Quantcast
Healthy third quarter seen for Honda, Toyota on strong U.S. sales - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Healthy third quarter seen for Honda, Toyota on strong U.S. sales

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Healthy third quarter seen for Honda, Toyota on strong U.S. sales

January 30, 2003

BY CHANG-RAN
    REUTERS

TOKYO - Japanese car makers Honda Motor Co and Toyota Motor Corp look set to report healthy third-quarter earnings in the coming week as brisk sales in the United States more than made up for soft demand at home.

A fast-growing Asian car market is also expected to have driven profits in the October-December quarter, analysts said.

The auto industry has been a rare bright spot in the domestic economy due to its heavy dependence on North America, where Japan's top makers have made big strides at the expense of local competitors.

An average of five analysts' forecasts put Honda's third-quarter operating profit at 156 billion yen ($1.3 billion), up 0.8 percent from the year-earlier period when it grew 61 percent. Results are due at 3 p.m. (0600 GMT) on Friday.

But net profit was expected to jump an average 26 percent to 104 billion yen, with most analysts citing a sharp drop in costs to hedge against currency risks.

Honda, which reports results under U.S. accounting standards, had quadrupled its non-operating loss to 36 billion yen a year earlier due to the ballooning of such spending with the introduction of a new accounting rule for derivative tools.

"Following an interim results announcement that caused widespread market pessimism, a good set of third-quarter results should revive investor belief in (Honda's) earnings growth," UBS Warburg analyst Takaki Nakanishi wrote in a recent report.

Honda's shares sank after the company in October slashed its full-year operating profit forecast to 620 billion yen from 720 billion and net profit forecast to 410 billion yen from 460 billion. Rivals Toyota and Nissan Motor Co had lifted their targets.

Many analysts said Honda's projections were probably too cautious.

They said Honda should continue to speed ahead in the U.S., its most profitable market, powered by the all-new Accord -- a perennial strong seller -- as well as the popular Pilot sport utility vehicle and Element light truck, launched last month.

That, as well as growth in China and another profitable quarter in Europe, should more than offset stagnant demand at home, they said.

Honda's shares are now at 4,060 yen, having shed almost 850 yen since half-year earnings were announced in October.

PEAK FOR TOYOTA?

Analysts also expect a robust third quarter for Toyota, whose results are due on February 5, reflecting the company's bullish guidance for the full year.

Many analysts are not calculating numerical forecasts for the term because there are no year-on-year comparisons.

Japan's top automaker does not provide group forecasts, but executives have said for the full year, it would aim to surpass last year's record operating profit of 1.12 trillion yen. It expects 590 billion yen in parent-only net profit, up 17 percent.

"This fiscal year, their earnings will be good," Mitsubishi Securities analyst Shigeharu Kimishima said.

"But looking ahead, I expect the first half of next fiscal year to be difficult for Toyota."

Kimishima said that in the April-September period of last year, Toyota sold a lot of cars in the U.S. wholesale because it had to replenish depleted stock -- a result of conservative sales estimates as the country prepared for war.

Now, with inventory levels higher and car demand expected to be stagnant in the world's biggest car market, Toyota's sales won't grow as much, he said.

"Toyota's recent retail sales weren't very good in the United States. And Japan will remain a tough market for everyone since competition is fiercer here than it is in the U.S.," Kimishima said.

Toyota's shares have softened almost 130 yen since just after its last earnings announcement in late October.

Both Honda's and Toyota's shares have come under pressure in recent weeks partly in response to selling of crossheld shares by Japan's banks ahead of the fiscal-year end.
    take THAT ford! haha

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Nice

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    Honda

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

blah blah blah
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
    blah blah blah
    werd, I got distracted after the first 3 words.

Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Toyota needs to pick it up a little bit, they'vementioned that they aren't going to engage in the horsepower battle between Nissan, Mazda and Honda which to me seems like a mistake.. Their retail value per dollar is decreasing while other Japanese auto manufacturers is increasing. They're headed in the right direction with the new fourrunner but the Camry has already been dated by the new Accord, the Altima and the Mazda 6. They need to either lower the price of the Celicaor begin selling the Levin here in North America because they are missign a huge part of the market by not having an affordable sport compact car. The Supra is supposed to be released in 2004 and they better do a good job on that car because it's success or lack there of could make or break Toyotas image.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Toyota needs to pick it up a little bit, they'vementioned that they aren't going to engage in the horsepower battle between Nissan, Mazda and Honda which to me seems like a mistake.. Their retail value per dollar is decreasing while other Japanese auto manufacturers is increasing. They're headed in the right direction with the new fourrunner but the Camry has already been dated by the new Accord, the Altima and the Mazda 6. They need to either lower the price of the Celicaor begin selling the Levin here in North America because they are missign a huge part of the market by not having an affordable sport compact car. The Supra is supposed to be released in 2004 and they better do a good job on that car because it's success or lack there of could make or break Toyotas image.
    thats exactly right imo. toyota is still currently a HUGE company and they are in no danger of going under, but i think that if they want to do well in the north american market, they need to pick it up. the way i see it, they are headed the way of nissan right now; their cars are be becoming boring, sedated, and generally losing appeal to the younger demographic. the camry has lost the hp war, and even the new engine slated for the camry wont be in for another year and isnt even all that impressive. if even honda has the balls to put out a 240hp 6 speed accord, then that means that there is some serious competition in this area. if toyota doesnt smarten up with the camry, theyll have nothing to do but to once again use fleet sales to keep up with the accord. toyotas scion project is a step in the right direction, but it already looks like a total bust. apparently the ppl leading scion are the same people that designed the celica, the echo, and the matrix. all of these cars are alright cars, but they arent exactly showstoppers and i dont think they will pull toyota out of its spiral into boredom.