Quantcast
wider wheels on AWD - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: wider wheels on AWD

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

Default wider wheels on AWD

my car is AWD but i want to put 8" wheels on the front and 9.5" on the back, ive been told its a bad idea but why? what would this cause in the long run?

My Ride
    2002 BMW 325Ci

Just do it.
    Some people will tell you that its a bad idea because the set up is meant for rwd cars, but screw them. Staggered setups own and it will look killer on our cars.

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

so it wont damage my car?

My Ride
    2002 BMW 325Ci

HELL NO!
    There is no way it will cause damage.

My Ride
    V167

wurd to the factor of staggered y0!!
    Slam, stretch and poke should be words you guys live by

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

do the ones in my sig look like they are 8" in the front and 9.5 in the back?

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

ive herd they are TSW volcanos but is there anyway to blow up the center cap and see what they are for sure????

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by DC2uned
    Just do it.
    Some people will tell you that its a bad idea because the set up is meant for rwd cars, but screw them. Staggered setups own and it will look killer on our cars.
    Staggered setups "own" on oversteer prone cars, which isn't an AWD car, that's for sure.

Your AWD car will understeer pretty bad with a staggered setup IMO.

And as far as damage goes, I don't really see what could happen, except for maybe stressing your center diff with the constant difference in traction.

My Ride
    2002 BMW 325Ci

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    wurd to the factor of staggered y0!!
    Slam, stretch and poke should be words you guys live by

Your car=

Originally posted by civicrider
    do the ones in my sig look like they are 8" in the front and 9.5 in the back?
    You can't really tell by looking i don't think, but probably close.
    Here is a link of staggered setup with 8" front and 9.5" rear.

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread...threadid=56943

My Ride
    FAT tires

Default Re: wider wheels on AWD

my car is AWD but i want to put 8" wheels on the front and 9.5" on the back, ive been told its a bad idea but why? what would this cause in the long run?

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    Staggered setups "own" on oversteer prone cars, which isn't an AWD car, that's for sure.

Your AWD car will understeer pretty bad with a staggered setup IMO.

And as far as damage goes, I don't really see what could happen, except for maybe stressing your center diff with the constant difference in traction.

If the OD of the tire is near identical there 'shouldnt' be a problem with anything breaking, but as jeff pointed out if you like your corners then the center diff might take a massive beating. And it was also mentioned that youll kill the handling balance of the car

And IMO staggered wheels dont look anybetter than massive wheels all around. But if your a show car weenie and have to have a look thats wrong for your car and are willing to suffer potential consequences then go nuts

My Ride
    2002 BMW 325Ci

Default Re: Re: wider wheels on AWD

Originally posted by tsi_neal
    If the OD of the tire is near identical there 'shouldnt' be a problem with anything breaking, but as jeff pointed out if you like your corners then the center diff might take a massive beating. And it was also mentioned that youll kill the handling balance of the car

And IMO staggered wheels dont look anybetter than massive wheels all around. But if your a show car weenie and have to have a look thats wrong for your car and are willing to suffer potential consequences then go nuts
    So if you like a certain look you are a car show weenie??
    And how is a look wrong for a car? As far as things breaking, there is no way in hell that the center diff will face enough stress to break, from the WHOPPING 1.5" difference. Get your head out of you ass.

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

hmm i do like corners and i want to have good handling, will it effect it that much?

My Ride
    2002 BMW 325Ci

hmm i do like corners and i want to have good handling, will it effect it that much?
    NO!
    You will not noice a difference in corners at all.

My Ride
    FAT tires

Default Re: Re: Re: wider wheels on AWD

So if you like a certain look you are a car show weenie??
    And how is a look wrong for a car? As far as things breaking, there is no way in hell that the center diff will face enough stress to break, from the WHOPPING 1.5" difference. Get your head out of you ass.

NO!
    You will not noice a difference in corners at all.

I think your head is in your ass, first of all ive played around with different tire sizes on RWD cars, and the difference in handling just from going from a 205 to a 215 to a 225 in the rear all while keeping a 205 in the front was VERY dramatic.

Secondly audi differentials are very sensitive to different tire sizes, any difference in OD and id call breakage, difference in width, im not sure and would probably depend on driving habits, but i wouldnt risk it.

This is assuming that there will be wider tires on the wider wheels of course, and if there isnt then the wider wheels will look worse...

Oh and car show guys are weenies when they do gay things because they think it looks better, make it drive better and look better at the same time and there is a good mod.

CIVICRIDER, the smart thing to do would be figure out how wide you can fit on the front and get that all around, and cram as wide a tire on as will fit, things will look extremely good.

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

yeah but it might look dumb with a fat lip on the front wheels too

My Ride
    FAT tires

yeah but it might look dumb with a fat lip on the front wheels too
    Naw, keep it the same, Beemers run deep rims on the front all the time and they look good.
    i dont have any pics but i helped fit some 265's on all 4 corners of a talon not long ago, and it looked SICK. Had to roll the front fenders to clear the tires. Stuck out just a touch on the front, and just tucked on on the back. awesome looking, and makes my 245's feel tiny. Now doing this we werent so much into the look of it, but rather getting as much rubber on the ground as possible. but neither of us could deny how good it looked.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

You can't really tell by looking i don't think, but probably close.
    Here is a link of staggered setup with 8" front and 9.5" rear.

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread...threadid=56943

Did you read this thread? It clearly says the wheels are 19x8.5.. (Both front and rear)

Axis wheels do differemt offsets to allow for these lips, they are the EXACT same width. If you want lip, and dont want to possibly screw with your differential, go for Axis or Jazz wheels, as I think they both do this. (Same company at one point)
    Looking at the wheels on your sig, it appears they are the exact same size, most likely 8.5 width.. any more and you WILL rub, I can almost guarantee! (I rub with 8.5's and my drop isnt that drastic)

If you want more info about why staggered wheels is a poor choice try a real Audi website like Audiworld.. IMO AZ =Kraut!

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

the wheels in my sig are 8's on the front and 9.5's on the back its all they are available in

My Ride
    2002 BMW 325Ci

Originally posted by R-Audi

Did you read this thread? It clearly says the wheels are 19x8.5.. (Both front and rear)

Axis wheels do differemt offsets to allow for these lips, they are the EXACT same width. If you want lip, and dont want to possibly screw with your differential, go for Axis or Jazz wheels, as I think they both do this. (Same company at one point)
    Looking at the wheels on your sig, it appears they are the exact same size, most likely 8.5 width.. any more and you WILL rub, I can almost guarantee! (I rub with 8.5's and my drop isnt that drastic)

If you want more info about why staggered wheels is a poor choice try a real Audi website like Audiworld.. IMO AZ =Kraut!
    Uhhh first off calm down.
    Second read his response as to what the wheel size is, he answers 19x8.
    And since the lip is obviously different from the front to back i figured 19x8 front and 19x9.5 back.
    Last edited by DC2uned; 07-26-2005 at 09:45 PM.

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

is there anyway to pull out the back fenders without major bodywork, like maybe an inch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast