Quantcast
Shaw IP phone - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Shaw IP phone

My Ride
    junk

Default Shaw IP phone

Anybody have Shaw IP ?
    If you just get the phone do you get basic cable free like when you order High Speed without cable ?

My Ride
    1989 Audi 200

Yes, you theoretically get basic cable for free, because they unterminate your plug at the local station. I have the Shaw IP phone, their Extreme-I internet and one of their Digital Packages for TV - I'm really happy with shaw

- Rasmus

My Ride
    Sentra

Shaw phone is great, I have shaw internet (via 3web) and their digital tv also, I have almost NO problems ever with any of them.
    very reliable.

I also have shaw as my phone provider ... WAY better then Telass IMO

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Sorrik
    I also have shaw as my phone provider ... WAY better then Telass IMO
    You've had problems with telus phone service?

I've never ever had my phone lines go down. Internet, yes, but phone? Never. Even during power outages they work.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

you dont get basic cable for free with shaw unless you go with a SOHO (small office home office) Internet connection.

My Ride
    junk

Originally posted by SikAssR1
    you dont get basic cable for free with shaw unless you go with a SOHO (small office home office) Internet connection.
    Thats too bad.
    I have a sat dish and it would be nice to get local stations once and a while.

My Ride
    BMW E70

We've been on Shaw phone for just over a month now I think. Service has gone down twice so far, but never for very long. Overall, still happier with Shaw over Telus...

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

I have been with PRIMUS the much cheaper alternative to SHAW IP Phone ..

I plug in w/ my broadband high speed internet service from shaw (cablemodem) through my router and away I go.

I pay $16/month fo ra hpone line with call waiting, call id, voice mail, call forward, set it to busy, block lines etc. 5 cents /minute long distance anywhere in north america at any time .

service has always been flawless. i recommend it.

with unlimited long distance its 10 dollars more.. i bought my VOIP modem so I get 5 dollar/month discount otherwise i'd be paying 20.
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

My Ride
    Denali

Originally posted by MarkFJ40

Thats too bad.
    I have a sat dish and it would be nice to get local stations once and a while.
    From the sounds of it, switching to a canadian satellite provider might solve that problem

Originally posted by yohan4ws

I plug in w/ my broadband high speed internet service from shaw (cablemodem) through my router and away I go.

I pay $16/month fo ra hpone line with call waiting, call id, voice mail, call forward, set it to busy, block lines etc. 5 cents /minute long distance anywhere in north america at any time .

with unlimited long distance its 10 dollars more.. i bought my VOIP modem so I get 5 dollar/month discount otherwise i'd be paying 20.
    Can they monitor a home alarm system with Primus? ie ADT, AlarmForce, etc...

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

I don't see why not, but if your power / internet goes out then you're kinda hooped.

I rigged it so all my phone jacks in my house are live with primus .. telus feed from outside doesnt go into my house anymore..

www.primus.ca

i like promoting it against shaw because its less than half the price .. and its NOT shaw.
    DannyO

My Ride
    MB C63

yah i think voip is better...its half the price and you get all the features you want for like a dollar each...with shaw i believe its like 5 dollars a feature

My Ride
    BMW E70

Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

I don't think we have had any problems with ADT not being able to monitor the home properly

Originally posted by yohan4ws

Unfortunately with Primus you are dependant on the quality of your internet connection and your phone has to be plugged directly into the "phone gateway" box that Primus supplies.

Originally posted by djayz
    yah i think voip is better...its half the price and you get all the features you want for like a dollar each...with shaw i believe its like 5 dollars a feature
    Shaw is $55/month flat rate for everything. Unlimited long distance in North America, voicemail and all of the calling features available.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...gitalPhone.htm

My Ride
    Sentra

VOIP is great, but for reliability its not, its only as reliable as your internet.

shaw phone works in a power outage so I have been told because of battery backups they have. its on a separate network so if an internet router goes down, your phone will still be working.

so really you are paying a bit more than voip over broadband from companies like primus and vonage, but I'll pay a few bucks for reliability.

My Ride
    MB C63

Originally posted by sputnik

Shaw is $55/month flat rate for everything. Unlimited long distance in North America, voicemail and all of the calling features available.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...gitalPhone.htm
    yah my bad was just looking around and noticed that its not shaw that charges the 5 per feature thing

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Originally posted by GoChris
    so really you are paying a bit more than voip over broadband from companies like primus and vonage, but I'll pay a few bucks for reliability.
    I have a cell phone to back me up ... I'd rather save 25/month on my land line considering how often im home.

Thats my 2cents ... but I'm cheap so..
    DannyO

My Ride
    MB C63

^
    well with some of the cell phone planes out there now a lot of people dont even have a home phone.
    cuz for like 45-50 dollars you can get what you need for a phone that way you save 25 dollars from your home phone service anyways. I guess most of the things even out in the end with a few differences in features and price but not by much.