Quantcast
Emissions testing coming to alberta....but its not as bad as it could be - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emissions testing coming to alberta....but its not as bad as it could be

My Ride
    RX-7/92 toyota pickup

Default Emissions testing coming to alberta....but its not as bad as it could be

http://www.canada.com/calgary/story.asp?id={FFB1CEB9-21C3-4804-85DF-411B604EFA83}
    You need to copy the brackets to this link for it to work.

Atleast they aren't going to give any penaltys if you fail the test.

I took the emissions test environment canada had set up at northland mall in the summer and was 9 times over the limit they said. Two of the guys there said it was the worst test they had ever seen. So I (and probly and a lot of other forum members) would be screwed if they were giving out penaltys.

m@+CH Guest

serious??
    its not like like the cops pull u over and check u're emissions level so it should be easy to get away with

I was reading the herald article too...apparently it's a drive through thing where the infrared censors detect your emissions and snap a photo of your license if it fails...neat stuff.

My Ride
    a wrx.

hah my car would fail the emissions test pretty good...after i install the straight pipe, there wont be a single piece of emissions equipment in my car.

following my car will be following a toxic death cloud of poison gas

My Ride
    Civic

Default Re: Emissions testing coming to alberta....but its not as bad as it could be

Originally posted by ecstasyracer
    http://www.canada.com/calgary/story.asp?id={FFB1CEB9-21C3-4804-85DF-411B604EFA83}
    You need to copy the brackets to this link for it to work.

Atleast they aren't going to give any penaltys if you fail the test.

I took the emissions test environment canada had set up at northland mall in the summer and was 9 times over the limit they said. Two of the guys there said it was the worst test they had ever seen. So I (and probly and a lot of other forum members) would be screwed if they were giving out penaltys.

The penalty is your fucking up the air that you breathe, and in the future were not gonna have nice clean air anymore.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by m@+CH
    serious??
    its not like like the cops pull u over and check u're emissions level so it should be easy to get away with
    I think they will link it with your insurance or registration. They won't insure your car or renew your registration unless you pass.

Default Re: Re: Emissions testing coming to alberta....but its not as bad as it could be

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 06:25 PM.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: Re: Re: Emissions testing coming to alberta....but its not as bad as it could be

Originally posted by kaput

Driving cars is one of the worst things we can do, why make it worse?
    performance gains

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Emissions testing coming to alberta....but its not as bad as it could be

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    performance gains

performance > environment

btw, see sig
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Emissions testing coming to alberta....but its not as bad as it could be

Originally posted by finboy

performance > environment

btw, see sig
    times 2

if we get emissions testing... i'm sooo... fucked along with half the people on this board . i'm pretty sure my car is putting out more emissions then any old beater...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Re: Emissions testing coming to alberta....but its not as bad as it could be

Originally posted by Blue Devil 2
    The penalty is your fucking up the air that you breathe, and in the future were not gonna have nice clean air anymore.
    Poor automobile emissions is the last thing you should be worried about if you care about air quality and the environment. Even if all the cars are taken off the road today, the dent is so small, it won't be noticable.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

So everyone have to go and try to pass the test?? Is it a mandatory test??

My Ride
    a wrx.

yea geez guys, dont u guys watch david suzuki? global warming will soon melt the polar ice and release a shitload of co2 thatll make car pollution seem like peanuts

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's a voluntary test. They did this back in 92 or 93. I used to have a nice "I Drive Green" sticker on my car after passing the test!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

haha. screw the test..... i'll just go steal a sticker off someone elses car. hahaha.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

meah, screw that, If I ever have to take the test, I'll save them all the time and tell them I would fail.

Major industry and 3rd world countries are fucking up this planet far more than my 1.8L VW motor.

Sure the environment is important to me, but we need to see a global change, not just a few more people on the roads with proper emmisions controls.

So yeah, whatever, Testing or not, I'm not changing. THey have to make it worthwhile to pass...give me a tax break or some sort of Monetary incentive, cause as cold hearted as it sounds, "Saving the Environment" doesn't do it for me.
    Travel

My Ride
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe

Is it just me, or is that article completely insane?

The basic inputs for combustion are hydrocarbons (fuel) and oxygen. The basic output, given "perfect" combustion, is water and C02.

Any place I know of, including California and BC, are basically concerned about the results of imperfect combustion, basically hydrocarbon and sulfur oxides. In the atmosphere, these can cause smog, acid rain, etc. depending on their location and conditions in the atmosphere.

But the article says Alberta won't be measuring these, but strictly C02.

If you're engine is working at it's peak, it will be making more C02 instead of these other byproducts. If your engine is not working properly, it will be making less C02 and more byproducts... in effect it would rate better on these proposed "tests". The only way you can elimintate greenhouse gases from cars is by eliminating combustion engines.

Also, the volume of C02 produced doesn't really mean much unless you compare it to the work done. Having a low volume of C02 doesn't mean much if you're running a 2 stroke scooter vs a vehicle that carries more load or people.

California has actually DROPPED emissions testing for older performance cars, simply because they're never driven enough to amount to any significant amount of gas production.

Alberta tested their a large number of their school bus fleet a few years ago, and the majority of them failed, and a large percent were deemed to have unsafe levels of emissions entering the passenger area. It's hard to take an article like this seriously when you know large fleets of government and corporate vehicles are producing far more emissions, and that's not going to change, because nobody wants to pay what it would cost to upgrade them.

My Ride
    BMW

The way i see it is screw emissions. By the time anything serious really happens we'll probably be dead! So i say scew emissions.

Nick

"Taylor (environment minister) plans to introduce the program to his government for discussion early this year. "

He was already quoted on the news before this was published saying something to the effect of "it's not going to happen anytime soon" - so I wouldn't worry about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast