Quantcast
Discussion: Soccer & turbans - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Soccer & turbans

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Discussion: Soccer & turbans

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Calgary/...03629-sun.html

Is a turban unfair advantage when playing soccer? Or is this just damn racist?

Hmmm, interesting point. I can't see how it would be an advantage, if anything I would have thought it would make it more difficult to direct the ball when heading it.

My Ride
    GTI

Not racist, just against the rules and regulations. These need to be changed though obviously, to make room for people's religious rights, I'm surprised the rules haven't been changed already.

Only way it would be racist if there was a jewish kid playing with his Kipa on, (I don't know how to spell it), and then the sikh wasn't allowed to wear his turban.

Personally I think they should be able to play with them on, but the rules have to be followed. It is unfortunate though.

I'm sure these kids have played with them on already, or knew about the rules. It's strange.

umm...i dont see how itd b an advantage for soccer...that makes NO sense
    It'd make heading the ball more awkward if anything?

My Ride
    GTI

It's not about advantage, you're not allowed to year anything on your head, no hats, bandanas, turbans or anything, (to my knowledge).

I didn't read anywhere in the article where it said anything about having an advantage by wearing a turban.

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

I think it's total BS..i'm sikh and wear a turban as well, and I don't see how it would be an advantage. Hows it against the rules? I thought the ref said it was against the rules, but later they found out that there was no such line that said its illegal?

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Just read your second post Hakkola, and I never knew about that rule, however, this is Canada, we should be going forwards not backwards. The ref shouldnt have used some obsolete rule against him, I could expect this in some other countries...but never thought it'd happen in Canada.

My Ride
    GTI

I completely agree with you, and I think they should be allowed to wear turbans, but it's the ref's job to uphold rules no matter how stupid they are. If I wasn't allowed to play because it I was wearing a turban I'd be pissed, but you can't blame the ref.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

In Canada on an amateur level, which is what all soccer is in this country it should have been allowed. On international level fifa has rules that have to be followed and headgear of any kind is not allowed.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

sorry for my ignorance but could someone quickly please explain how it is against your religion

isnt it true that no woman has golfed agusta augusta? (where the masters is held) because its against their rules???
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

In the sikh religion you're not supposed to cut your hair, and you're supposed to keep your head covered. That being said, the keeping your head covered part might confuse some people with the muslim religion - where women cover their faces...in the sikh religion women don't cover their faces. (just clearing that up because it seems to be a common misconception)

My Ride
    89 colt gt 4g63

If you can't take your turban off, don't play soccer. Simple as that. Teh sikh kid is the one being ignorant. I can't believe this BS made it to the newspapaer.

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

what the fuck dcoultis? Why the hell would it matter if he has his turban on, its not giving him an advantage. You're seriously an ignorant prick.

Originally posted by dcoultis
    If you can't take your turban off, don't play soccer. Simple as that. Teh sikh kid is the one being ignorant. I can't believe this BS made it to the newspapaer.
    Why shouldn't he be allowed to play soccer, though? Obviously, a turban won't really make a difference to the game (especially at an amateur level), and most of the kid's teammates agreed.

Originally posted by Gurpy
    In the sikh religion you're not supposed to cut your hair, and you're supposed to keep your head covered. That being said, the keeping your head covered part might confuse some people with the muslim religion - where women cover their faces...in the sikh religion women don't cover their faces. (just clearing that up because it seems to be a common misconception)
    it is optional is it not? i grew up with some sikh kids in winnipeg and they never wore one. and also... if your playing at the fifa level and your livelyhood and ability to support your family depends on you competing, you can loose the turban imo.

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

Originally posted by dcoultis
    you should join soccer, and get kicked in the face with cleats, cause its well deserving.

The kid just wanted to play some soccer, and not get dissowned by his family for bustin up there religeous beliefs, that reff shoulda gave him a break...

if i went to bc to play lacrosse, and they told me i couldnt play because of something having to do with my religeon, i'd show them why i stopped playing hockey and joined lacrosse

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Wildcat, im guessing they had their hair cut though right? It's not like you have to keep your hair and wear a turban to be sikh, but most (if not all? lol) sikhs who do keep their hair keep their head covered in public. If this was at a fifa level I could understand how something like this would happen (still wouldnt agree with it, could understand though..) but this was at a amateur level, which is why I don't even see why this was called. I'm sure many sikhs would cut their hair to play at the fifa level, however, I still think that rule should be changed...for equality at least.

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

Wildcat, im guessing they had their hair cut though right? It's not like you have to keep your hair and wear a turban to be sikh, but most (if not all? lol) sikhs who do keep their hair keep their head covered in public. If this was at a fifa level I could understand how something like this would happen (still wouldnt agree with it, could understand though..) but this was at a amateur level, which is why I don't even see why this was called. I'm sure many sikhs would cut their hair to play at the fifa level, however, I still think that rule should be changed...for equality at least.

but then its not necassarily equal, because if there aloud to wear head gear, why cant anyone else. it all goes around in a fucked up circle of equality and in-equality, there is no end to that argument, but like you said, at a small time level like this, it shouldnt be called.

My Ride
    89 colt gt 4g63

what the fuck dcoultis? Why the hell would it matter if he has his turban on, its not giving him an advantage. You're seriously an ignorant prick.
    What matters is it's the rules. We are in no position to debate the regulations or why they were originally put in place. The refs job is to follow them. The kid should have known this... and calling the ref a 'fucking asshole' and refusing to play with out it speaks wonders on his cultures/religions tolerance of others. Way to pull the race card.

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Yeah I agree with you snowboard, if you make changes for one person then other people get pissed off, then you make changes for them, and some more people get pissed off. But like you said, it's not like they're playing for millions of dollars...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast