Quantcast
Maybe Killed But Need Information - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maybe Killed But Need Information

Default Maybe Killed But Need Information

I got a few questions. Basically I have been putting money away to get a project car I would liek to play around with a rice rocket. But I am trying to find car that would be able to have alot of ENGINE mods done to it. However, I don't wanna get a car that is going to need more money put into than I could ever get back from the car. I just am trying to sorta get in the Rice scene and I don't know much about the cars I can do all engine mods and shit but I need help with actual car styles and what engines fit in which and when the styles changed...what would be some good sites to start out with looking at.

My Ride
    2002 BMW M3 SMG-II

Ok. First thing you need to do is stop referring to modified Japanese cars as "rice". The term originated from the serious tuners of Honda's and such, to describe the stupid kids that put huge wings, neon lights, and graphics all over their cars. The term "rice", still holds a derogatory meaning within the import community today. It's not a good thing to have a "riced out" car.

Next thing is, what do you want out of this car? Drag racer? Freeway? Autocross? Turbo, N/A?

You've got to ask yourself all of these questions. Figure out what you want, and then when you know what it is you want out of a car, then you can decide which car would be best for your application.

Keep in mind that imports aren't "bang for your buck" cars. Small displacement, n/a engines don't yield tons of power from bolt ons. Don't expect to be running 13's in a Civic with intake, header, and exhaust...it's not going to happen.
    2002 BMW M3 SMG-II TiSi/Blk
    Eisenmann 83mm Exhaust|Dinan Front Strut Bar|GC Coilovers|K&N Filters|Silvervision Signal Bulbs|Hamann Blackout Grill|Hamann Eyebrows|Hamann OE Brake Duct Covers|BMW Pedals|Alpine CVA-1005|Pioneer XM|iPod|PS2|MB Quartz Compnts.|Alpine Amps(2)|JL Audio 12" Subs(2)|Alpine PowerNav|Alpine 6 Disc Changer|Eibach Swaybars|18" SSR GT3's|Brembo Brake Kit 14"/12.9"|

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Maybe Killed But Need Information

Originally posted by CVPP
    I don't wanna get a car that is going to need more money put into than I could ever get back from the car.
    Spend your money on a fast car instead then, first rule of modifying cars : you'll never get any of the money back.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Dakota ... what? Yes, I know its a truck.

Default Re: Re: Maybe Killed But Need Information

Originally posted by rage2

Spend your money on a fast car instead then, first rule of modifying cars : you'll never get any of the money back.
    ... if you invest money in a car .. you'll be lucky to get half that money back when you sell ... more likely, you wont get any of that money out, but instead it'll just sell faster. definietly NOT an appreciating investment!

As for project cars of choice ... I'd tell you, but I'm looking for one right now so I don't want you scooping it up from under my nose! ha ha
    My Ride
    "Nobody snuggles with Max Power ... you strap yourself in and feel the G's" - Max Power

My Ride
    VW Jetta

Default Re: Re: Maybe Killed But Need Information

...first rule of modifying cars : you'll never get any of the money back.
    So true.

I don't know how much money you want to spend, buy my bet would be on a Civic Hatch with a B18(C?).

My. 02
    Last edited by KoRnJD; 01-23-2003 at 11:52 AM.
    --------------------------------------------
    Ian Neumeyer
    (formerly of BMW Gallery)
    Toronto, Ontario

My Ride
    a wrx.

sounds like u need an mk4 supra

My Ride
    A l337 chair

Gen2 Integra. A 94 Integra will be about 10-12, just turbo the LS engine and you could spank a lot of cars. Lots of atermarket parts giving you a wide choice of looks, styles and performance.

Good fast reliable car for under 20k after mods..

If your looking to make a lot of power with minimal money, your best bet is to STEER CLEAR OF HONDAS. Mods cost a lot, and gains are minimal.

I'd go with something that's stock turbocharged (SR20DET would be a very good choice). Just something to think about.

My Ride
    A l337 chair

Originally posted by buh_buh
    a lot of power with minimal money
    That's true with ANY make of car. You can't put in a magical chip for 100 dollars and gain 900 whp. Any car if you want it to go fast, you will pay through the roof. I think rage2 has a point, buy a fast car because the amount you put into a lesser car to make it equal to an originally faster car will be equal or greater than just buying a fast car in the first place.
    Last edited by mrmattyk; 01-23-2003 at 12:43 PM.

Originally posted by mrmattyk
    Any car if you want it to go fast, you will pay through the roof.
    not necesserily. It totally depends on what kind of a car you have. Typically domestics can make pretty big power without heavily modding it. If your spending the same amount on a Civic vs. a Mustang, the Mustang will yield MUCH more power gains compared to a Civic. That's why I say if your looking to make a lot of power with the least amount of money possible, try steering clear of Hondas.

That's true with ANY make of car. You can't put in a magical chip for 100 dollars and gain 900 whp.
    I'm well aware of that. I didn't say spend NO money and get mods, I said spend MINIMAL. Meaning spend the least amount as possible while getting all the power you can out of that money. Maybe you should read more carefully before you post.

My Ride
    91 Civic

mrmattyk: Whats the kids name in your sig?
    Originally posted by Ridelikeme

preludes are definately not slow.. they are the corvettes of the honda 4cylinder world..they float

My Ride
    A l337 chair

Originally posted by buh_buh

I said spend MINIMAL. Meaning spend the least amount as possible while getting all the power you can out of that money. Maybe you should read more carefully before you post.
    True enough. The point I was trying to make is, modding is quite expensive even for the basics (cost of mod, install, in some cases maintenance). It's probably better to just buy a fast car in the first place.

The guy in my sig by the way is someone who played computer games for 11 hours, and 54 minutes without food, water or generally getting up. I think he calls himself 'Dyez'.
    Last edited by mrmattyk; 01-23-2003 at 01:13 PM.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Well, obviously the faster a car is, the more expensive it is... Look at rage's AMG for an example...Hella fast car...and a painful price tag to go with it. Your average person wanting to build a project car cant afford that.
    Like, if i had enough money, i would DEFINITLY, not get an RSX-S or an MR2 Turbo or a 240 w/ SR20 conversion... and i would rather get a car such as a Mk4 Supra, AMG of any kind, M3, etc.
    But the average person cant afford that, and most people dont wanna go that far in debt to get one...

Which is what makes somewhat performance cars (Honda's etc) an easy choice for many people.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
    Which is what makes somewhat performance cars (Honda's etc) an easy choice for many people.
    hate to break it to you bud, but most hondas aren't performance cars...

i agree with buh buh, if you're looking to put as little of a dent in your wallet as possible with mods, i would definitely steer clear of hondas. they're definitely not the way to go as far as being able to save money.

My Ride
    MDX

True enough. The point I was trying to make is, modding is quite expensive even for the basics (cost of mod, install, in some cases maintenance). It's probably better to just buy a fast car in the first place.
    No, its not.
    Think about it. An AMG SLK32 runs about mid-high 13's in the 1/4 mile. And according to the MB website, an AMG SLK starts from around 56k USD, which is equivilent to almost 90k Canadian.
    for $90k Canadian you could build a MUCH MUCH MUCH faster car than an AMG (not that I would choose to do that). And for a lot of people, they can't afford a "fast" car to begin with, so they have to mod with what they have.
    I say if your looking to build a car strictly for speed, and you want it to be "rice", I say start with an old 240 and throw in a SR20det.

if i had $90k.... i would take the slk amg over any "project" car.... hahaha. but thats just me.

Well I think I have found my project car...I was leaning towards imports but I think I am going to have to stick with domestic. I found someone with an dodge charger r/t (boasts the hemi) however, it needs alot of body work and interior so I think that is what I am going to be going with. However, I am also thinking about doing a pontiac fiero 350 switch? Anyone do any of these and know how hard it is the first time you do it?

My Ride
    VW Jetta

Originally posted by CVPP
    Well I think I have found my project car...I was leaning towards imports but I think I am going to have to stick with domestic. I found someone with an dodge charger r/t (boasts the hemi) however, it needs alot of body work and interior so I think that is what I am going to be going with. However, I am also thinking about doing a pontiac fiero 350 switch? Anyone do any of these and know how hard it is the first time you do it?
    There are a couple of guys in the local Fiero club that have done engine conversions...one 350 and a couple of 3.4L V6s I think...
    --------------------------------------------
    Ian Neumeyer
    (formerly of BMW Gallery)
    Toronto, Ontario

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    if i had $90k.... i would take the slk amg over any "project" car.... hahaha. but thats just me.
    If I had $90K
    I would buy a WRX for winter and a S2000 for summer

You want a quick car? What about those DSMs? Talons, Eclipse, Lasers, Daytonas etc....now they will respond well to mods! Cheap and fast! Not sure about reliability though!
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast