Quantcast
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo (951) Body Kit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo (951) Body Kit

My Ride
    nothing yet :-(

Default 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo (951) Body Kit

Hello all,

I am new here, and thought this to be a good first question. I, within the next 2 or so months, will have my first Porsche! it is to be a Black on Black 1986 Turbo 944 (951). I am very excited, and ready to start learning all of the quirks and what not of actually owning a Porsche. My question is, however, about weight. i am not terrible worried about cost, but more so performance. I am more then aware that the Porsche is an amazing car stock and have felt its power first hand. I do however would like to begin racing my Porsche so handling is becoming my top priority. I have been looking around in many different places for different body kit options to reduce weight. However I have found that many of them do not look very nice and will make my very sexy Porsche.. Look like a very not sexy ricer. If anyone could give me a heads up to a place where there is a variety of different body kits.. or point me in the direction of a good one I would love to hear from you. Thanks so much, and am glad that I can be apart of your family here at beyond.ca :tongue: .

-Tim
    Last edited by Ziess; 06-06-2005 at 08:12 AM.
    fast imports and beautiful woman.. nothing better

My Ride
    ////M

Screw body kits.. it would look best slammed. If handling is your first priority, work with your suspension, not the body.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride

Yea.. I have been told so many things from so many people.. From work on boost, work on body, work on suspension, work on this work on that.. Not exactly made of money.. But I would like to make this car a nice one, and really get into racing it.

So you think work on suspension first? Rather then the body kit?

-Tim

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

wait for rage2, Alpine Autoworks, and/or Redlynemr2 to post and see this thread...they IMHO are the guys to talk to about those cars...

and I am sure when they see this they will give you a hand...oh and also 962kid...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride

Thanks a lot EK 2.0, I will do just that, haha.

*goes to sleep in anticipation, dreaming of his Porsche*

-Tim

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Suspension and lightweight should go hand in hand for an excellently handling car. While you're getting rid of weight, make sure to put in a much lower and stiffer suspension. Also remember that as the car gets lighter, it will reduce load on the suspension and raise the car gradually, affecting looks and performance. So finish lightening the weight before you replace the suspension, especially if you manage to take off a huge amount (several hundred pounds, maybe by getting some fiberglass panels and a spartan interior)
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride

Wow.. good point, didn't even think about how the car will look farther off the ground..

*shows how little i know*

Was thinking of taking out the back seats as well.. just putting all the framing back there for the 5 point harness(es).

iceburns288, so u think that I should lighten and so suspension? But lighten first, and then replace/modify the suspension accordingly?

Also.. when talking about doing so many modification to weight I begin to worry about making the car unbalanced… any thoughts?

-Tim

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Hey Ziess,
    If you really want to go all out you can buy fiberglass panels for your car at www.gtracing.com.
    The problems with fiberglass panels though (ie hood, fenders, bumper) is that the car will not be as solid and the panels will be prone to cracking and warpage. The factory front bumper is urethane anyways so its not heavy. To loose weight on the 944 id start with removing the rear spare tire , tool kit and jack. Then remove the rear seats. You can also then look at replacing the heavy factory seats with some nice light racing buckets. Replace the battery with a smaller lighter one. After that it comes down to more serious steps like removing the carpeting and sound deadening material as well as replacing the pop up headlights with some sealed units. Another popular option to loose weight in the 944 community is to remove the A/C as well.
    If you want to improve the look of your 944 get yourself some 968 side mirros and door handles. It makes the car look 5 years newer. good luck
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride

Thanks a lot Redlyne_mr2, i was planning on taking out the back seats and putting in the racing buckets with proper 5 harnesses, but I worry about weight distribution when it comes to that. i have now made significantly more weight in the front of the car then in the back. i am looking for nicer, wider tires for the back anyway.. but i don’t want to be loosing too much traction because I don’t have enough weight back there. Any thoughts?

-Tim

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Since I've done pretty much everything to my 951, here's what to expect. There's 3 areas to concentrate on. Let's cover each one to see how much you wanna spend .

Weight
    The first bit of weight is cheap to remove, you can get down to around 2700lbs by stripping the interior, installing lighter seats, removing all sound deadening, etc. That's about your limit for "cheap". Replacing everything possible with carbon fiber (hood, fenders, etc) and lightweight wheels would get you down to 2400-2500lbs or so. That's about the limit that I've seen.

Suspension
    The shitty thing about the 951 suspension is well, you can't have comfort and performance at the same time because of the front suspension design If you want excellent cornering, especially on R-compound tires or slicks, you'll need very heavy springs up front. 500lb springs are about the limit for street driving on stock weight, but for ultimate grip at the track, you'll want 600lb or stronger springs depending on vehicle weight. Driving anything over 500lb on the street will hurt ya. Choose what you want to do, street or track. Then decide on suspension there.

Power
    There's many ways you can go for power. First things first, upgrade the head studs, you won't be able to run much more than 280hp (250whp) without eating head gaskets. The stock block is very strong, so making HP isn't a problem with it.

Chips/MAF/Turbo/Injectors - A good setup will be able to net you a good powerband and about 400hp (360whp) on pump gas. www.vitesseracing.com has excellent kits for our cars. Unlimited power potential with race gas, I've made 520hp (460whp) on the stock 2.5L block using race gas.

Cams - This will bring your pump gas potentials on the 2.5L motor to 450hp (400whp). Cheap, but I suggest doing at the same time as the above combo, as turbo choice is critical for matching your cams.

2.8L - 2 ways of doing this. Big bore or stroker. Big bore is more expensive, but gives a better torque curve. Stroke involves replacing crank with one from 968/944S2, new rods. Big bore involves new pistons, sleeved block. I went the big bore route on my car. With the right turbo, 450hp (400whp) on pump gas. Another 50hp more with the right cams.

3.0L - Big $$$, basically bored and stroked. Guys with these motors are running 500-600hp on pump gas. Bring lots of cash.

V8 - Chevy V8 transplant, very cheap (compared to above), lots of power. If I were to do it again, this is the route I would take.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    purple people eater

Originally posted by rage2

V8 - Chevy V8 transplant, very cheap (compared to above), lots of power. If I were to do it again, this is the route I would take.
    would that not demolish the balance of the car though?

My Ride

Yea.. i have herd of that Chevy conversion.. I think i will keep my car German, or custom built thank you very much, hahahah. and I am fairly certain it would kill the weight distribution.. but i could be wrong, lol.

I will be going with the smaller 2.5L engine, and i don’t plan to bore it out at all.

thank you very much for your input rage2, i was hoping you would be around to share your experience. I really think i will be pushing for performance first.. and then worry about power. I am more of a driver then a mechanic.. but i am getting there, lol.

Originally posted by rage2
    Driving anything over 500lb on the street will hurt ya.
    you mean me.. not the car right? lol...

it will not be much of a daily driver.. only in commission for 4 or so months out of the year.. and although street legal, i would like it to do most of its driving on the track, lol.

i will be sure to look into that web site that you mentioned.. and follow up with any questions i have for you all, lol.

-Tim

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
    would that not demolish the balance of the car though?
    You think that 4 banger in the 944 is light? The thing is bigger than some v8's!

IMO, as a driver, weight distribution doesn't mean THAT much. I've driven front heavy cars, 50/50 cars, rear heavy cars, as long as the suspension and brakes are tuned for that weight bias, it's not a problem.
    Originally posted by Ziess
    Yea.. i have herd of that Chevy conversion.. I think i will keep my car German, or custom built thank you very much, hahahah.
    Then don't mod the car . It's funny how people argue about where the parts come from. I have a canadian EFI system, american turbo, japanese injectors, english blow off valve, american pistons, and english sleeves, it's still OK. But, if I decide to change to an american V8 block, suddenly the car isn't "german" no more. Go figure.

I guess you'll have to learn the hard way like I did. What a waste of money lol.
    Originally posted by Ziess
    you mean me.. not the car right? lol...
    I mean the front springs.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

hehe... yea i hear ya.. idk.. i guess i kinda think that changing the engine makes it not a porsche anymore.. but ur right.. all that really maters is craossin the line first, lol.

thanks alot everyone for your good pointers though. i will be sure to let you all know how it goes!.

-Tim

If your worried about crossing the line first, build drag not track.

If you want good lap times, build track not drag

If you want silly fast and silly cornering abilities, then bring money, lots of it.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
    If your worried about crossing the line first, build drag not track.

If you want good lap times, build track not drag

If you want silly fast and silly cornering abilities, then bring money, lots of it.

I dunno...rage2 built a pretty bad-ass 951...drags in the 12's, tracks and doriftos...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by EK 2.0

I dunno...rage2 built a pretty bad-ass 951...drags in the 12's, tracks and doriftos...
    He has spent a pretty penny getting it there.

Originally posted by EK 2.0

You missed the money part didn't you.

Even he said it himself.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

very true my good friend...very true...I mis-read the post...my apologies
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by benyl

He has spent a pretty penny getting it there.
    Many many pretty pennies not to mention he practically has his own personal mechanic who often spends more time driving it than he does.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast