Quantcast
Computer Engineering Vs. Computer Science? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer Engineering Vs. Computer Science?

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Default Computer Engineering Vs. Computer Science?

Hey,

I have to make a pretty big decision...if I decide I want to take computer engineering I have to transfer in to chemistry once school starts, if not i'll be taking computer science. So..this brings me to my question: What are the main differences between computer engineering and science? Which one would be leading you on the path to a little more money, and which one would help set you up to start your own business?

Thanks for the help, sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.

-Gurpy

My Ride
    All white 2003 Nikes

Broad 'n' simple

computer science, is about algorithims, computability and theory.

From what i understand computer eng. is about the creation and design of the hard ware.
    Black men walkin' wit' white girls on they arms
    I be mad at 'em, as if I know they moms
    told t' go beyond tha surface a person's a person
    when we, lessen our women, our condition seem t' worsen
    Common - Real People

George Bush does not care about black people - Kanye West

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Default Re: Computer Engineering Vs. Computer Science?

Originally posted by Gurpy
    What are the main differences between computer engineering and science?
    about $20000 starting salary.

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Thanks WhiteNikes, I guess I wouldn't mind taking either so I guess it'll come down to the money for me.

gpomp, so which one would end up paying more? engineering?

-Gurpy

My Ride
    335i

Engineering, obviously.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    00 Neon

engineering will pay more for sure!

if you are unsure about salary check out:
    www.alis.ca

and if you are undecided about your career path talk to the Undergraduate Programs Office... you might not be able to 'switch' faculties as easily as you think once you are in, everything is based on demand and tranfer GPA's it can be tricky...

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Cool, looks like i'll be workin my ass off for the next 2 years and transferring in to chem once school starts lol

Thanks everyone!

My Ride
    08 GSR

Well I'll compare Computer Science versus Computer Engineering at the U of C.

Computer Science is all programming. You basically stare at code for about 80 percent of your classes that you take during your computer science program. And the stuff that you program are all in high level languages, such as Java, or C++. Also you guys also take a number of SENG (software engineering) where you get to work in big ass teams, so you get some exporsure to what it is like to design, and develop a peice of software in a big group.

Computer Engineering on the other hand, does deal with programming but not so much. I would have to they do about 50 percent programming, and the other 50 percent deals with doing hardware related stuff (for like digital circuits, analog circuits). You do work with high level languages such as C++, and Java, but you also work with lower level languages such as assembly language for the MIPS processor, and the Motorola 68K. You only take one class that deals with some basic principles of software engineering, so you don't really get much exposure in working in large groups for big programming assignments. As far as the hardware aspect goes, you get to play around with digital integrated circuits, wire them up and do different things with them. Also you get to play around with FPGA's (Field Programmable Gate Arrays) to do different things.

I'm currently going into my last year of computer engineering right now, and I have no complaints (other than taking those god damn computer science classes). It's what I expected computer engineering to be. But here's my opinion on the whole thing, even if you want to pursue a career that deals mainly with programming and software development, I highly recommend you take software engineering instead of computer science. It is basically the same thing as computer science, but when you graduate, you do hold the title of being an "engineer", and you get the iron ring. A lot of companies seem to recognize software engineers more than computer scientists. But if you like the hardware aspect of computers, I suggest you take computer engineering instead. And I do believe that engineers to get paid more computer science. That's my 2 cents hope it helps.
    Last edited by V6-BoI; 08-05-2005 at 01:59 AM.

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Thanks for the great post V6-BoI. I'll be looking in to software engineering as well, because I wouldn't mind working more on the hardware side...but I think I might do better in a programming course.

Also, thanks for that website xxjessmicaxx, it's really helpful.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

another area anyone hardly knows about is Managment Information Systems at the Haskayne School of Business at the U of C. If you plan on starting your own business managment skills would really help you out. I did the computer science for a year before I realized it just wasn't for me and transfrered into Information Systems and never been happier since. In information systems you work more with databases such as Oracle, SQL Server and all that and you get to learn SQL. I guess Information Systems are more on the business side to help businessed perform where as the other ones are for creating stuff. I am starting my 4th year in MIS in a month and can't wait. Just finished database systems and e-commerce and its pretty neat how you design websites that interact with databases and all that stuff, great program i wish i knew about it before i started university so i didn't have to get a damn 3.6 to transfer. I highly recomend it as an alternative to the 2 you mentioned if that is what your into, and you graduate with a BComm, bachelor of commerce which is a great degree to have around calgary as we are one of the big business centres in canada

My Ride
    VW GTi

I think the salary difference is not as big as you would think. The MINIMUM salary, certainly. The minimum salary for a Comp Sci graduate is much lower than for engineering! No argument, people pay computer science n00bs less. There is a wider salary range partly because there are/were a lot of computer science graduates and because its easier to slide through computer science if you suck.

I actually got decent grades and a good job, and would say I make more than the average engineering starting salary, and have potential to make as much throughout my career. This can be true of anyone.

I would pick based on what you want to do, if you pick based on salary when you're 18 when you're 40 you're gonna be miserable because you've been doing something you don't like for 22 years.

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Has anybody taken software engineering at the uofc? If so, how was it? I wouldn't mind what job I get as long as it has something to do with technology....and i'm sure i'd do much better programming than actually working with creating the hardware.

Kor, if you don't mind me asking..what do you currently do?

Thanks

-Gurpy

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by Gurpy
    Has anybody taken software engineering at the uofc? If so, how was it? I wouldn't mind what job I get as long as it has something to do with technology....and i'm sure i'd do much better programming than actually working with creating the hardware.

Kor, if you don't mind me asking..what do you currently do?

Thanks

-Gurpy
    aren't they nuking software engeneering cuz its almost the same as comp sci? last I heard they were or already did

My Ride
    08 GSR

Originally posted by eblend

aren't they nuking software engeneering cuz its almost the same as comp sci? last I heard they were or already did
    Yeah come to think of it I also heard that story as well. But I was never told that it actually happened. I just heard that they were gonna do it

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

Management Info systems from a technical POV doesnt compare to the other 2 mentioned. but like eblend said, to make up for it, u go thru the whole business thing and get a bcomm in the end.
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

My Ride
    rsx-s

MIS would have been good, in hindsight i'm going through my last year of computer science and it's been hell, if you don't like to program, you're going to hate it, but like you said you'd do better programming. more importantly though, either way, you'll have a degree to fall back on later on in your life.

Is programming as involved in computer engineering & electrical engineering as it is in computer science or software engineering?

I wanted to do something computer based but really, I dont like programming. So the least possible programming the better.

My Ride
    FA20

hows the job market these days for software and comp. engg? I keep hearing its significantly less than the other engineering titles and sometimes difficult to find a good job after finishing school.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Originally posted by rinny
    Is programming as involved in computer engineering & electrical engineering as it is in computer science or software engineering?

I wanted to do something computer based but really, I dont like programming. So the least possible programming the better.
    Computer engineering still has programing, but not nearly as much as software engineering or computer science.
    Let's see, after third year computer engineering, I took the following courses that required programming.
    ENGG 233
    ENCM 363
    ENCM 369
    CPSC 331
    CPSC 457
    CPSC 441
    ENCM 415
    ENCM 493
    So eight courses in 3 years that requires programming, not too bad I guess (and note, these classes are manditory). But I would actually suggest Electrical engineering for you, cuz in 4'th year you can take electives that deals with computer hardware. You still gotta do programming in electical, but not as much as computer. I think electrical engineering has 5 manditory programming classes.

Originally posted by heinz256
    hows the job market these days for software and comp. engg? I keep hearing its significantly less than the other engineering titles and sometimes difficult to find a good job after finishing school.
    I'm having a hell of a time finding placement for internship right now, a lot of freaking competition.
    And as far as other engineering titles go, oil and gas/chemical are where the money is at right now.

My Ride
    J30t G20t G35x

Originally posted by V6-BoI

I'm having a hell of a time finding placement for internship right now, a lot of freaking competition.
    And as far as other engineering titles go, oil and gas/chemical are where the money is at right now.
    Always has been and will be -- at least in my lifetime

oil/gas/chem engineering grads have tons of job options here in ALTA, and higher average starting wages

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast