Quantcast
Buying a new Subaru....Extended warranty and Rust Proofing? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new Subaru....Extended warranty and Rust Proofing?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Buying a new Subaru....Extended warranty and Rust Proofing?

Hi guys,

Put a deposit down on a new 2018 Crosstrek today and was offered extended warranty and an undercoating/rust proofing/paint protection/upholstery protection package. Is undercoating and rust proofing still necessary? Reading online, most people say you don't need it anymore, but some said their Subaru rusted out after some time and the whole frame collapsed....so wondering if I should do any of this or not.

As far as extended warranties, heard a few horror stories of them not honoring repairs, so are any of them worth it?

Thanks

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Say no to the undercoating/rustproofing/paint protection and take it to an independant shop and get it done instead. Save $$ as theres no Finance office insane markup
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Say no to the undercoating/rustproofing/paint protection and take it to an independant shop and get it done instead. Save $$ as theres no Finance office insane markup
    This, but I wouldn't bother with undercoating/rustproofing if you aren't going to own the car past 5 years. Our roads aren't nearly as corrosive as Ontario, or Quebec.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

This too. A friend bought a crosstrek. She took it too a independent shop after for the undercoating and saved $$ too.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I would never install any kind of asphalt or rubberized undercoating on any car. If you want corrosion protection you want the oil or lanolin type spray stuff that you re-do every year or two. (Krown is one brand).
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I would never install any kind of asphalt or rubberized undercoating on any car. If you want corrosion protection you want the oil or lanolin type spray stuff that you re-do every year or two. (Krown is one brand).
    Out of curiosity... why?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Out of curiosity... why?
    The asphalt/rubberized undercoating can trap moisture, especially if later on a small section gets damaged. Water can get in but can't get out = massive rust.

The best solution out of anything is to simply wash your car on a regular basis. It was the 07 and earlier Subarus that had rust problems, the newer ones, not so much.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    The asphalt/rubberized undercoating can trap moisture, especially if later on a small section gets damaged. Water can get in but can't get out = massive rust.

The best solution out of anything is to simply wash your car on a regular basis. It was the 07 and earlier Subarus that had rust problems, the newer ones, not so much.
    This.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I just go to wash bays and wand wash the undercarriage in the winter and this does a fine job keeping the underpinnings of my cars relatively rust free.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

How is the F&I guy going to make his next boat payment if you don't buy all this stuff?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

isn't it usually a hot chick? Sure was when I bought my Odyssey.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This too. A friend bought a crosstrek. She took it too a independent shop after for the undercoating and saved $$ too.
    When I worked at Nissan, their Finance Dept Pro-Pack package was $1899. I think actual cost to us was $599ish when we had to send it out. Then they started doing it in-house so that cost went down to like $299. And you wonder why Finance Dept are all ballers
    Last edited by dj_rice; 06-30-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post

This. I had two 80s cars of the same model, both were AB cars from the start, similar mileage. One is an 83 without any undercoating (factory or aftermarket), the other was an 85 with an aftermarket undercoating and rust proofing treatment (Ziebart). The 83 has surface rust underneath but no perforations, everything is solid. The 85 was a disaster...rusted floors, doors, trunk...anywhere there was undercoating and a seam/joint, I could push through the metal. Even the door frames were rusted (no undercoating but they were "rustproofed"). But the car looked fine from the outside.

My Ride
    NC1

From now on I will take my chances with all warranty type stuff. I figured all the money I have spent on them over the years it's worth it haha

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Bummer.. so the rust proofing is just a fad?

My Ride

Thanks for the info guys, I will skip on their protection package, I always tell others it's worthless, but this being my first brand new vehicle, I figured I should double check.

Regarding the warranty, I heard that many times it's hard to make a claim from third party ones, so I think i will skip this as well. I do plan on keeping the car for like 10 years or so (if it makes it), which is why I am kind of considering a 7 year warranty. I don't understand how they can sell a 7 year warranty...when it's really 4 years since the first 3 are under the manufacturer.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

I *think* that the Subie extended warranty is actually administered through Subaru. That's what the finance guy said when I got my 16 WRX anyways. Either way, I wouldn't bother, anything that's going to break will probably break within the first three years, and the aftermarket is actually quite good for the Crosstrek too.

My Ride
    NC1

When I worked at Nissan, their Finance Dept Pro-Pack package was $1899. I think actual cost to us was $599ish when we had to send it out. Then they started doing it in-house so that cost went down to like $299. And you wonder why Finance Dept are all ballers
    Ya man. I need a gig like that.

Not sure what motor is the CrossTrek but those non turbo Subarus should be pretty damn reliable and cheap to operate given it's been the same thing for the last 20 years? Is that an exaggeration? lol
    My dad's 08 Tribeca has over 180k now and mom's 03 Forester is somewhere in the 450k range haha Not an issue at all. Perhaps it's different with the TUrbos.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Ya man. I need a gig like that.

Not sure what motor is the CrossTrek but those non turbo Subarus should be pretty damn reliable and cheap to operate given it's been the same thing for the last 20 years? Is that an exaggeration? lol
    My dad's 08 Tribeca has over 180k now and mom's 03 Forester is somewhere in the 450k range haha Not an issue at all. Perhaps it's different with the TUrbos.
    No turbo on this one. Apparently Subaru says that for this engine, 80% of the parts have been reworked, so not the same engine anymore, but close.

My Ride

So I dug a little bit more into this protection package, and it's not done at the dealer, but is instead sent to "Calgary Auto Protectors", which seems to be a very highly rated business with very good reviews online. Does this change anything, or is it still a waste?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast