Quantcast
Beyond Members Careers - Page 44 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond Members Careers

My Ride
    V8s

+1 for why put in the work to get a diploma + degree. Once you have your degree, no one will care if you have a diploma. I guess if you really want to pursue a career that applies your degree in a technical setting... but if that's the case, you'd be better off with only the diploma, and spend that extra couple years you would have spent in school jump starting the new career.

Take my advice with a big grain of salt though. I only used my eng degree for about 3 (unhappy) years, cause I worked my ass off to get into roles where I don't have to actually apply it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    +1 for why put in the work to get a diploma + degree. Once you have your degree, no one will care if you have a diploma. I guess if you really want to pursue a career that applies your degree in a technical setting... but if that's the case, you'd be better off with only the diploma, and spend that extra couple years you would have spent in school jump starting the new career.

Take my advice with a big grain of salt though. I only used my eng degree for about 3 (unhappy) years, cause I worked my ass off to get into roles where I don't have to actually apply it.
    Werd
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:08 PM.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I think I've just been feeling really burned out and depressed lately. I'm kind of feeling better after reading some of your replies.
    Totally get how you feel. Focus on each term, one at a time, and maybe focus on the diploma for now. You can decide later if you want to continue moving forward and getting the degree.

My Ride
    E46

I think I've just been feeling really burned out and depressed lately. I'm kind of feeling better after reading some of your replies.
    I would space out the degree honestly, that's too many courses. It sucks but it'll increase your marks overall and keep you sane. Burn out is a very real thing. If you are taking spring/summer courses I would prioritize getting some related summer work instead (might be late to apply now), that'll give you a break (with some small $$) and also give you more practical learning.

TL

My Ride
    V8s

Or if you're maintaining good grades, look into a transfer to UBC. If you don't lose too many courses, this could be a better route to go (if you don't actually want the diploma, per my post above).

Can you transfer courses to UBC?

My Ride
    V8s

I don't think the course transfer nicely into UBC. I can probably get credit for quite a bit, but I'd end up resetting the clock back to 4 years again.

I've actually talked to the program about spacing it all out, and they told me that if I do that it will be reflected negatively toward my competitive entry into 3rd year.
    It's probably worth the time (yes, I know you don't have much to spare) to actually talk to UBC about this. It sounds to me like the BCIT program has a few notable drawbacks (e.g. spacing the workload a bit reflecting negatively on you, and getting a diploma and degree when you only need one or the other).

If you're willing to space out the courses in your program, you might be edging back towards the 4 year horizon anyways.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I would also argue the UBC degree will carry more weight than the BCIT Degree outside of BC.

Accredited or not any job you apply for in Alberta will ask you the question “so is that like SAIT?”

People there might know it’s a rigorous program, but I doubt that clout travels far.

That’s just a $0.02.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by mrsingh View Post
    This is silly. Again, why force a Tech through all that calculus? Unless the failure rate is over 80% I don't think that math is going to be comparable to university, engineering math. It should be due to the accreditation, but so few people can actually make it through regular university calculus and engineering calc is even harder and more accelerated. How can they get future Tech's to pass that without insisting that they got >95% in high school math?
    Tech's are a LONG way from dumb but when 80% of BSc grads needed to take 1st Year math twice (and that's the ones in the Science Faculty), I don't think you can place students who wouldn't have qualified for Engineering Faculty into that horrible math unless you're ready for 80% failure rates.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Medical professionals seem to go for dudes who makes less. I know a ton of tradesmen who are married to doctors, dentists and orthodontists.
    I am the exception. Mine is a doctor (internal med/surgery). Maybe someday she'll make more than me, I sure hope so.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    I am the exception. Mine is a doctor (internal med/surgery). Maybe someday she'll make more than me, I sure hope so.
    We've leapfrogged each other over the years. It's fun when your wife passes you in income. We have a good friendly competition going.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

When I was doing engineering at UVic there were a bunch of guys who transferred from BCIT after 2nd year. It was some type of official program, but I’m not sure of the details.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

After 17 years at the same job, I started looking for a new career in January. Slim pickings due to the economy and one seemingly solid interview ended up a dead end, as they ended up suddenly laying off some people.

So I took another job in the same field. A little better than my old job, but I think I'll still be looking to get out of aviation when the economy picks back up.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    We've leapfrogged each other over the years. It's fun when your wife passes you in income. We have a good friendly competition going.
    Everybody wins!

My Ride
    NC1

Damn where you guys finding baller wives? And yes confirmed Jlude did good attaboy!

Plus SP you can make 27% half ass trading, just focus on that, fk school man.

Day trade, smoke some weed, eat some food, hang with the wife, life is good?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    *The First*

I'm actually getting killed in Math right now. This is just an example from my worksheet today, I personally find it challenging, but then again I don't really know if it is equivalent to 1st year engineering or not.

Attachment 85571

Yep that looks awful and yet again it's something that no Tech should ever have to be put through. Tech's should be learning the software and tools to calculate volumes, not the theory and fundamentals behind the scenes.
    I think it's something about integrating that surface and then revolving it around to calculate the volume. I smell polar coordinates in there somewhere. Gross.
    It's all about the volume of difficult problems in Engineering math. Brief intro to a brand new concept followed by a shit ton of complex problems on it. Repeat. Plus five other classes doing the same thing to you. You can cheat on all your assignments but that'll only earn you 5-10% of your total mark and you'll get 29% on your exams & fail.

Edit: further to polar coordinates... I'm not sure if "kids these days" will realize they were trying to teach Bart Simpson polar coordinates when he stole Martin's test and ended up in genius school.
    "... Pleased with the results. r dr r. Get it? r^2 dr is Har dee harHar!"
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 04-12-2019 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Sweet Simpsons reference.

Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 ... LastLast