Quantcast
who works at the rigs??? - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: who works at the rigs???

My Ride
    1999 nike

ya hoo

on march 1st i get to go to either yellow knife or fort mac to work on a sonic rig.

in the mean time i get to work in there warehouse/fabshop, cleaning and preping and organizing.

thanks for all the lil bits of info guys
    I don't own a car i just rent one on my days off and send the bill to my boss. hahaha

My Ride
    2008 Ranger

Congrats. I wouldn't mind getting more information about this MWD people are speaking about. If anyone has a link to a thorough explanation of this position, requirements, pay rates, etc, i'd love to have it. I'm looking to work for a couple years, buy some toys, and go back to school and settle down into a career not related to the oil field. Please feel free to PM me this information, or email me directly at [email protected]
    Thanks!

My Ride
    Porsche 997 C2S / Toyota Tundra

I am a field supervisor for a cased hole wireline truck -- all of my work is within 100kms of red deer and I am home every night.

My Ride
    95 Talon ESi

for all those guys who do work on the rigs, or have started looking for work, can you please post a list of the companies you work for or have applied to.

maybe if you guys can highlight the smaller companies who maybe more open to hiring someone w/ little to no experience. and i have tried searching the web but most of these company websites haven't been very helpful.

My Ride
    1989 Toyota Supra Turbo

Okay, I just spent the last 2 months working on the rigs as a medic so I have some info for you

Here are a couple companies you can work for(that I recommend):

Jomax
    Nabors

I have spent a lot of time on rigs of theirs and they treat their workers great! the crews were awsome and we had a blast.

PD is one that I haven't heard many good things about.

You will always start as a roughneck so you'll be doing a lot of cleaning and shitty jobs of the like until you work your way up, starting is about $20 an hour depending on where you work and with what company.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I may be able to help yah out

Jason
    [imghttp://www.ubersupra.com/misc/logo1.gif[/img]
    Jay Ferguson
    [email protected]
    403.291.5646 local
    877.CMS.7222 toll free

My Ride
    95 Talon ESi

thanks

and by PD are you refering to Percission Drilling?

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

Originally posted by ole dsm
    ya hoo

on march 1st i get to go to either yellow knife or fort mac to work on a sonic rig.

in the mean time i get to work in there warehouse/fabshop, cleaning and preping and organizing.

thanks for all the lil bits of info guys
    Cool, props for being persistent. Let us know how it goes. Have fun livin in camp!

My Ride
    S250T, 435ZHS

Big companies are usually ok, just stay away from PD, easy to get hired but they are as crooked one can imagine.
    There are tons of companies you can apply for, here is a list of rig companies, the large portion being Alberta based.
    Drilling companies: http://www.caodc.ca/PDF/DR%20Employ-...rs%20Nov05.pdf
    Service companies: http://www.caodc.ca/PDF/SR_Employ-Contractors_Nov05.pdf

how tall and big do u have to be to work there in the rigs ?
    is 5"7 tallenough, with shoes i can maybe be 5"8 or "9

doesn't matter, little guys are good for moving around quick.
    Originally posted by KRyn
    dub_c how big are your arms?

Times are good. You can be any height and any weight. Everyone out on the rigs is green as grass which means there is tons and tons of work out there.

You'll start as a leasehand and work your way up. It can be dangerous, but working 12 hours a day at 18 dollars an hour + OT after 8 hours + compensation if you don't have a camp (extra $125/day). means you can make a good 8000 a month.

I go sit on the rigs whenever I'm not boggled down by work in the office and with a good tool push it's not all that bad.

My company uses mostly these guys:

Ensign
    Precision
    Trinidad
    Akita
    Beaver

I'm using Ensign, Pd, and Akita. Ensign crews are not as good but at this point... there is just too much demand for rigs.

So it should be no sweat to find a job on a rig.

And its not an easy life.

Connecting pipe and tripping pipe is not easy. You're working for every cent they pay you. Not to mention all the shiet you have to take when you're green as grass.

My Ride
    Porsche 997 C2S / Toyota Tundra

Originally posted by BMWTech
    Does anyone know what kind of experience you need to become a MWD Tech? I'm currently a licensed Automotive tech with extensive training in current automotive technology and would now like to apply my skills to the oil and gas industry.

Any comments would be appreciated...
    Most companies want a 2-3 tech diploma (petroleum, computer systems, electrical, instrumentation, etc) -- previous oil rig experience helps too.

My Ride
    POS

Surprised its never been mentioned yet, my buddy thats been workin on the rigs for the past year or so told me 'do not apply at PD if you value your life' then he started reffering to them as pkilling (apparently they lack/slack in the drug testing)

Is the drugs really that widespread on the rigs?

What would people working on the rigs prefer, single, double, or triple rigs?

My Ride
    92SiR, 05B5G, 89KA24

they dont drug test as often, out there is just like any high school, alot of pot, maybe some e, acid, and very rarely coke or heron

my buddy works out there in hinton, it works out to 27$/h 12 hour shifts, and he says theres times where its work, but mostly slack, he worked christmas eve, christmas and new years eve = triple time

My Ride
    92SiR, 05B5G, 89KA24

^^ the rule of thumb, dont stick your fingers where you wouldnt stick your dick, follow it and your safe

My Ride
    GMC : S15 sierra clasic (2.8), Jimmy SLT (4.3)

Originally posted by nusneak
    Surprised its never been mentioned yet, my buddy thats been workin on the rigs for the past year or so told me 'do not apply at PD if you value your life' then he started reffering to them as pkilling (apparently they lack/slack in the drug testing)

Is the drugs really that widespread on the rigs?

What would people working on the rigs prefer, single, double, or triple rigs?
    i loved working triples first time i saw one it was nuts man

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

My Ride
    YZ250

I work on the rigs....sorta, I build them. I just built a prototype rig for Nabors, and we went out a tested it on the weekend, it was quite the experience lifting pipe and then slamming it into the elevators when they're going up at full throttle. It doesn't seem that bad of a job, it's very physical but good pay and I find time flys when your warking hard. I hear drilling rigs are way better then service rigs... and the bigger the better
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    POS

Originally posted by Mazstyle
    I work on the rigs....sorta, I build them. I just built a prototype rig for Nabors, and we went out a tested it on the weekend, it was quite the experience lifting pipe and then slamming it into the elevators when they're going up at full throttle. It doesn't seem that bad of a job, it's very physical but good pay and I find time flys when your warking hard. I hear drilling rigs are way better then service rigs... and the bigger the better
    What is the difference from a dilling / service rig?

My buddy told me hes on a triple because they go on long hauls, and he has a much higher chance of working the whole year round. But if you work in alberta on a single you might only be on site for 2 days, so your busting your ass and work is up in the air a bit more... From what I've heard, I dunno but I wanna get down on a triple around august.

My Ride
    S250T, 435ZHS

Around Medicine Hat the wells are VERY shallow, less than 1500m, and the formations are fairly soft. So drilling those areas often takes less than 24 hours.
    Up North wells get very very deep so triples are used for efficiency when tripping out among other things.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast