Quantcast
lens and misc camera question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: lens and misc camera question

My Ride
    Sentra

Default lens and misc camera question

I went to the camera store today, they let me try on a few lenses and take a couple pics. I am looking for a wider angle lens, I have a 50mm right now, which is nice and fast and great for indoors.

I need a wide angle for some outdoor photos, and group shots, I tried a 28-200 which I really liked because I think it will be more versatile and the zoom was quite nice . the other was umm...24-85 I believe, 24mm-something for sure.

the price difference is minimal, only $50 more for the nice zoom. Is there any reason not to get the 28-200? I guess im just looking for some opinions since I am quite the newb still and need a little help deciding, well I want the 28-200 but not really sure of other options that I should be looking at.

they were both canon EF lenses.

on a somewhat related matter where can I buy a nice hard plastic case to hold the camera and a couple lenses? they had some at the store but $100 for a case and foam is too much, I can get foam elsewhere for dirt cheap but cannot find a good case.

thanks for the help guys!!!

do a search in the review section of www.fredmiranda.com and see what others say about the lenses. Generally, the larger the zoom range, the poorer the image quality. What you might want to do is look at the images taken from both lenses full size on your computer. See if you notice a difference.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by lint
    do a search in the review section of www.fredmiranda.com and see what others say about the lenses. Generally, the larger the zoom range, the poorer the image quality. What you might want to do is look at the images taken from both lenses full size on your computer. See if you notice a difference.
    alright, i should have taken better pics, I mainly took them to compare the difference between width of the pic taken. pics i took kinda suck to compare quality.

The 2 lens you looked at were prob the
    EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and
    EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 basic or USM series

Both have f3.5 so that they should be fast enuff tho the 24mm would faster of the 2 because it is wider...

The 200mm has a lens size of 72mm which means it will let tons of light in when you are at full zoom, so darker photos or using a slower shutter speed shouldn't be a problem. (when compared to the 75-300mm lens which is only 58mm in dim)

What I do like about the 24mm is the internal manual focus ring. Which means if you take allot of landscape shots, chances are you will have a Cir Polarizer filter on it. If you turned the filter to the setting you wanted and then focused, because the focus ring is not attached to the filter it won't change the polarizer setting. If it was attached MF ring, you’d have to set the filter again....

Not sure if that makes any sense, but if you do a lot of outdoors stuff, go with the 24mm but if you just take fun family photos and don’t want to get into creative photography that much, you’ll have more fun with the 200mm.

(yah canon EF lens book, finally came into some use...)

My Ride
    Sentra

wow, I wish I had more time to learn this. I need to get a lens within a cople (max 3) weeks to take shots at a family function. It will be outdoors, the indoor shots I can use my 50mm.

I am trying to learn best I can. It seems like maybe I should get 2 lenses? One for wide angle and then a nice zoom starting about 50mm like 70 or something ya?

I mainly need something decent for nice outdoor shots for the event, some which will be printed 8x10.

Maybe some of you well informed people can give me some guidance, that would be super!

Here is a bit more info that might help, I mainly take outdoor shorts, scenic stuff, I goto the zoo alot to practice, but only have a 50mm right now as my only lens. I would like to take some nice closeup shots so eventually I want a cool zoom lens. Also wide angle for some huge outdoor shots, in the mountains, prairies, etc.

The 50mm I have right now has been working good for indoor shots, its a bit narrow at times and sometimes too wide lol.

I will keep reading up on that forum that was suggested also in the meantime.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

What is your budget? Would be happy to make some suggestions if I have an idea of what you're willing to pay.

Based on the lens' you have listed, likely around the 400-500 range.

If I were you and you wanted to keep cost down, keep the 50mm prime, and get a nice Wide Angle EF 20mm f/2.8 USM. Offers decent width and good performance in low light. I would then get a 70-200 4.0L for your zoom lens. Thats a bit more money, so save up, but at roughly 900-1000 bones, it's picture clarity is amazing!

70-200 f/4L
    Travel

My Ride
    Sentra

Well, I dont really have a budget. Anywhere from $400 to $1000. My priority right now is just making sure I have something nice for group people pictures outdoors at the end of July. It will most likely be nice and sunny. The zoom is for later for personal enjoyment, but if I get it now as part of the solution for the wide angle, fine by me.

So I wouldnt really be missing anything if I had the 50, the 20 and the 70-200 I guess? Will the 20 be fine in bright sunlight? I like how the 50 performs outdoors. It's quite nice.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Pihsiak
    Both have f3.5 so that they should be fast enuff tho the 24mm would faster of the 2 because it is wider...
    huh?

f3.5 is f3.5 is f3.5

Lens size has nothing to do with how fast a lens is. It has to do with how big the Aperture mechanism in the lens can open.

If what you are suggesting above were true, you would have to recalibrate your light meter in your camera everytime you put on a different lens.

The 200mm has a lens size of 72mm which means it will let tons of light in when you are at full zoom, so darker photos or using a slower shutter speed shouldn't be a problem.
    Slow shutter speeds have nothing to with the lens size. If the lens let's "tons of light in" then you won't need a slower shutter speed.

The advantage of a more expensive lens that is "faster" such as a 2.8 is that you can use a faster shutter speed (lessens the chance of camera shake) with less light.

Make sure you use the correct terms. I think what you were trying to tell him was that with more light being let into the lens, you won't have as many problems taking photos in darker situations.

But as I said, f3.5 is f3.5 on any lens. Sharpness at that aperture is a whole different story!
    Last edited by benyl; 06-29-2005 at 04:37 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Primes can make for some really good portrait lenses. If you're interested in something wider than the 50mm you got, there's a few posted on the Fred Miranda forums right now from Canadian sellers.

There's 35mm f/2 ($270), 20mm f/2.8 ($525), and 28mm f/2.8 with hood ($280). The person selling the 20mm and 28mm has had them posted for almost a week now with no offers, so I'm sure he or she's probably a bit flexible (and located in Edmonton too). And yes, any of these would be fine in the bright sunlight.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

The 200mm has a lens size of 72mm ...
    Uhh... That's the filter thread size.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Here's the 20mm in pretty bright sun as a landscape shot.
    Shot last weekend.

and wide open with some color contrasts.

Travel

My Ride
    Sentra

looks good. how far away were you on the 2nd shot Ben?

also, does anyone know where I can get a nice hard plastic case? like square in size, deep enough for the camera and will hold it and about 3 lenses. im gonna fill it with that foam shit.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Try MEC.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by GoChris
    looks good. how far away were you on the 2nd shot Ben?

also, does anyone know where I can get a nice hard plastic case? like square in size, deep enough for the camera and will hold it and about 3 lenses. im gonna fill it with that foam shit.
    I dunno, maybe 20 feet.

As for cases, Pelican cases are the best IMO, but they're pricey. I have one for my camera, and it affords me peice of mind knowing it's used by military for air drops, and is submergable up to 100 feet, and even has a purge valve.

FOr my daily activities if I need to transport it in rugged conditions, I know it'll hold up. Last thing I need is to damage my pride and joy.
    Travel

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by Ben

I dunno, maybe 20 feet.

As for cases, Pelican cases are the best IMO, but they're pricey. I have one for my camera, and it affords me peice of mind knowing it's used by military for air drops, and is submergable up to 100 feet, and even has a purge valve.

FOr my daily activities if I need to transport it in rugged conditions, I know it'll hold up. Last thing I need is to damage my pride and joy.
    where did you pick up that case?

I am still confused on lenses haha. I'm gonna read up some more, see some more photos if I can. There seems to be alot of used ones, so that will save me some $$ and then I can maybe get a slightly better one.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by GoChris

where did you pick up that case?

I am still confused on lenses haha. I'm gonna read up some more, see some more photos if I can. There seems to be alot of used ones, so that will save me some $$ and then I can maybe get a slightly better one.
    I got it way back 5 years ago from the Spy Store originally for my Beretta, I use the case for my cam every so often when I travel. Interchangable foam.
    Travel

My Ride
    Sentra

Wow theres alot of lens choices out there. Gets confusing for an amatuer. I am going to go with a 20mm I think based on suggestions from D'z Nutz and Ben and because I want a bit wider than the 24mm i thought I might originally get.

Just trying to find a used one for save some $$ but its proving a bit difficult. I have been searching on fredmiranda.com but so far no luck. If anyone by chance has or knows of one for sale, let me know. Where might be a good place to get a decent price on a new one if I need to go that router? The Camer Store? I need it within 2 weeks.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Here's the ad I was referring to:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/242924

My Ride
    Sentra

yes thanks I left him/her a PM earlier today, so just waiting on a reply.

Does that site have any sort of trader rating? I'm new so I'm probably the one that they will find sketchy hehe.

Anyway, what is a good price for that? $525 seems a bit high compared to what others on the forum were selling for? I was thinking $450 or $500 incl shipping.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Are you sure anyone else that's selling that lens has listed it in Canadian prices? The lens goes for $639.95 brand new at The Camera Store and $700 at Vistek. $525 sounds like a good price to me, plus it comes with a hood. You might be able to get it for $500 if he/she's desperate enough...

There's an Positive/Neutral comments thread sticked at the top of the marketplace forum. Just search for the username if you want to check on them.

Someone posted at Tokina 17mm that's sort of tempting. You lose a stop so it might not be as great as an indoor lens, but it's cheaper and wider.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast