Quantcast
Laws on Mufflers and Ride Height - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Laws on Mufflers and Ride Height

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Default Laws on Mufflers and Ride Height

Mufflers 46
    (1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise and without the emission of any flame or sparks.
    (2) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine when the muffler with which the vehicle is equipped is cut out or disconnected from the engine.
    (3) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler from which has been removed a baffle-plate or other part.
    (4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.
    (5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.
    (6) This section does not apply to a school bus having a capacity of 24 or more passengers.
    RSA 1980 cH-7 s46

Bumpers 62
    (1) A passenger car shall be equipped with a front and rear bumper.
    (2) No person shall install or alter a bumper on a passenger car unless the design of the bumper is equivalent to, and the bumper is mounted in substantially the same manner as, the bumper installed by the manufacturer of the passenger car.
    RSA 1980 cH-7 s62

Height of bumpers 63
    (1) No person shall alter a passenger car so that the main structural component of a bumper is more than 50 centimetres or less than 40 centimetres above ground level when the passenger car is unloaded.
    (2) A bumper that has at least 6.25 centimetres of projected vertical facing within the height restriction referred to in subsection (1) when viewed in elevation is deemed to comply with that subsection.
    (3) For the purpose of subsections (1) and (2), components that are commonly known as bumperettes or overriders are not part of the main structural component of a bumper or of the projected vertical facing.
    (4) Subsection (1) does not apply to passenger cars manufactured before April 1, 1976 but no person shall alter such a car so that the bumper is more than 10 centimetres higher or lower than it was at the time the car was manufactured.
    RSA 1980 cH-7 s63

Offence 64
    A person who, on or after May 1, 1981, operates on a highway a passenger car that (a) is not equipped with bumpers as required by section 62(1), or (b) is equipped with a bumper that does not comply with the requirements of section 62(2) or 63 is guilty of an offence.
    RSA 1980 cH-7 s64

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Already common knowledge for most, but its good to have a quick reference for people who doubt or disagree, or are unsure. Good call!
    Travel

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Laws on Mufflers and Ride Height

Originally posted by legendboy
    (5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.
    FUCK! No Whistle Tips!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Default Re: Re: Laws on Mufflers and Ride Height

Originally posted by rage2

FUCK! No Whistle Tips!
    hahaha

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

stupid question, but does this apply to lambos, and other exoticts that dont have a chance of meeting those requirements?

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

if its factory, then it doesn't matter...
    Travel

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Man I think I failed everything

Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

Default Re: Laws on Mufflers and Ride Height

Mufflers 46
    (4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.

hmm did it say anything relating to turbo-back exhaust systems, i might've missed it somewhere.

4. What does it mean "the exhuast outlet of which has been opened or widened." like the tail pipe?
    5. I think lots of us break this rule.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Re: Laws on Mufflers and Ride Height

Originally posted by l/l/rX
    4. What does it mean "the exhuast outlet of which has been opened or widened." like the tail pipe?
    Yep, there are a few here that's gotten that ticket with just a ricer exhaust tip.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Originally posted by shadowz
    Man I think I failed everything
    I think 90% of the members here would fail

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I phoned and talked to a sargent in the traffic division. Any aftermarket modification to exhaust becides an oem replacement is subject to charges under these laws. He also told me that it is up to the officers discresion as to what punishment is given. The offices has the right to tow any car for any reason if it is his discresion. The sargent also told me that they are instructed not to stop people for these types of offences unless the person is attracting attention to themselves. Driving like a dumbass is what he said, lol. If your exhaust is too loud they will pull you over...etc..

I see this as true but there are exceptions to every rule. There are some fucker cops out there. But I've never been pulled over once in my integra and I have a pretty loud exhaust...lowered...etc.... I've only been pulled over for speeding. When I did get pulled over I had my turbo in, intercooler...etc....SAFC on my dash, interior stripped, slamed...etc.. and the cop never said a thing.
    Last edited by legendboy; 01-30-2003 at 04:44 PM.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

I phoned and talked to a sargent in the traffic division. Any aftermarket modification to exhaust becides an oem replacement is subject to charges under these laws. He also told me that it is up to the officers discresion as to what punishment is given. The offices has the right to tow any car for any reason if it is his discresion. The sargent also told me that they are instructed not to stop people for these types of offences unless the person is attracting attention to themselves. Driving like a dumbass is what he said, lol. If your exhaust is too loud they will pull you over...etc..

I see this as true but there are exceptions to every rule. There are some fucker cops out there. But I've never been pulled over once in my integra and I have a pretty loud exhaust...lowered...etc.... I've only been pulled over for speeding. When I did get pulled over I had my turbo in, intercooler...etc....SAFC on my dash, interior stripped, slamed...etc.. and the cop never said a thing.
    well, thats some really good info to have!

yea some cops can be real asses, i talked to this guy when i was down in the states, he said he got pulled over for speeding, then on top of that he got tickets for the altezzas (i guess they werent SAE/DOT approved), his car was too low, his exhaust was too loud, and something else...sooo after he was all pissed off, after recieving soo many tickets, he started too lip off the cop, and so he got pulled out of the car (through his window) and thrown into the cruiser (wow, what a night for him). It was funny because his buddie was standing there laughing and said "o that was you!?!"

Ya I fail most of those. I have found that if I treat the officer with respect and am nice when he comes to the window I ussually get a break. If I am speeding and get caught then hey I got caught it's the way it goes. If i am driving like an ass and get pulled over then hey I was driving like an ass. If an officer was to pull me over for no other reason than the size of my exhaust then I might be a little upset, but I would still be nice and see if I can talk with him about it. Having a little tact when dealing with the law can get you along way.

My Ride
    NC1

The officers do not enforce these laws as tough as other cities so we are very lucky. However, its just the Hondas that are getting the attention anyway! Us Euro owners will be fine! haha j/k
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Originally posted by max_boost
    The officers do not enforce these laws as tough as other cities so we are very lucky. However, its just the Hondas that are getting the attention anyway! Us Euro owners will be fine! haha j/k
    I heard Vancouver cops/surrounding RCMP detachments are coming down on the modified cars now..... Basically if your car is lowered or has aftermarket exhaust, they'll tow your car then you have to get the stock stuff installed at a a DEALER ONLY

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by cocoabrova

I heard Vancouver cops/surrounding RCMP detachments are coming down on the modified cars now..... Basically if your car is lowered or has aftermarket exhaust, they'll tow your car then you have to get the stock stuff installed at a a DEALER ONLY
    In your case would they force you to take off the stickers and put the Type-R spoiler back on? j/k man! haha
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Originally posted by max_boost

In your case would they force you to take off the stickers and put the Type-R spoiler back on? j/k man! haha
    And in your case, they'd tell you to...well....trade for a 330

My Ride
    Corolla

And in your case, they'd tell you to...well....trade for a 330
    Screw that!! Max is just jealous of all the attention we Honda driver get!!! He should trade it in for a S2K!!!!! hehehhe

most times i get pulled over i just let the officer do all the talking... exhaust this.... noise that.... and hope he is nice enough not to give me a ticket. it works most of the time. once you get cocky... the officer will make your life a living hell...

Mufflers 46
    (1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise and without the emission of any flame or sparks.
    i had a cop read this to me today morning . i guess my exhaust is a little loud...

they pulled me over right at the end of Granville before the arthur laing . . . at 3 in the afternoon, held up traffic good, did a complete check, almost dented my hood . . . I told them I was there for a car show and I showed them my license from AB and they let me go without anything, although he did tell me to park my car until the car show and leave Vancouver immediately following the show, times are tough out in teh 604 for import fans haha . . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast