Quantcast
Paying by Debit question? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paying by Debit question?

Question Pying by Debit question?

Ok so with people swiping shit off your debit card these days they say that you should swipe your own card whenever poss. Most of the new debit machine have a card reader in the top of the pin pad yet they still swipe the card behind the till.

WTF?? Why won't they let us swipe our own cards??

I have asked and all I get is some punk 16 year old kid saying "uhhhh I don't know?"

Anyone else have any thoughts on this one??

My Ride
    3 of Germany's finest

"Learn to fuckkin type"

I swipe my own..Or, To make sure they arent trying to pull any shit, I check the the back and make sure its my bank card (signature) in case they sam my pin and try to hand me a different card.

Some times the front ones dont work worth shit ... I mean if someone is going to steal your money , its pretty easy to catch them , and get your money back that was stolen , it happened to a few friends of mine ( Wendys in westhills and Super Store at Westhills)
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    Bicycle

Don't use debit, use credit.

Doesn't matter where they swipe, by you or by them, any system however legit they look, can be rigged to get your PIN. Loggers are a dime a dozen.

This has been discussed many time, using debit card is worse than using cash. But of course, if your account has less than $500 in it anyway, loss is minimal.

So don't get annoyed, use credit card to create a fraud buffer for yourself.

Paranoid much?

Why not just pay attention to your transactions and when you see money that has been stolen contact the bank. Until then calm down, and save yourself from getting ulcers. Bullying some 16 year old min wage worker isnt going to make you feel any better.

Originally posted by sputnik
    Paranoid much?

Why not just pay attention to your transactions and when you see money that has been stolen contact the bank. Until then calm down, and save yourself from getting ulcers. Bullying some 16 year old min wage worker isnt going to make you feel any better.
    Who said anything about bullying?? All I asked was why they don't use them? With regards to using credit, I am not a big fan of using my credit card for a quick meal or a slurpee. I do use my cc for all my large purchases but sometimes I don't have my cc with me so I have to use debit.

My Ride
    This and that.

I never really cared, where ever I got I just hand them my debit card myself. And most of the times they give it back saying you swipe on the thing.

Originally posted by 69cougar

Who said anything about bullying?? All I asked was why they don't use them? With regards to using credit, I am not a big fan of using my credit card for a quick meal or a slurpee. I do use my cc for all my large purchases but sometimes I don't have my cc with me so I have to use debit.
    Go to an ATM and get cash then. Why does this even need to be a big concern/issue?

I simply do not like cash. I always wash it or lose it or something happens to it. What I would prefer is that the smart card idea takes off where you can just charge it up with what you want/need and carry it around. Plus I am sure it is justa matter of time before cash will be refused. Most places will not take $100's lots are now refusing $50's How long till $20's get thrown in the mix. I think my original point is being lost here. WTF is the poin of spending the capital on machines with the swiper in the pin pad if you don't use it??

Originally posted by 69cougar
    I simply do not like cash. I always wash it or lose it or something happens to it. What I would prefer is that the smart card idea takes off where you can just charge it up with what you want/need and carry it around. Plus I am sure it is justa matter of time before cash will be refused. Most places will not take $100's lots are now refusing $50's How long till $20's get thrown in the mix. I think my original point is being lost here. WTF is the poin of spending the capital on machines with the swiper in the pin pad if you don't use it??
    And what happens when you lose your smart card? The smart card option is horribly insecure and prone to theft or damage. What happens if you wash it or it gets damaged? I recently got married and my wife and I got a stack of gift cards from the Bay and Home Depot and I am constantly paranoid that I will lose them. I would rather have the cash in the bank and use my debit card to access it.

I have never had any problems with 50s or 100s as long as they were the new ones with the hologram stripe and the new 10s and 20s have the stripe so I think your worry doesnt have much ground to stand on.

My Ride
    Bicycle

You think people printing money is a problem, wait til they start replicating smart card wallets.

Smart card only make sense of low denomination applications such as transit fare or parking meters.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-05-2005 at 03:08 PM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Just do what i do, Be poor, most of the time i dont have $100 to my name, combined through my credit card, debit card and cash... cant get scammed if you have nothing to be scammed out of.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Originally posted by Thaco
    Just do what i do, Be poor, most of the time i dont have $100 to my name, combined through my credit card, debit card and cash... cant get scammed if you have nothing to be scammed out of.
    Damn now why didnt I think of that!

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by old&slow

Damn now why didnt I think of that!
    I can help you with it, just give me all of your money, and then you will be poor

Originally posted by Xtrema
    You think people printing money is a problem, wait til they start replicating smart card wallets.

Smart card only make sense of low denomination applications such as transit fare or parking meters.
    Thats all I want anyway like 20 bux for those stupid small purchases.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Kinda off topic, but i'm gonna add...watch out using ur debit at the esso on macleod and southland i believe, my boss only uses his debit at 3 locations, and two of them is where he works, and his bank has made him switch cards and get a new pin because of a suspected location, which he knows is that esso. just a heads up

When I worked retail, and I watch the guys up front now, the scanners on those things suck, you can get a much quicker, better swipe off the ones that are moutned on the desk, then you can holding it in your hand trying to get a fast swipe or solid swipe off of one that is the size of the card itself.

And I agree with Thaco, if your worried about it all, spend it all so you have none to worry about .

I got 2 accounts under one card, doesn't solve much but I can stash my money away in one so I dont spend it, could also keep the thevies away so they cant figure out what account it is in. Or get like CIBC for spending and TD for saving, put ur TD card in your dresser at home and keep $150 in your CIBC unless ur going to make a big purchase or something.

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

I always made fun of my dad for not using his debit at all...hell, even convinced him to do so at the westhills wendys once....I guess i'm lucky as hell that nothing happened, orelse i'd be gettin my ass BEAT right now lmao :P

Originally posted by ryder_23
    Kinda off topic, but i'm gonna add...watch out using ur debit at the esso on macleod and southland i believe, my boss only uses his debit at 3 locations, and two of them is where he works, and his bank has made him switch cards and get a new pin because of a suspected location, which he knows is that esso. just a heads up
    Similar thing happened to my dad half a year ago. His visa was disabled and royal bank contacted him and said that one of the gas stations that he went to was do something funny w/ ppl's credit cards. In the end, my dad just ended up getting a new card. No money lost.

Originally posted by wildrice

Similar thing happened to my dad half a year ago. His visa was disabled and royal bank contacted him and said that one of the gas stations that he went to was do something funny w/ ppl's credit cards. In the end, my dad just ended up getting a new card. No money lost.
    ugh ive had to call up visa for stuff liek that too.

i also used to play a lot of MMORPG's (the games that you pay monthly to play) and at one time i had 4 diff games gion on at once, yea visa put a hold on my card and made me call them to make sure it was me doing all these "online transactions"

makes sense, but a pain in the fucking ass when your filling up your tank of gas, go inside only to see "transaction declined, contact visa"
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast