Quantcast
opinions on parents buying their kids cars, houses..etc - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: opinions on parents buying their kids cars, houses..etc

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

People who are spoiled or treated well by their parents should feel fortunate, dont take advantage of the situation, cause even though they may give you nice things they work very hard for it and hopfully you can do the same for your kids, being spoiled is sometimes an incentive but also you cant take it too far you might corrupt your kid, but some people arent as fortunate as others, but dont hate on the ones driving around in fancy cars because one day if you work hard enough that could be you in a nice new car!

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Meah, I never got everything, paid for everything myself, school, car, insurance, clothes...

am I upset about this? No...was it that my parents cound't afford it? no. it was the way they were brought up. They taught me dicipline and perservearance. They have worked very hard for everything they have...and they believe in me that I can accomplish the same or better.

Does it anger me to see these snot nosed 16 ear old kids rollin in these completely "Tricked Out rides ( )" thinkin they are all hardcore and all...with no concept of what it means to "Earn Something" yeah, a bit...

So much emphasis is placed on appearance...these jokers get all and more because of what, nothing they did other than be born basically.

All the time I have people tell me "Dude, your cars a piece of shit" or "When you gonna sell that thing and buy a nice car"?

Thes comments almost ALWAYS come from some clown whos parents bought them everything under the sun...

If I had the money for a 996 TT I would own one...do people think I enjoy driving around in an older (but still a neat little car nonetheless) vehicle when alot of people I know drive, well lets just say not budget vehicles...

Far to much is based on image...I bust my ass, work hard in school, and work, just to survive basically, and then people who were given all and more have the nerve to criticise me...

Call me odd, but to them, they get the good ole STFU Picture.

Sooner or later they will figure out that Life is more than hand outs and bliss...

Dont get me wrong. I'm not saying ALL PEOPLE who were given stuff by thier parents are bad, just the ones who take it for granted and dont know how to appreciate anything... For some parents it is important to them to give thier kids everything, and as long at the one on the recieving end can respect it and know more about where it comes from (hard work, smart decisions)than what it physically is. My parents wanted to see me earn things on my own, which I think has been a real reality check...I also find I have more self pride, seeing what I can acomplish. If my parents are to give me things, I am thankful, but it is not something I expect...

I'm going to stop rambling now...I think you all get my drift.

Last edited by Ben; 06-27-2002 at 09:33 AM.
    Travel

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I think that it varies from individual to individual..my parents help me out for the important things such as school, materials, laptop, some clothes once in a while but when I move away again to Toronto in the fall I'm on my own terms of rent and food and that fuckign sucks, especially in Toronto. My parents want me to learn responsibility and I understand that but damn it affects my school work and that sucks. i haev to get a part tiem job to pay for my car insurance, my rent and expenses. Every vehicle I've owned or own I bought myself but I certainly wouldnt disagree with my parents if they bought me a nice imola red m3 convertible. It would make my life so much easier and take so many unecessary worries away.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    2000 Toyota Celica GT

I have no problems with parents spoiling their kids... geez... I was spoiled to death as a kid. Until I was 16 and got my first job. Ever since then I have paid for just about everything I own. My parents bought me a car as a grad present... it was an 89 Ford Probe... and I only got it cuz it was a sweet deal. That's the biggest gift I have gotten from them since I started working.

There are two things that piss me off... one is when people lie about the things they get. I have a 'friend' who's parents bought him a brand new BMW. He claimes that he paid cash for this car on his $8/hour part time (12 hours a week) retail salary (the guy just turned 23, you do the math). It would be all good if my parents bought me a BWM but what would be the point in lying about how I got it? His parents paid for everything including tuition, rent, insurance (but he'll tell you different) and now his parents are building him a new home. I'm just waiting for him to tell me how he paid for that himself as well...

The second thing that pisses me off is when people 'assume' that since your parents are 'well off' that they bought everything for you. I work hard for what I have and I am proud to say that I have paid for all of it... but then you get those a$$holes that call you a 'daddy's girl' and talk sh*t about you and compare you to people like the guy I mentioned above... I am paying for my car, I pay my own tuition, insurance and luckily I don't have to pay rent.

Wow... I'm getting really bitter... better stop now.... anyway... if you get stuff from your parents good for you... hehe... would your parents like to adopt a daughter??

have you guys ever wondered what kind of families these so called "rich" kids come from? most of the time "mom and dad are off to run their business", or "looks like they have another business trip". leaves the kids to take care of themselves. buys their kids cars, houses, etc to try to make up for lost time. i'm sure a lot of these "rich" kids would give up everything they have for better parents in child hood years and raise them to be better after they see how the real works.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

When worst comes to worst the crack slinging game is always there to help make the MR2 look her best
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

damn i wish my parents would buy me a BMW and a house... that would kick ass!

Originally posted by sexualbanana

this reminds me of a story:
    I took a defensive driving course at AMA one day, and this one guy in my class was talking about how he once drove his truck into a GIGANTIC puddle, on purpose. Only to find out it was basically a deep lake in the middle of a construciton zone. This completely flooded his engine, and so he needed a new car. His dad buys hima brand new car (didnt' say what it was).
    A month or two after he got the new car, he hits a wall. Light tap, but just enough to mess up the body work. So what does he do?? He goes to another construction site, starts nailing his car against another wall (or pole) and told his dad and the insurance company that it was a hit & run. The result of this? Damage ends up being so bad, the car gets written off, and the insurance company finds out, and charges him with insurance fraud.
    By this time, everyone in the room is like "You're fucking retarded!" (and similar comments).
    His reply is "It's okay! My dad's being me another brand new car in a month, and he pays for the insurance anyway."
    After the class is over, everyone's walking to their cars, while that guy is already in his big 4x4 truck. To leave a lasting impression with everyone, he nails one of those small medians that are in parking lots going a good 40km/h, comes 2 inches from a hitting the brickwall that makes up the side of the AMA building, and cuts off a few cars while turning onto 17th ave.

Now people like that should be shot, and his parents should be given am ass whooping
    i wonder if i will see anyone like this in edmonton when i take my drivers training.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by sexualbanana

this reminds me of a story:
    <snip>

Man, that's pretty bad!! My friend once went out with this chick that was pretty spoiled herself. One time he wanted to go do something, so he suggested they meet somewhere downtown. Her reply: "Daddy's not home to drive me, and I don't do buses."

And when her parents bought her like a brand new Rav4 or 4Runner (can't remember which), she literally broke down crying with streams of tears running down her cheeks because they didn't get her what she wanted. Her parents felt so bad that they let her down, they returned the vehicle and got her what she wanted.

The last I heard of her was that she moved down to Lethbridge to go to school, and dispite the fact they drove to Lethbridge every weekend to bring her groceries, she was under the assumption that she was being "independent".

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    When worst comes to worst the crack slinging game is always there to help make the MR2 look her best

You mean ass slinging, right?
    Speed Kills

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

hahaha
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Corolla

Either way in the end, its how the kid hanndles himselve with it. If their parent taught them right, they will know how to be humble with what they have. 'cause in the end, genuine humility earns respect.

Any kids should learn this.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by Superesc
    Either way in the end, its how the kid hanndles himselve with it. If their parent taught them right, they will know how to be humble with what they have. 'cause in the end, genuine humility earns respect.

Any kids should learn this.
    Genuine humility or humanity?

My Ride
    Corolla

I tink its humility I tink!

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Genuine humility or humanity?

Humility makes alot more sence in his blurb than does humanity, dont you agree?
    Travel

My Ride
    335i

I just don't see how humility earns respect
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Corolla

humbleness my dear friend, Humbleness heheheh

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

I personally don't have a problem with people who's parents buy them everything IF they realize that they are lucky and don't take for granted the fact that there is going to be another car or house or job or such like that. Its the people who don't appreciate it that really burn me. Go ahead son, wreck as many cars as you like we'll get you a new one. Don't worry about flunking out of college despite the fact we paid your way, daddy'll get you a job as a VP in his company. Those are the kinds of people I have no respect for, and that really irritate me. Its at least partially jealousy, I'm honest about it. I'd love to be able to total my car and not end up being a pedestrian for awhile.

In all honesty, I will help my kids out when I have them and when they grow up, but only to a point. If it wasnt' for my parents paying for some of my books and tuition for a semester, I wouldn't have made it through college at all. I've been on my own to buy whatever frivulous crap I want, but when I get in a bind for something thats really important my parents have always been there to help me out.

My Ride
    '04 Subaru STi

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    I personally don't have a problem with people who's parents buy them everything IF they realize that they are lucky and don't take for granted the fact that there is going to be another car or house or job or such like that. Its the people who don't appreciate it that really burn me. Go ahead son, wreck as many cars as you like we'll get you a new one. Don't worry about flunking out of college despite the fact we paid your way, daddy'll get you a job as a VP in his company. Those are the kinds of people I have no respect for, and that really irritate me. Its at least partially jealousy, I'm honest about it. I'd love to be able to total my car and not end up being a pedestrian for awhile.

In all honesty, I will help my kids out when I have them and when they grow up, but only to a point. If it wasnt' for my parents paying for some of my books and tuition for a semester, I wouldn't have made it through college at all. I've been on my own to buy whatever frivulous crap I want, but when I get in a bind for something thats really important my parents have always been there to help me out.
    exactly

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

:cool: This is a very good topic i must say and makes us all reconsider the background and childhood we all lived through. The fact of the matter is that life is unfair and people will always be brought up in a different fashion.

I believe that we should all be brought up with good morals, judgement, and learn responsibility and to live life to the fullest and understand the meaning of a hard day's work. People today have a much nicer life than those in the previous generation and so on.

If parents want to buy their children nice cars, houses and what not, so be it. Yes I may be jelous, but i mean usually the parents will be able to afford such luxuries for their children and well, props to them .

I can only speak from personal experience. My parents are both hard working and yes we did use to own our own business, and perhaps even tho we worked long hours together, I do miss those times that we were one family working together. Since we sold the resturaunt, My parents have both gone back to working elsewhere. I guess my best relations would have to be with siblings. Most the time I rarely see my parents as they work in the evenings and whacky hours, where as I go to school on the weekend. Situations like this can really be hard on relations between family members.

I really wish my parents would give me luxuries that some of my peers have. My parents want me to learn the struggles of life they went though. They have always provided a meal on the table, and a roof over the head, and ultimately that's the most important thing. They have the resources to provide me with a lot more yet they want to see me make it on my own. They're constantly working, and it really sucks never seeing them around.

My mom doesn't let me drive her car unless i have a GPA of 3.75 or greater, so it sux for me ... good thing i'm on good terms with my sister there's countless times that i;ve had to walk 30 mins home from the closest bus stop:madred:
    Calgary Transit :madred:

Ever since my first part time job in high school, my parents cut me off... no allowance, no clothes, no help with tuition, and definately no car or access to one . I guess in a way this really has made me realize how much i've accomplished :p

One day in the future, when i'm done school and working I probably wont take the ame route my parents did. I'd like to spend time with my kids and like to see them as they grow and not drop them off to the grandparnets to look after. I'd like to provide them with things i've never had. I'd teach them to respect the way the world works and not to take things for granted. :woot:
    omgwtfbbq

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast