Quantcast
Need Help Installing a Boost Guage and a Manual Boost Controller - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Need Help Installing a Boost Guage and a Manual Boost Controller

Default Need Help Installing a Boost Guage and a Manual Boost Controller

hey.
    i need help installing a boost guage and a manual boost controller.

is there anyone who can tell me how to install this.

can anyone install this for me for cheap.

My Ride
    2003 Subaru WRX Stg. 2

seems to me like this is something that should be done properly and by someone that knows exactly what they are doing. Not someone that will do a halfassed job. Thats just my opinion though, I am a true believer in you get what you pay for.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Boost gauge is easy, but you post up a lot of dumb questions about all kinds of things so I don't trust you to do it right. Maybe get a shop to do it. If you can't figure it out all this basic stuff (routing stereo wires, getting better mileage, install boost gauge, etc.) on your own, you shouldn't do it at all.

First things first, make sure you never kink the signal line. If it bends at too steep an angle, it will kink, and you will need to fix it before it will work (worst case, you will have to try and find a replacement for it).
    That being said, take your A-pillar off and I think the first gen Talons have a panel under the dash you need to take off as well. Take the stiff hollow line (For the vacuum/boost signal), start at your a-pillar, and push it down so that it pops out underneath the dash. This is the hardest part BY FAR. Don't push it through all the way yet. Mount your pillar pod and gauge in the pod, you'll need to cut a hole in the A-pillar, stick the line into the gauge just as it tells you to do (the instructions are very specific on this), and then tape the wires to the signal line with electrical tape (make sure it is as thin as possible) and pull them down through the dash as well, pull all the signal line through at this time. That is the easiest way I found to get the wires down there. Now try to find a hole in the firewall, there should be one. My buddy installed his boost gauge and didn't need to drill one. You don't need to run the wires through here, just the signal line. Push it through, find it in the engine bay. Find a vacuum line (there are tons, feel them. They are rubber, soft, and hollow. There should be one coming off the throttle body, ones off the brake booster, ones off the intake manifold, everywhere, get a post-throttle plate one if at all possible), cut it, put a T connector in there from autozone (I used 3/16"), stick the line into the T connector (it should fit inside) and use electrical tape to hold it on. This seems to work well enough for me, my car still pulled 18inHg at idle so it didn't leak. Or, you can get a 1/8" connector like it tells you to and use a really small vacuum hose to hold the signal line from the boost gauge to the T.
    That should be that. Start the car and make sure the needle works. You can drive it around at this point to make sure it is working through the whole range accurately.
    The two wires are what make it light up, one I spliced into my deck's grounding wire and the other into the cigarette power lighter. These will be different for your car, find out which ones they are on your own.