Quantcast
Pros and Cons of 2nd Generation MR2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Pros and Cons of 2nd Generation MR2

Default Pros and Cons of 2nd Generation MR2

So, I'm looking at some of the MR2s that are being sold on the various import websites. The majority of them look like they're in decent condition, and for a decent price.

Is there anything I should look out for when buying these cars? Is it an ideal car for a novice to work on?
    Are there places that specialize in repairing the work that I can't/won't attempt to do?
    Are parts easily obtainable?

Let me know what you guys think...

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Try I search dude, lots of info in this section pertaining to the pros and cons.

The earlier trannies in the 90s 91s 92s are hit and miss. Common to see synchros wear out.
    Not the easiest to work on but not the hardest but would not say its for a novice.
    I dont know of any calgary mr2 repair shops as I do my own work.
    Parts are easy to get but are not cheap
    When buying from auction remember you get what you pay for.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    996TT

Maintenance is expesnsive...... Especially when modding. These cars like all turbo cars, break.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I'm not an MR2 expert by any means but I believe the later 2nd gen MR2's have better rear suspension than the early 90's ones.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

The early suspension is fine, you just need to learn how to drive a car with a little snap oversteer.

Ryan
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

I'm not an MR2 expert by any means but I believe the later 2nd gen MR2's have better rear suspension than the early 90's ones.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by jvillain

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What? The early 2nd gens had a reputation of being scary/dangerous at the limits. Were changes made to help? Yes.

[rant]

I have driven both under racing conditions and on the street. Which one is better for you depends on your driving style. I like a car that rotates very easy so for me the 91/92 has a better suspension. For some one who likes that front end plowing effect a 93+ is a better answer.

Having said that though you can tune either one to act the same way as the other. The 93 did have the benifit of heavier sways and was dropped a 1/2 inch. On the road this means nothing. On the race track you are gonna scrap all that anyways.

The biggest problem with these cars isn't a 91/92 issue. It is a people don't know how to f*cking drive problem. If you take any mid engine car out and try to drive it like a front wheel drive car, which most people do because they have never driven a mid engine before the results are predictable.

If you are obeying the speed limit you can play the fool all day long in these cars and not have any problems. It is people carrying way more speed than they shoud, realizing the fact once they are to far in and then chickening out and trying to brake in a corner that has given these cars the reputation they have. But that is NOT how you should be driving these cars.

All cars have limits. The secret to driving one safe or fast is to know where those limits are. The MR2s limits are much, much farther out there than most cars but they still exist. Unfortunatly it is hard to know where the limit is with out going there first. As with all high performance cars it is a fine line between on the edge and over the edge.

I am endlessly telling people that the best way to learn where those limits are is to try autoxing. One event will tell you more about your driving skills and the limits of your car than the last 5 years on the road will.

Then you won't be tempted to over cook a corner. And if some thing happens on the road in front of you you will automatically know whether you can brake for it or if you have a better chance trying to drive around the problem. As well if you have spun it a few times you know what you can and can't do to try and save it.

For the record once you are going backwards in one of these cars stand on the brakes with both feet because there is nothing you can do to correct it. Stick a ball in a sock and throw it and you will get the idea.

Once you have learnt how to drive one of these cars your biggest risk by far will not be spinning it off of a corner. It will be getting rear ended because the guy behind you couldn't stop any where near as fast as you.

[/rant]