Quantcast
Heat cycling Tires - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Heat cycling Tires

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Default Heat cycling Tires

do you need an over for this or can it be done with them on your car? I hear it helps improve the wear and stickyness of your tire?

Lurking in some bushes outside your house
    My Ride
    S14/D21

Yes you can do this with the tires on the car. Wont make a difference unless its an R compound tire.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by KoukiS14
    Yes you can do this with the tires on the car. Wont make a difference unless its an R compound tire.
    care to post how, and yes im aware that it is only for R compounds... im looking to get a little better everything from my next set of tires

My Ride
    a wrx.

Highway drive them an hour each direction (as in, rotate the tires to the other side of the car) and then lay them flat for a day.

I'm sure the tire manufacturer has more specific directions if you want to be precise with temperatures and whatnot..

My Ride
    gixxer 750

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Lurking in some bushes outside your house
    My Ride
    S14/D21

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

care to post how, and yes im aware that it is only for R compounds... im looking to get a little better everything from my next set of tires
    Taken from Kumho's site.

"Heat cycling helps you get the most consistent performance and tread life out of your tires. It is the process of gently bringing the tires up to temperature for a short duration and letting them cool. Ideally, you should break in your tires, remove them from your vehicle, and set them aside for more than 24 hours before your track sessions and races"

Tire Rack

"The first time a competition tire is used is the most important. During that run, its tread compound is stretched, some of the weaker bonds between the rubber molecules will be broken (which generates some of the heat). If the tires are initially run too hard or too long, some of the stronger bonds will also be broken which will reduces the tire's grip and wear qualities. Running new tires through an easy heat cycle first, and allowing them to relax allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. It actually makes them more consistent in strength and more resistant to losing their strength the next time they are used. An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules."

Basically what i was gonna say. Find the specs for proper temp. Drive on em, get them up to temp. An infared thermometer makes this easier. Remove and let them cool.
    Last edited by KoukiS14; 08-27-2005 at 03:28 AM.