Quantcast
City charter, prepare for lower speed limits. Implementing April 2021 - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: City charter, prepare for lower speed limits. Implementing April 2021

My Ride
    NC1

Same stats as WMD probably

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1st St SW between 12th and 17th is quite good.
    When was 1 St SW ever a "go to" road? Hint: never.

Garrison Woods has some good stuff (well, a couple streets that are really good and a bunch of stuff that's not very good).
    No one ever cut through Garrison Woods either. Any traffic calming measures were simply part of new road infrastructure there.

Slim pickings in this city. Too often it's just picking one method of traffic calming in one spot and hoping that does the trick, rather than trying it all along the street, or multiple kinds along a street.
    Downtown has had a lot of lanes removed, especially on streets (as opposed to avenues). 2 St SW for instance.

So a road that connects 17th Ave to downtown that goes under the tracks was never a 'go to' road but 2nd St SW is apparently something to talk about.

Also, you don't need to take a busy road and turn it slow to qualify as traffic calming. Traffic calming measures work whether a road is brand new and never used before or is an established road that the measures were added to.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

This might be unrelated but how long is 17th ave sw supposed to be fucked up for, and not allow you to drive down it from 14th st to mcleod tr. I feel like this project is never ending.

Also is having speed bumps in your community something that the councilor for that ward asks to be put in, I notice that its in some select streets in West Hilhurst but totally missing from newer neighborhoods altogether.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This might be unrelated but how long is 17th ave sw supposed to be fucked up for, and not allow you to drive down it from 14th st to mcleod tr. I feel like this project is never ending.

Also is having speed bumps in your community something that the councilor for that ward asks to be put in, I notice that its in some select streets in West Hilhurst but totally missing from newer neighborhoods altogether.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...l-Schedule.pdf

But that's til 9th St and wrap up for 2018. 2019 will continue 9th to 14th.

5 blocks a year sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...l-Schedule.pdf

But that's til 9th St and wrap up for 2018. 2019 will continue 9th to 14th.

5 blocks a year sounds about right.
    And remember these plans are made using the assumption the 60-70 year old as-builts are even somewhat accurate (even for the time) and the utilities are somewhat consistent. This isn’t a typical project since it’s a complete utilities overhaul that has cause delays (IIRC phase I had all the gas lines encased in concrete or something stupid). A delay in one delays all the others and that has led to the project sitting idle for weeks to the detriment of businesses along the street.

Of course when the 4th street to 7th street block was closed and you didn’t have pathetic assholes revving cars up and down the street was as good a patio time as any.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Our councilors have voted. Speed limit reduction is a go.

The stats are hilarious. 5 pedestrians killed in residential areas in the last 7 years. None had anything to do with speeding.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

City admin responsible for deciding 30 or 40.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Can’t wait to be driving though all the residential areas in first gear /facepalm.

Well I've never been a fan of his but our community's new councillor voted against this, guess I've got to take a second look at Chu. Farrell was our previous councillor before the ward boundaries were changed and it was really a no brainer with respect to how she would voted on this.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Yep, they are also looking at lowering the collector roads as well.

What would have made sense was mandating fucking winter tires. The difference in driver abilities and judgement in the winter is staggering. How many deaths and needless accidents have been caused by vehicles in all season tires, being driven by those who have no business driving in the winter without winters?

We are an Northern city and the 6 months that its below 0 gets ignored completely by the safety Marxists.
    Last edited by revelations; 09-24-2018 at 07:57 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I'd like to see what the overall effect of expanding playground hours to 9pm did to motor-vehicle incidents in this city.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    I'd like to see what the overall effect of expanding playground hours to 9pm did to motor-vehicle incidents in this city.
    It had nowhere to go but up. There weren’t really any to begin with.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...hml=GEOCODABLE

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Our councilors have voted. Speed limit reduction is a go.

The stats are hilarious. 5 pedestrians killed in residential areas in the last 7 years. None had anything to do with speeding.
    Do you have a list of them? I think one was someone getting run over by a car backing out of a driveway
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

On the news tonight they said that from 2012 to 2017 there were 62 pedestrian fatalities but only 5 were in residential areas. So ONE per year and there's no evidence that a speed reduction would have eliminated any or all of those 5. So now we have to constrict all of society for a once a year MAYBE? Fuck you Nenshi and all you useless pricks that supported this motion, boiling society down to the lowest common denominator, and then lowering it some more.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Do you have a list of them? I think one was someone getting run over by a car backing out of a driveway
    Yup.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ch...553/story.html

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/charges-...rian-fatality/

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/woman-die...reet-1.2822562

https://edmontonsun.com/2016/05/09/f...1-8c1767e15a62

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ttli-1.3718871

First one was run over twice, second one was backing up, 3rd was near crosswalk at night, 4th was the poor little girl in bowness where truck was stopped then drove into her from a stop, last was the backing up one. The 3rd, I couldn’t find any information on speed, aside from speed was not a factor from police.

My Ride
    Grimace

So awesome, thanks Druh
    Small city solutions to a non-existent problem.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

The 40 zones in elbow park/Mount Royal give me this urge to drive even faster, this should be interesting

Beauty! I hope this plus the dishonesty in Olympic costs seals Druh and Nenshi's fate.

What's to cost of the signage change? Gotta be a few million and Nenshi will cram it down our throats that the old signs are being recycled and repurposed to other cities to offset the cost.
    I think we need civil servants on every corner for the first year to ensure pedestrians get educated on this lower speed and probably need to get more multinova vans to enforce the new limit.

Guess you guys will just need to get little T15 turbo's for your 0-50km/h pulls.
    Last edited by mr2mike; 09-25-2018 at 07:25 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Beauty! I hope this plus the dishonesty in Olympic costs seals Druh and Nenshi's fate.

What's to cost of the signage change? Gotta be a few million and Nenshi will cram it down our throats that the old signs are being recycled and repurposed to other cities to offset the cost.
    I think we need civil servants on every corner for the first year to ensure pedestrians get educated on this lower speed and probably need to get more multinova vans to enforce the new limit.

Guess you guys will just need to get little T15 turbo's for your 0-50km/h pulls.
    Unless they go the route of saying that any unsigned road is now at the new limit, then its only labor to remove existing signs. CPS can then ticket and let people argue in court if they feel they were wrongly ticketed.

The directive to CPS to come up with an enforcement and "education" campaign is already included in the motion that passed.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast