Quantcast
digital cable or satalite - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: digital cable or satalite

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Default digital cable or satalite

i wanna know what to get bell or shaw...whats better and why..ohh also costs...i want one with alot of channels.

Thanks

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    KTM

ExpressVu

Completley digital picture
    Can bundle with mobility
    Time shifting
    Ability to add channels easier, with out moving up tiers
    Picture in guide on all rec.
    PVR HD Dual Tuner

Theres a few.....

Craig

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

i just bought a higher end plasma Tv ...would that be best for it?

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    KTM

Is it HD? I would suggest Express Vu because all channels are digital. Shaw has some that are and some that arent.

What kinda features are you looking for in your receiver? Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
    Last edited by craigcd; 08-25-2005 at 01:37 AM.

Remember that satellite can go down due to something as simple as weather.

Whereas a digital cable outage is very rare.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by TrevorK

I dont rememeber a time when Express has gone down on us..

But when we had Direct and that other garbage it went down a couple times becuase of rain...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

I have had ExpressVu for 2 years now and it has gone down once in that entire time... and only for 10 minutes.

I suggest Express Vu... I switched from it to Shaw DCT but after a week, I returned my subscription to Bell. Express has better picture quality.

I've had it affected by wheather but that was for a really extremely bad wheather... in 3 yrs maybe once or twice.

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by TrevorK

It depends on who installs it. Professional installs usually take into account a bit of weather protection.

I rarely see any problems.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Freezing rain hit the dish once and have to scrap it off to get signal.

My Ride
    Denali

Alright... I know I might get flamed for this really bad, but have you considered Star Choice... hd channels are included for no extra charge, 100% digital picture, no 2 year contract to sign...
    versitile recievers that are actually more affordable then bells, and a brand new dvr is now available...and almost every channel between the 2 companies is the exact same...

the only thing they have more of is ethnic channels

I have dish network, hasnt gone down in over a year.
    1990 Poonstang
    1990 Sexplorer
    1967 Chevelle Panty Dropper
    2003 GMC SLE 1500HD Donkey Hauler
    2013 Ram Longhorn w/ a 6" lift and 35s
    2017 Nissan Maxima

I am currently with shaw but only because I have lots of tv's. For now they still broadcast the analog signal as well so you don't need a receiver for every TV.

That new PVR that Bell has is the cat's ass. I have the original shaw one (the 6208) and a PVR changes the way you watch tv, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

I'm using Dish Network and I haven't had any issues in over 6 months but they're switching over to a new system and alas my US satellite will be dead until someone can resolve the problem.

I have a Starchoice system as well and come Sept I think I'll be upgrading the programming since my Dish will probably be completely gone. The only thing I don't like about my Starchoice is the loading time it takes for the menu to come up. I think that might change because I'll have to upgrade to a new receiver to receive some international channels and the HDTV channels. My current receiver is probably one of the first ones Starchoice ever produced. I like Starchoice though....no problems with them so far.

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by missblondie
    Alright... I know I might get flamed for this really bad, but have you considered Star Choice... hd channels are included for no extra charge, 100% digital picture, no 2 year contract to sign...
    versitile recievers that are actually more affordable then bells, and a brand new dvr is now available...and almost every channel between the 2 companies is the exact same...

the only thing they have more of is ethnic channels
    Bells basic system starts at $49 right now. Thats cheap and thats for the brand new 4100 system.

If you wanted to go with HD it starts at $250, Bell has the most HD channels out of any provider(27)

The contract is 2 years but that gives you free install, instore price reductions and credits. You can do a one year but you loose the promos/install. If you had to cancel its 140 Appx per reciever.

Star choice doesnt offer time shifting and Bells programming is cheaper.

Craig

My Ride
    Denali

Originally posted by craigcd

Bells basic system starts at $49 right now. Thats cheap and thats for the brand new 4100 system.

If you wanted to go with HD it starts at $250, Bell has the most HD channels out of any provider(27)

The contract is 2 years but that gives you free install, instore price reductions and credits. You can do a one year but you loose the promos/install. If you had to cancel its 140 Appx per reciever.

Craig
    Ok... the 4100 is net $49 dollars... so that is after $50 programming credits. The regular price of the reciever is actually $99.00.
    Starchoice's basic reciever is net $0... the upfront cost is $49 and you will recieve a $50 ppv coupon and a $50 programming credit.

There high definition is again net $250.... after programming credits... the starchoice hd reciever and the bell hd reciever before credits are both $299.

With starchoice there is no 2 year contract and you still get your free installation and satellite dish...

And yes.... Starchoice does have time shifting... us networks come from detroit or buffalo and spokane or seattle... for canadian timeshifting there are canadian channels from each different time zone.

On the other hand, bell does have more high definition channels available, for an extra cost of $10 per month.

I'm running both satellite systems at home.

You may want to take the following into consideration.

- extra rcvr fees. Starchoice has one as well, but they include a lifetime warranty with their multiple rcvr fee. Bell's extra rcvr fee does not (they charge extra for the rcvr warranty)

- Bell basic programming is cheaper, but does not include US networks, Starchoice does.

- To maintain Bell's dish maintenance is an extra fee. Starchoice offers free Service calls and maintenance for the first 2 years.

- Both companies offer Free dish installs.

- Bell has more HD channels, but charge extra for them. TSN HD, and Discovery HD are extra on top of the $10, if you don't have corrensponding bundles that include those channels already. Starchoice current line up is at 12 channels, but all free.

- Bell has more ethnic channels. Starchoice is very limiited. Channel line-up on both sides is nearly idential. (Except a handful of channels)

- Dish technology is not as weather sensitive as cable users make it out to be. I've had less than 10 minutes downtime in the last 4 years, from either system.

Your best off looking at which provider suits your needs for the better price, since both providers channels line-ups are pretty much identical.
    If you can maintain the dish on your own, bell maybe your better option, as they have more channels to offer.
    If you're looking for overall warranty coverage and maintenance coverage, starchoice maybe a better offer for you.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Doomsday88; 08-29-2005 at 05:57 PM.

My Ride
    Denali

Originally posted by Doomsday88
    I'm running both satellite systems at home.

You may want to take the following into consideration.

- extra rcvr fees. Starchoice has one as well, but they include a lifetime warranty with their multiple rcvr fee. Bell's extra rcvr fee does not (they charge extra for the rcvr warranty)

- Bell basic programming is cheaper, but does not include US networks, Starchoice does.

- To maintain Bell's dish maintenance is an extra fee. Starchoice offers free Service calls and maintenance for the first 2 years.

- Both companies offer Free dish installs.

- Bell has more HD channels, but charge extra for them. TSN HD, and Discovery HD are extra on top of the $10, if you don't have corrensponding bundles that include those channels already. Starchoice current line up is at 12 channels, but all free.

- Bell has more ethnic channels. Starchoice is very limiited. Channel line-up on both sides is nearly idential. (Except a handful of channels)

- Dish technology is not as weather sensitive as cable users make it out to be. I've had less than 10 minutes downtime in the last 4 years, from either system.

Your best off looking at which provider suits your needs for the better price, since both providers channels line-ups are pretty much identical.
    If you can maintain the dish on your own, bell maybe your better option, as they have more channels to offer.
    If you're looking for overall warranty coverage and maintenance coverage, starchoice maybe a better offer for you.

Hope this helps.
    You know your stuff hey!!! I have worked at Star Choice for over a year now and some people that work with me aren't even that good!!!!

One thing though.... starchoice's basic programming is $20 a month and does include tsn and the us networks... Bells basic programming is $25 but includes ytv and treehouse and also has tsn and the us networks, so they do have a few extra popular channels included

My Ride
    Model S

ive had both bell and starchoice and recommend starchoice. i will say that the starchoice PVR does suck compared to bells though.

thats wrong, and wrong.

starchoice also has higher bitrate (better picture quality).

edit: SC is adding 4 more HD channels in sept/oct also. even though bell appears to have more, they dont really have more actual HD programming.

My Ride
    Denali

Originally posted by googe
    ive had both bell and starchoice and recommend starchoice. i will say that the starchoice PVR does suck compared to bells though.

thats wrong, and wrong.

starchoice also has higher bitrate (better picture quality).

edit: SC is adding 4 more HD channels in sept/oct also. even though bell appears to have more, they dont really have more actual HD programming.
    Well, Star Choice has committed to adding more hd programming by christmas, but they haven't commited to the number of channels it will be. As you probably noticed in the recent change all of Star Choices hd channels are now true channels, and not a mix and match between hd programs, which I think is much better.

In regards to the pvr... the new downloads should be out shortly so you will see a nice change in that reciever

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast