Quantcast
Want to buy an RC car, any good websites? Any recomendations? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Want to buy an RC car, any good websites? Any recomendations?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Default Want to buy an RC car, any good websites? Any recomendations?

I want to buy the most enjoyable RC car I can find. I want something fast and fun. I dont want to waste my money buying something that I will want to sell 3 months later. I know nothing about these things so any guidance is appreciated. Thanks

Ryan
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    1986 327iT mtech1

well how much are you looking to spend? Nitro or Elec?
    on road or off road?

My Ride

Nitro for sure. Dont know what scale but one of the larger ones, I want an on road race car. Dont want to spend over $1000

Ryan
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    00 GTS

The most popular are 1/10scale touring cars. Get one of these, anything larger will cost a lot more. Plus, I think they race 1/10 touring cars every week at the track.
    I had an HPI rs4 racer, but now i drive a Serpent Impulse. The racer was a recreational toy, the Impulse is a serious racing machine. For a few hundred more, it's ten times as good. Get a Serpent. Depending on how serious you are about the hobby, a little extra cash to get better equipment is always worth it.

www.carcar.ca
    www.modelland.com

Go to model land and talk to Don. Or maybe go to the track on a practice or race day and see what's up.

Beware, this hobby is f'in expensive!

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Default Re: Want to buy an RC car, any good websites? Any recomendations?

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I want to buy the most enjoyable RC car I can find. I want something fast and fun. I dont want to waste my money buying something that I will want to sell 3 months later. I know nothing about these things so any guidance is appreciated. Thanks

Ryan
    Ryan, Zorro is into this R/C stuff..I myself have an electric, but that's for kicks trying to dori dori...haha...

Shoot Zorro a PM and I am sure he can help ya out...
    ...@therealarifjina...

Go to PM, talk to young Ryan there and tell him you know me, tell him your situation and he'll hook you up. I've been out of the game for about 2.5 yrs now and technology changes like CPU's

www.actionhobby.ca in the SE also has some R/C stuff in stock and all posted online in a catalog.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I've been out of the game for a few years but you probably late in the season to start Nitro touring, there probably not many weekends left.

But if you just want to trash around, hockey rinks and some parking lots have pretty good surface. Just make sure you sweep up the debris.

If you don't think you'll be serious, just pick up an RTR kit and go. Otherwise, http://www.carcar.ca/ has practices/races almost every other Sunday, check it out and decide what you want to invest. $1000 isn't much if you're serious about the sport.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-27-2005 at 11:35 AM.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I have an HPI RS4 for sale......
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

So what is an hp1 RS4? How are these things classified?

Ryan

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    93 Civic SI

i have an elec and it's decently fast. not as fast as the nitro mind but it can haul if ya want it too. Buy an elec and see if you even like the hobby then if you enjoy it upgrade to something more serious.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

i know the cars are cool, but i prefer the trucks myself as you can have them on road and off- unlimited playground.
    but for 800 bucks i bet you can a serious car that'll do 60mph
    or a truck that'll do high 30's and go anywhere.

i like model land the best in calgary, very helpful staff. pms hobbycraft is like the super store of rc car's they have everything.

if you do want a truck i can sell you mine cheap as i'm not using it anymore.

goodluck with the rc

My Ride

Originally posted by skyline19
    i have an elec and it's decently fast. not as fast as the nitro mind but it can haul if ya want it too. Buy an elec and see if you even like the hobby then if you enjoy it upgrade to something more serious.
    Ive heard that guys are using the electrics for drifting. Is that true? I imagine because they dont overheat like a nitro engine would at low speeds.

Ryan

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Ive heard that guys are using the electrics for drifting. Is that true? I imagine because they dont overheat like a nitro engine would at low speeds.

Ryan

CivicDXR and I both have electrics that we use to drift Ryan.

the Tamiya RTR (ready to run) kits are what we are both using...
    ...@therealarifjina...

In terms of speed electrics are much faster in acceleration, basically right when you punch it you'll be getting your top speed within a couple seconds. The HPI RS4 is available in an electric platform and a nitro platform, both of which are considered touring cars. Unless you have a flat service with no gravel, as there aren't any tracks in Calgary for touring cars, its probably not the best option as they have little to no ground clearance.

I would personally go with something like an offroad truck such as the T-Maxx Revo or the HPI Savage 25 or SS. There are a few tracks where you can take it off jumps and race as well, as well you can run this thing pretty much around anywhere and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

As far as where to purchase it, I would probably go to Hobby Guys as they are probably one of the knoweldgeable as well as they will be willing to deal. Model Land is over priced...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Ryan
    Electric motor overheats just as bad as nitro if you push it. They'll probably need a 5-10min rest time after each pack of batteries.

Electric is lighter and motor has more torque so it's more fun for small tracks. But initial investment of battery packs/chargers and motors is higher. And if you want to run all day, you need to be close to an electrical outlet to recharge you batteries. And if you plan to run it in Winter, it'll be indoor electric only.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Electric is lighter and motor has more torque so it's more fun for small tracks. But initial investment of battery packs/chargers and motors is higher. And if you want to run all day, you need to be close to an electrical outlet to recharge you batteries. And if you plan to run it in Winter, it'll be indoor electric only.
    I have a field charger...I can run it off of my car's battery...
    ...@therealarifjina...