Quantcast
Energy Efficiency Alberta - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Efficiency Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No I’m referring to you saying that as a condo unit owner that you can simply slap solar panels on “roofs, yard, poles, balcony, balcony roof, walls, soon to be windows” when in reality this isn’t a practical suggestion. Since you don’t own the structure you can’t go doing that unless you have the buy in from the rest of the residents. There are restrictive convenents that prevent modifications like this. No condo board is going to agree to that unless you have heavy buy in.

Then you say you think 1000 acres for you is preferable to shoebox living which is not at all practical and extremely damaging environmentally if everyone in Alberta or even just Calgary tried to do that.....
    the 1000 acres was my rough stab at area needed for solar panel area to power all Clagary

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Which is impossible in a condo. So basically, high density living is bad, we need more sprawl? haha
    It's all about a market where condo dweller will buy power from burb buildings.

Calgary peak consumption is 11MW during the hottest day in 2017.

Calgary has 280K detached dwellings. If each can generate 0.1kw, that's 28MW. Or almost 3x the city's 2017 needs.

The problem is how to release or bank those 17MW surplus when everyone got the panels. And the fact that what we have to use to offset the 6 months of Winter where even a 0.1kw generation is questionable when every panel got covered by snow.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-05-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    the 1000 acres was my rough stab at area needed for solar panel area to power all Clagary
    I actually support your solar quest, will open a lot of mining jobs worldwide if countries start transitioning. Will also require a huge input from oil and gas to run the mines and extraction processes as well as ship the materials worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    It's all about a market where condo dweller will buy power from burb buildings.

Calgary peak consumption is 11MW during the hottest day in 2017.

Calgary has 280K detached dwellings. If each can generate 0.1kw, that's 28MW. Or almost 3x the city's 2017 needs.
    that cant be right can it? that only $100 aliexpress 100 watt solar panel per detached house?

current system load is 13 mw too. but close enough. https://www.enmax.com/generation-wir...-system-demand

EDIT! DOH it 13 THOUSAND megawatts i was so conused!
    Last edited by Gestalt; 04-05-2018 at 04:50 PM.

I actually support your solar quest, will open a lot of mining jobs worldwide if countries start transitioning. Will also require a huge input from oil and gas to run the mines and extraction processes as well as ship the materials worldwide.
    1 year out of its 30+ year span for each panel is used to pay back energy used in its production but that is dropping with newer technology, and at some point panels will supply energy to build panels.

i heard microsfot is setting up 750,000 panels for its servers.

1 year out of its 30+ year span for each panel is used to pay back energy used in its production but that is dropping with newer technology, and at some point panels will supply energy to build panels.

i heard microsfot is setting up 750,000 panels for its servers.
    Again you’re ignoring storage.....

Again you’re ignoring storage.....
    Not really, same idea, but even cutting our energy in half by using solar during the day would be yuge, YUGE!

My Ride
    Bicycle

that cant be right can it? that only $100 aliexpress 100 watt solar panel per detached house?

current system load is 13 mw too. but close enough. https://www.enmax.com/generation-wir...-system-demand
    I read that a 6kw system will generate 5000-6000kwh/year in Alberta.

Say 70% of that a for 6 months when we have more sunlight and 30% of that are the other 6 months when we have darkness/snow. So in Calgary worse case is 1kw on a 6kw system per household.

But I use 0.1kw to illustrate that if everyone got one on their house, we don't need to burn anything really. But the real issue is we still have to pay for a multi-billion plants and invest in multibillion in batteries as back ups because you really can't predict what every single panel will actually generate.

I'm pretty sure that will power engineers that will also tell me that may be to serve 11MW, you actually need to generate 20MW due to loss in transmission or something.

EDIT: I fucked up too. It's 11,000MW. Solar wont' save us. lol. I knew something doesn't smell right.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-05-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I read that a 6kw system will generate 5000-6000kwh/year in Alberta.

Say 70% of that a for 6 months when we have more sunlight and 30% of that are the other 6 months when we have darkness/snow. So in Calgary worse case is 1kw on a 6kw system per household.

But I use 0.1kw to illustrate that if everyone got one on their house, we don't need to burn anything really. But the real issue is we still have to pay for a multi-billion plants and invest in multibillion in batteries as back ups because you really can't predict what every single panel will actually generate.

I'm pretty sure that will power engineers that will also tell me that may be to serve 11MW, you actually need to generate 20MW due to loss in transmission or something.

EDIT: I fucked up too. It's 11,000MW. Solar wont' save us. lol. I knew something doesn't smell right.
    haaaa I know, I realized it and edited above. Its most likley businesses that burn the big numbers. I think most detached houses could manage to be self suficient. back to my 1000 acres of panels idea

Not really, same idea, but even cutting our energy in half by using solar during the day would be yuge, YUGE!
    No, yet again you’re ignoring the energy expenditure involved in producing storage (batteries) which are a requirement if we are to go fully to solar.

Like I said you’ll produce a ton of “dirty” mining jobs and fossil fuel expenditure to ship the storage materials worldwide and manufacture batteries. You take a WAY too narrow minded view on this.

A barrel of tar, 2 barells of water and a half barell of dirty chemicals to make enough gas that an SUV burns in a week.

Make a battery that last 12 years. Hmmmmm seems like a tough decksion.

A barrel of tar, 2 barells of water and a half barell of dirty chemicals to make enough gas that an SUV burns in a week.

Make a battery that last 12 years. Hmmmmm seems like a tough decksion.
    Again I don’t think you’ve looked wide enough and actually fully understood the lifecycle of solar.

It’s like a Prius owner who thinks they are environmentally friendly while conveniently ignoring the massive amounts of energy and fossil fuels used up to produce the batteries in their car and the car itself.

Not saying that fossil fuels are better but the idea that solar is even close to being a green source of energy is extremely misguided and ignorant.

I’m willing to bet you’ve done no research into the mining operations required to produce batteries.

Again I don’t think you’ve looked wide enough and actually fully understood the lifecycle of solar.

It’s like a Prius owner who thinks they are environmentally friendly while conveniently ignoring the massive amounts of energy and fossil fuels used up to produce the batteries in their car and the car itself.

Not saying that fossil fuels are better but the idea that solar is even close to being a green source of energy is extremely misguided and ignorant.

I’m willing to bet you’ve done no research into the mining operations required to produce batteries.
    We are making a car either way. Thats not the debate. We are making a more efficient one one way or a gas pig the other.

So a barell of sludge can power your suv for a week while it is being burned into the air, or your battery 'from a barel of sludge' can power it for 12 years.

Im confused why this is confusing for you.

3 adults in our home, electricity averages 1220kwh, $3.35 a day. 3 computers running 24/7, couple of UPS, hot tub

The big shocker when I looked back into my bill history is our water consumption dropping 41% with my daughter moving out - shit that girl used a lot of water. Average consumption for 3 adults is currently just under 15 cubic meters a month, with my daughter living here (4 people) average was 25 cubic meters a month - she was good for 10 cubic meters a month, that's 330 liters a day (72 imperial gallons)! Nuts.
    Will fuck off, again.

We are making a car either way. Thats not the debate. We are making a more efficient one one way or a gas pig the other.

So a barell of sludge can power your suv for a week while it is being burned into the air, or your battery 'from a barel of sludge' can power it for 12 years.

Im confused why this is confusing for you.
    Read up on how long it takes the Prius to make up the energy impact added by the battery manufacturing process to even break even with an average car in 10 years.

Again, you have to look at the full lifecycle. The old joke was for 10 years or something like that it was better for the environment to have bought a hummer and driven it for 10 years than it was to have bought a Prius. I think in the end 10 years was exaggerated but it wasn’t far off.

You are looking at it from he narrow minded end user perspective.

Again, do your research. It’s not as simple as you think.

Read up on how long it takes the Prius to make up the energy impact added by the battery manufacturing process to even break even with an average car in 10 years.

Again, you have to look at the full lifecycle. The old joke was for 10 years or something like that it was better for the environment to have bought a hummer and driven it for 10 years than it was to have bought a Prius. I think in the end 10 years was exaggerated but it wasn’t far off.

You are looking at it from he narrow minded end user perspective.

Again, do your research. It’s not as simple as you think.
    This kids is why we dont do drugs.

This kids is why we dont do drugs.
    Make personal attacks all you want. You have not even attempted to do an ounce of research.

It’s weird, everytime someone challenges you, you never respond with facts or research you just go straight to the personal attacks.

Make personal attacks all you want. You have not even attempted to do an ounce of research.

It’s weird, everytime someone challenges you, you never respond with facts or research you just go straight to the personal attacks.
    if you challenge me and say elvis is alive, I also wont respond. you read some bs about prisues on a website from a report that was proved fraduluent 10 years ago (it was the aluminum they claimed thaqt made it bad btw), and then extend it out to solar panels somehow, and then want me to convince you of something?

christ.
    Last edited by Gestalt; 04-05-2018 at 07:09 PM.

if you challenge me and say elvis is alive, I also wont respond. you read some bs about prisues on a website from a report that was proved fraduluent 10 years ago (it was the aluminum they claimed thaqt made it bad btw), and then extend it out to solar panels somehow, and then want me to convince you of something?

christ.
    Again solar storage....

You have done zero research on solar storage from what you’ve demonstrated

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Again solar storage....

You have done zero research on solar storage from what you’ve demonstrated
    Why do you keep trying to have an intelligent conversation with the Gestalt troll?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast