Quantcast
setting up home network help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: setting up home network help

My Ride
    94 Celica GT-FOUR,

Default setting up home network help

OK so I have my cable internet coming into my modem, then router, then two computers connected to the internet (wired) from the router.

Can I connect these two computers together in a network so I can share files back and forth with this configuration? If so how? if not, how can I set it up for this to work?

So far I have tried this with the setup:

I tried the network setup wizard and they are part of the same workgroup, From this computer (my main one) I can go into "my network places" and it shows my shared folder. When I click on "view workgroup computers", it shows the two computers on my network with the proper names and all. When I try to select one, I get the following error:
    Xxx (computer name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.
    The other computer, shows and says the exact same thing

I hope this makes sense. BTW I have successfully set up the internet on both machines so I know that aspect is working, and they obviously recognize eachother as they show up in the folder with the proper names. I just can't get them to connect together.

Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by schmooot; 08-19-2005 at 12:15 AM.

My Ride
    JDM DSM VR4

Networking always confuses me, but the fact that they see each other is a good sign. I think all you need to do from here is to set up one or more folders as shared. Go into the properties for a folder that you want shared, and check the "Share this folder on the network" box. I'm pretty sure that should do it for you. Also, I'm assuming this is Windows XP on both computers?

My Ride
    94 Celica GT-FOUR,

windows xp on both. I do have shared folders set up, it won't let me access the computer itself from the network connections window, although it does list it as being there

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Check network connections, properties of lan connection. You should have client for windows, tcp/ip and file and print sharing. With xp sp2 you'll need to set the firewall to allow sharing.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    94 Celica GT-FOUR,

haha I'm such a noob. My software firewall was blocking it. I just set a custom control allowing the ip of the other computer and it let me on. Thanks for the help guys

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Yep, the windows firewall can be a real pain for home networking newbie's. Honestly, if you have a router already, my advice is to disable the windows firewall. But a lot of people like having it on, so it's up to you.

If your router dynamically assigns IP addresses, after a power failure, or a firmware upgrade or something similar, it may assign different addresses to your computers, and you might have to re-configure the firewall. Just a side note
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    94 Celica GT-FOUR,

no the network setup wizard configures the windows firewall to allow it, I don't use that crap anyways. I have sygate firewall which I like very much as well as my router, you'd be surprised how many resources windows programs leech by connecting to teh internet, I just block em all.