Quantcast
Apple getting sued over Ipod Nano - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apple getting sued over Ipod Nano

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Default Apple getting sued over Ipod Nano

BEIJING, Oct. 25 -- Apple Computer faces a lawsuit that alleges the company knew the iPod nano was defective, yet decided to press on with the product release last month.

Disgruntled Consumers have filed a proposed class action lawsuit in San Jose, California, claiming that the nano scratches "excessively during normal usage".

The suit blames nano's defectiveness on the thin film of plastic resin covering it, saying earlier versions of the iPod were coated with thicker and stronger resin.

"Rather than admit the design flaw when consumers began to express widespread complaints ... Apple concealed the defect and advised class members that they would need to purchase additional equipment to prevent the screen from scratching excessively," according to the complaint.

In late September, Apple had admitted that some iPod nano screens cracked too easily, but the company blamed the defect on a particular batch from a specific vendor that, according to the company, affected less than one-tenth of 1 percent of the Nanos that had been sold at that point.

A spokesperson for Apple could not be reached for comment
    Do you understand the words that are coming out of your mouth?

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Last time I checked, scratching something is noone elses fault but the owners.

I mean if I go and stuff my Oakleys in the same pocket that has my Keys in it, and they scratch, I'm not about to call Oakley and whine that they scratched without even wearing them.

Being defective has nothing to do with scratching. If the scratches appeared by themselves while laying on a velvet pillow in the middle of a down filled room, that would be deffective, however when the damage is caused by use and abuse how can they be held liable.

Thats life with pocket sized polished electronics,

People have some pretty crazy expectations.
    Travel

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

In the States you know they will sue over anything. Well they claim the Resin used is thinner and that is why the screen scratched.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by afrotl
    In the States you know they will sue over anything. Well they claim the Resin used is thinner and that is why the screen scratched.
    Well jesus, look at the device they bought. Anyone whom thinks something like that is durable is on crack. I mean look at cell phones. They come in all shapes and sizes, and you dont see people lining up around the block whining when they scratch a cell phone, because it's life, it happens. Something that is used regularly like a cell phone or ipod has inherant risks of expedited degredation of initial finish. Stuff the nano up their asses and send them packing. Cant keep care of something, thats not their problem.

I manage to keep all my pocket sized electronics in like new conditon for years, no reason why these people cant.

You either use with diligence and take care when transporting/handling at the expense of convenience, or you just toss it wherever, carry it wherever at the expense of it's longevity.

I might sound old fashioned, but my parents taught me to take care of my stuff, and when I broke or damaged something, it's noone elses fault but my own. If you make an assumption that something can handle the abuse you're about to give it and it doesn't, who's fault is that? Welp, IPODS apparantly.
    Travel

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Seems like sueing is a past time for some people....next thing you know they are sueing the weather man cos he said it will rain but instead it drizzled...wow what is next?
    Last edited by afrotl; 10-25-2005 at 02:48 PM.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

^^ Ben does it again!

I hate it when my stuff get scratched and when it does I say ahh fuck, I shouldn't have.. blah blah

When I buy small expensive stuff I try to keep it as new as I can. You know those plastic covers that come on mobile phones/iPods/small electronics with screens? Well if any of them have that plastic film thingy, I try to keep them on as long as I can (only if they aren't massive and if they don't look noticeable). When people notice (after a long ass time) they think I'm a weirdo, but when you look at their phones, the screen is scratched up and it looks like a dog was trying to get at it.

Those covers are one way to protect you crap! And about the cracking screen? Something must have happened, they don't crack just crack like that.
    And if you're battery is crap - that IS Apple's fault!

My Ride
    04 Mini Cooper S JCW

I bought an iPod Nano and I for one can say it does scratch very easily. I've scratched mine by putting in my coat pocket (once) which is fleece lined. Right now I'm waiting for my case for the Nano because I'm afraid I'll scratch it further.

My Ride
    Infiniti

^dont give people ideas, theyll be sueing the weatherman tomorrow, youll start seein disclaimers at the beginning of every forecast

holy shit, i was refering to afro two posts up, i got slowned

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

I look at it like a digital camera LCD. I went out and bought some clear plastic stickers and put them over the screen. For $10 why don't people do the same thing for the Nano's? Its a cheap way to prevent scratches which will happen regardless of what you do.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

My iPod 4G is scratched all over, because I use it in my car....but who cares?? It still works, and I buy stuff to use it!!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I love you Ben, you need to come work with me...

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Originally posted by streetarab
    ^dont give people ideas, theyll be sueing the weatherman tomorrow, youll start seein disclaimers at the beginning of every forecast

holy shit, i was refering to afro two posts up, i got slowned
    lol well these days especially in the States you can sue for almost anything and it will not surprise me if people sued the weather man cos he said it was going to rain and it did not. So someone will sue them cos he took an umbrella to work and he tripped on it and it is the weathermans fault cos it did not rain like he stated the night before....

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by Davetronz
    I love you Ben, you need to come work with me...
    Meh, I just call it like I see it.. Society is dumb, haha.
    Travel

Why has this issue come up now? What about previous ipods? If so many people are bitching, there must be a reason for it.

There are standards developed by ASTM that measure scratch hardness. Perhaps Apple didn't follow any standard, or simply decided to overlook a substandard batch to meet delivery deadlines.

Originally posted by Ben

Meh, I just call it like I see it.. Society is dumb, haha.

I hate society...

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    Why has this issue come up now? What about previous ipods? If so many people are bitching, there must be a reason for it.

There are standards developed by ASTM that measure scratch hardness. Perhaps Apple didn't follow any standard, or simply decided to overlook a substandard batch to meet delivery deadlines.
    Exactly. Which is why Ben's generalized rant is kind of retarded. as well as all the 's

I dont think it's a case of peoplejust trying to get money from apple. Yes there is an inherent risk of owning a small electronic product that commonly gets placed in pockets and other inhospitable places but it's a different story when the company neglected to protect it. If it gets a little scratchy after a while it's a fact of life, If it gets so scrathed up that you cant see properly after a month than it's a problem.

Originally posted by szw

Exactly. Which is why Ben's generalized rant is kind of retarded. as well as all the 's

The nano looks like a skating rink even when you put massive efforts into babying it. Setting it down, on a hard surface, and picking it back up again can cause permanent scratches. In this case, there's something that's terribly wrong - especially if you've just shelled out $300 bucks for it.

Those people are suing for a good reason, it's not just a grab for money.

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Originally posted by Davetronz

I hate society...
    I hate people who say things like that. What the hell is it with the all these people who keep saying 'I HATE PEOPLE, I HATE SOCIETY, I HATE EVERYONE.' You're a part of society dude. Didn't mean to pick on you by the way, just touched a nerve because someone in my class was saying things like that to one of his friends all day, and this kids a retard. He gets awful grades and he still acts like hes smarter than everyone else!!

My Ride
    2000 323i

Gotta admit a large majority of people are stupid.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast