Quantcast
USA Health Insurance - School me on Group Insurance plans - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: USA Health Insurance - School me on Group Insurance plans

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default USA Health Insurance - School me on Group Insurance plans

I may be helping to set up a company in the USA this year, and one item that we'd need to address is health insurance. From the employer perspective, what companies are "good" and how much does it cost? I had someone tell me I should count on $1000/mo for each employee. Is that crazy? Does it vary much from state to state? @KPHMPH didn't you go through this recently?

Being a Canadian, this is all really confusing to me, but I can appreciate how a good heal insurance plan is required to attract and retain employees. I can also assume that a well-organized insurance provider can reduce the administrative burden on the company, which is important for a new business.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Because I’m still Canadian I’m allowed to use Canadian based insurance companies.

I use a company called Tugo which has an office here in Calgary. $950 for a 1 year policy but I have to come back to Canada to “reset” it every 60 days.

When I looked down in the states it was going to cost me $640/ month for 2 people for a “really good plan” in their eyes. At the end of the day for a big procedure you still had anywhere from a $2500-$10,000 deductible. ( this was through blue cross )
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ok, that won't work for the situation I'm looking at, because the people we want to insure are USA citizens residing in USA. I'm not moving to the USA (yet).
    $640/mo for two is better than I was expecting. Sounds like maybe $1000/mo for three is possible. That is probably fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Don’t buy healthcare on price. In the US, you need to know what coverage you need first. 640/month for two might avoid bankruptcy, but it’s not a very good plan. My only reference is a family of 5, health and dental, $3500 family max out of pocket, 90% for dr visits, $25 for urgent care = $2400 per month thru United Healthcare One Coverage

You can get Group rates for any company above 5 people, but the cost will be nearly retail. Same coverage above but covered in our company (500+ people) was $1200 per month.