solid car to drive with fairly decent power. But in my experience, it just wasn't worth the trouble.
    -04 TSX / 6MT / Non-Navi / Milano Red
    Mods: Tint, 17" Konig Absolute, Injen CAI

-01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    Mods: k&n, hindle exhaust, ignition adv. stage 1, fender terminator

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by lastprodigy
    except you right
    Oh, I am sorry.

Fact is, most people on here are high school students and their moms buy them their civics.

Why don't you go a troll another thread and post something useful for a changed. Quite wasting people's bandwidth with you pathetic drivel.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

this is VERY true...

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    It has nothing to do with money. There are tons of members here that can buy your BMW many times over if they wished.

I attribute it to the fact that this site is for car enthusiasts - by and large, most members already have a car that they have put so much sweat, blood, pride and money into.

As is his point.

The more than majority on beyond has no money. We are driving Civic's and Integras's. Not that they are bad vehicles...it's just the platforms we chose to mod, we didnt choose E36 Cab's, and 951 Porsches like a few of us. lol...BUT there are the few who drive 1000hp MKIV Supra's, and 450hp 240's, a 600FWHP EG Civic...

So all the money here on beyond is "already tied up"...I mean it's a good idea to post your car on here, google shows up a lot of threads on or about beyond when searched...so it is a good starting point. Also the networking that this site allows is incredible...

But for selling your whip the Auto Trader, Bargain finder are your best bets...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by HPower

A few years ago my father had a 530 V8, and it was insanely expensive to maintain (and believe me, he maintains his cars). The amount of money that went into keeping that thing working smoothly was ridiculous. He has also had something like 6 BMW bikes, and even though they weren't as much trouble as the car, they just didn't compare to the Hondas and Kawasakis that we had. Moving from the 530 to a new Jetta was a big relief, and again moving from the Jetta to the TSX was even more of a relief after that.

For example, when you occasionally see fairly new bimmers that look like their hoods have been shredded by some wild animal from underneath, and you find out it is because the plastic engine fan that was put into the car actually disintegrated and exploded under the hood, causing major damage to the hood. You start to wonder whether you want to get into problems like that. I'm glad we're done with those cars.
    And that is why people who buy them usually are more well off and don't mind spending money for their status vehicle. No one here can argue that a BMW, on average, will be as reliable as an Acura or a Lexus. I would love to have a 98 540i, but frankly I would be scared to push it daily like I do my current shitbox. Just a matter of preference and priorities I guess.

Oh, I am sorry.

Fact is, most people on here are high school students and their moms buy them their civics.

Why don't you go a troll another thread and post something useful for a changed. Quite wasting people's bandwidth with you pathetic drivel.
    at first you said nobody, now you say most, i agree with most but your first post was misleading, as weapon_R said many can afford it on here......

Default Re: why is nobody buying used BMWs

Originally posted by digi
    hey guys,
    just quick question.

Is there any reason that nobody is buying my used BMW E46?
    is the price too high? I looked on canadatrader.com and im 2nd cheapest in the city.
    Mine is e46 2001 325i 77,000km = 27500

Dealerships have same car with 105,000 km and asking liike 30,000 , how are they getting away with that?

what do you guys think of the price? should i hold out, or lower it/

you can see my post in the marketplace Here
    Heres an advise.. dont try to sell to kids that pretend they can afford these kinds of cars.

But this would be a good board if you have something in the range of $3000 to $9000.. any higher.. your best bet is the trader

www.buysell.com

like the other people say, most of the people on this board are high school kids.. driving mommies car.

Or you can try www.e46fanatics.com
    Last edited by interlude; 06-02-2005 at 02:19 PM.

My Ride
    04 jdm gdb

Cool.

Thanks for the input guys.
    Its actually on the autotrader.ca right now and i have even lowered the price.

Thanks for all the advice. I wasnt sure if my price was unreasonable , but from some of the comments , i see that it is fair price.

I will try to post on www.buysell.com or www.e46fanatics.com

Thanks

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...0322751&pgno=1

off topic, but i just wanted to post this car i saw at bavaria. I'd say it's a 2/5 for condition

who sets the prices there?

digi,

I'm not sure if this applies to you, but i was trying to sell my last car (an old buick) and got NO calls after it was in the trader and buy/sell for about 3 weeks. I decided to park it on a busy road with a for sale sign in the window (including price) and instantly got 2-3 calls a day. They car was sold that week, no problems.

If you can do this (ie. can do without your vehicle for a few days), I'd strongly recomend giving it a try. I know i will next time i have to sell a car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast