Quantcast
Tylenol is not safe as people believe - good read! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Tylenol is not safe as people believe - good read!

1-Cent is offline If you want to sell shit buy a fucking banner

Default Tylenol is not safe as people believe - good read!

Liver Failure from Acetaminophen Overdose and Toxicity

Some of the nation's top researchers - including the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) - have concluded that acetaminophen toxicity is the leading cause of acute liver failure in the United States. In fact, some estimate that up to 40 percent of liver failure cases are directly linked to acetaminophen, a commonly used drug. A popular remedy for aches, pains, fever, swelling, and symptoms of the common cold and influenza, acetaminophen is found in more than 600 over-the-counter brand-name and generic drugs, such as NyQuil, Aspirin-free Excedrin, Bayer Select Maximum-Strength Headache Relief Formula, St. Joseph Aspirin-Free Fever Reducer for Children, and all varieties of Tylenol.

When used appropriately and in small doses, acetaminophen is considered extremely safe. But problems arise when medications containing acetaminophen are taken by moderate to heavy drinkers, consumed in large doses, or used by people who are not eating enough, whether because of illness (such as the stomach flu) or fasting practices. Taking acetaminophen under such conditions can quickly lead to an extremely dangerous condition called acetaminophen toxicity.

Essentially, acetaminophen toxicity is the poisoning of the liver. It occurs when the body cannot process acetaminophen quickly enough, resulting in dangerous depletion of the level of glutathione in the liver. In many cases, this breakdown leads to liver damage, then liver failure or malfunction, and ultimately, death. Acetaminophen toxicity, which kills about 100 people a year and resulted in 56,000 emergency room visits last year alone, need not develop over a long period of time, either. Just taking the drug in high doses during a weekend of binge drinking or while fasting during a weeklong battle with the flu can cause a lethal acetaminophen overdose. In other cases, taking the maximum recommended dose of acetaminophen for an extended period of time can cause acetaminophen toxicity.

Symptoms of acetaminophen overdose and/or toxicity include nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain, all of which can easily be mistaken as signs of other illnesses. An exclusive minority may also exhibit signs of chronic liver disease, which include gynecomastia, parathyroid enlargement, testicular atrophy, and spider nevi. If you experience any of these problems and have taken Tylenol or any other drug that contains acetaminophen, it is imperative that you contact a medical professional immediately for an evaluation before permanent liver damage or failure occurs.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

i noticed the fact that out of all the people who posted this...it was sum1 with a biohazard avatar! lol anwayz good read

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Ibuprofen > Acetaminophen

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Isn't acetylesalicyclic acid (aspirin) worse than tylenol

1-Cent is offline If you want to sell shit buy a fucking banner

Originally posted by 3G
    Isn't acetylesalicyclic acid (aspirin) worse than tylenol
    Dunno, I only read this study lol
    I would guess not though since aspirin is perscribed for very long periods of time to people at risk of stroke who need something to thin out their blood. Just a guess though, find a study and let us know

My Ride
    1989 Audi 200

Talking

Originally posted by 3G
    Ibuprofen > Acetaminophen
    aceteminophen sucks ass and doesn't work for me anymore (I ate those damn things for breakfast for like 5 years back when I had my bad migraines)

- Rasmus

My Ride
    Civicnation

Anything is toxic to the liver if taken in large amounts - coz thats where most drugs are metabolized (except alcohol and cocaine i believe).

My Ride
    1989 Audi 200

alkyhowl is metabolized in the liver too... thats why people get liver failure from excessive drinking

- Rasmus