Quantcast
Engineering Contacts/Positions? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engineering Contacts/Positions?

My Ride
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS/93 Honda Civic DX

Default Engineering Contacts/Positions?

I wanted to inquire if anyone on this site knows of companies in Alberta currently hiring for Chemical Engineers or has contacts in the industry. I have 20 months of work related experience in various fields, but wish to start a career in the oil & gas industry, hence the reason why I moved from Toronto to Calgary.

I already have my Curriculum Vitae on the major oil company websites and the regular job sites (workopolis, monster, hotjobs, etc) and have made contacts with the HR managers at Bantrel, Colt, Fluor, etc.

I ask, because at times, it's not what you know, but who you know that can make all the difference.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kaput; 03-13-2019 at 05:34 AM.

My Ride

Thanks kaput.

I am not a member of APEGGA at this point. I still have to apply in this province. I've only applied for my license and EIT (engineer in training) status in Ontario.

I'll google search the website. Thanks again.

Apply for APEGGA, good step.

I will talk to my dad as he works with tons of Engineers all day long and goes over who they hire and such so maybe he will have a lead on a job or be able to help you with some names or something.

Default Re: Engineering Contacts/Positions?

Originally posted by axluz
    I ask, because at times, it's not what you know, but who you know that can make all the difference.
    So true. All of my jobs have been obtained through connections, except for two that were summer jobs unrelated to my career.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

To join APEGGA I believe you need 4 or 5 years of experience working as an Engineer.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride

Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
    Apply for APEGGA, good step.

I will talk to my dad as he works with tons of Engineers all day long and goes over who they hire and such so maybe he will have a lead on a job or be able to help you with some names or something.
    Any assistance that you can provide would be greatly appreciated AllGoNoShow. I'm willing to accept any entry level position somewhat or even loosely related to chemistry or chemical engineering.

I have to wait for the approval for EIT status from Ontario first before I apply for APEGGA, but seeing as I did graduate from an accredited univeristy in Ontario, that won't take long, so long as my check clears. According to an APEGGA representative, it would be easier this way.

My Ride

Originally posted by Seanith
    To join APEGGA I believe you need 4 or 5 years of experience working as an Engineer.
    It would be under APEGGA M.I.T. (members in training). The same thing as Ontario's PEO (professional engineers of ontario) E.I.T. (engineers in training). After a pre-determined amount of working years.. the M.I.T. or E.I.T. has the qualifications to become a full fledged member. But applying for either one shows employers your determination to pursue a career in the engineering field.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

Yup, the 4 years' working experience is a pre-requisite to apply for your P.Eng. designation. Then you can write the exam.

My Ride

^ Thanks crazyning. I'll be sending my CV to them.

My Ride
    '05 Mazda3

Default Re: Re: Engineering Contacts/Positions?

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

So true. All of my jobs have been obtained through connections, except for two that were summer jobs unrelated to my career.
    I agree also. I've (well connections helped) managed to get myself a job at Colleaux Engineering as a summer student just after completing first year.

My Ride

Thanks again crazyning. Where did you find these places? Before coming to Calgary I did google searches on oil/energy industries in alberta and applied to them. When I arrived I received more contacts from relatives in the industry.

The ones you posted are new to me.

Thanks again. Keep them coming.

Last edited by kaput; 03-13-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Thanks again crazyning. Where did you find these places? Before coming to Calgary I did google searches on oil/energy industries in alberta and applied to them. When I arrived I received more contacts from relatives in the industry.

The ones you posted are new to me.

Thanks again. Keep them coming.
    I did a little bit of work at an Oil and Gas company a few months back, and these are a few of the companies that would provide oil field services. I just post them as they come back into my memory.

I do come across some of them while job searching, and I'll definitely make an effort to post them also.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Default Re: Engineering Contacts/Positions?

I'm going to suggest an attitide change here...

..it's not who you know, but who you meet (which in turn becomes who you know).

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Engineering Contacts/Positions?

Originally posted by Tyler883

I'm going to suggest an attitide change here...

..it's not who you know, but who you meet (which in turn becomes who you know).
    True. Attitude altered upon suggestion.

But who you know, may lead to who you meet (which in turn becomes who you know).

Crazyning: Anymore companies you can think of?

Leave your resume on the following companies websites:

Husky Energy
    CNRL
    Encana
    Talisman Energy
    Nexen
    Petro Canada
    etc.

Some service companies that are hring are:

Baker Hughes
    Schlumberger
    Precision Drilling