Quantcast
Mazda RX7 First Gen. Opinions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mazda RX7 First Gen. Opinions

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Default Mazda RX7 First Gen. Opinions

Continuing the research of performance-rally fit vehicles, let us talk about the Mazda RX7, first generation.

Give your comments on, and comparing these things with other vehicles:

1. Ergonomics, vision, space for driver and passenger.
    2. Overall car behaviour on different surfaces and situations.
    3. Weak poinds, parts that are prone to being damaged easy.
    4. As above, but the unusually strong points.

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

oh my just wait til ecstasyracer gets ahold of this thread.

there great little cars. you can throw them into any corner as hard as you want within reason, there light and if you get a gsl-se youll get the 13b from 86-95. more potential for turbo or a big street port.

hell tell you everything you ever wanted to know when he posts.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

well balanced light chassis, most are old and the engines are either shot or on their way, some guy built one into a rally car on the american cicuits well, amateur class stuff, but it does well in rally conditions i suppose

but on a second note...this is your first car...and to convert a car, especially an old one to a rallyworthy spec is still a pricey task, unless you have about a spare 10k-20k US lying around you wont be building a rally car any time soon

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Not anytime soon, I'm just looking at options. If/when I get such a car, it would be a slow conversion, step by step, not send all the parts to a workshop with a note saying what I want them to do.

My Ride
    335i

I think these are a lot of fun, but i'd get the 86+ (2nd gen) before anything. The 1990 model and above has 1.3L 160HP rotary engine, RWD, and a 9000rpm redline. I was about to buy it until I found that the previous owner rolled back the km's, but what an amazingly fun car. Much funner than a MR2 if you opt for this year. If you are considering a choice between the 1st gen mr2 vs. the 1st gen RX-7, I think i'd get the mr2..
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

The second gen RX7 is more powerful but it's also a lot heavier, unacceptable mad weight - something like 500lbs more.

My Ride
    ZN6, JCE10

In the MR2 post, someone made the claim that the MR2 is fragile. The AW11 actually has quite a stiff and solid chassis, for a car born in the 80's. The consequence is that it's quite heavy for it's size... but definitely solid.

The SA22 on the other hand has a reputation for being less structurally sound. Beware of cracks in the chassis and rust in critical places. The second generation RX7, although heavier... is much more solid.

My Ride
    RX-7/92 toyota pickup

but i'd get the 86+ (2nd gen) before anything. The 1990 model and above has 1.3L 160HP rotary engine, RWD, and a 9000rpm redline.
    The series 5 rx7 acually begins in 1989 and does have 160hp, but an 8000rpm redline, not 9k.

I would highly recommend going with a 1st gen rx7 becuase they are very light wieght and the carbed 12A engine is a little easier to deal with. Since your looking at rally racing you don't really nead gobs of power, so this engine works fine. They can get up to around 200hp with an upgraded carb, header, a bridgeport. And unlike what most people will tell you an N/A rx-7 engine is reliable. You just have to be more meticulous with maintenance and checking fluids etc. If your looking for a little more power to begin with try looking at 84-85 gsl-se's. They have 2nd generation power and wiegh only slightly more than 1st gens with the 12A engine. As for hanlding the 50/50 weight balance gives pretty nuetral handling with snap over steer in some situations. 1st gens are also pretty easy to get used parts for (which you will definetly need if rally racing!) in junkyards.

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Thanks a lot! Could you adress the questions in my first post also? Especially compared with other cars (civic, whatever)

My Ride
    RX-7/92 toyota pickup

Ok to address your original question:
    1. The drivers space is a little tight compared to most cars, but once you get used to it, it feels like a well fitting glove. It feels weird to me now when i drive any other car, like the dash and everything is a mile away.

3. One week piont may be the engine if it has extremely high milage. But that is not to say that it is not reliable. Any car with reasonable milage will last you well.

4. Some strong points are a stiff chassis, 50/50 wieght balance, low sitting engine, limited slip differential(if you find a car with rear wheel disc brakes it has an lsd), high reving engine, flat tourque characteristics in the gsl-se.

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

what did i tell you? hes a rx7 machine man!!!!

My Ride
    86' FC

Originally posted by Mikko
    The second gen RX7 is more powerful but it's also a lot heavier, unacceptable mad weight - something like 500lbs more.
    So, since my FC weights in at around 2480lbs, you're saying that a similarly specced FB would be under 2000lbs?

My Ride
    RX-7/92 toyota pickup

So, since my FC weights in at around 2480lbs, you're saying that a similarly specced FB would be under 2000lbs?
    I guess you could say that my fb is "similarly" specked, becuase of the 13b, and it weighs in around 2400lbs. However earlier 12A fb's can get down to around 2200lbs pretty easily. Different specs but still lighter. You must have a base model with weight reductions right? Thats very light for an fc.