Quantcast
Teaching - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teaching

Default Teaching

I was wondering if anyone here was a teacher/knows of teaching salaries. I always wonered if they were decent enough to lead a pretty comfortable lifestyle, or if it was even worth getting a degree in. I really want to become a teacher, but don't know if the salary can support me (I'm a single, almost graduate, student wondering what to go into).

My Ride
    Model S

http://www.education.gov.ab.ca/news/Media/Salaries.asp

alberta teacher salaries can support graduates just fine.

Last edited by kaput; 03-13-2019 at 05:49 AM.

My Ride
    Model S

^^^average starting salary is 47k, average 11 yr salary is 80k. 11 years is quite a bit higher than where you start, so i dont think id agree with that.

no one becomes a teacher to get rich, but 80k is going to be far from "living tight". if youre single, even the starting point of 47k is just fine in this city without having to live tight. considering average income for a household with 2 people working is 72k combined, youre still above average.
    its not like youd ever be hungry or without a place to live, but no youre not going to be driving a benz.

the majority of the payment for being a teacher is not monetary. look at all the teachers you know, theyre the practical types, not very materialistic. different priorities.

getting 2 weeks off at christmas, 1 at easter, and 2 months off in the summer isnt so bad either.
    Last edited by googe; 06-08-2005 at 06:48 PM.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by googe
    the majority of the payment for being a teacher is not monetary. look at all the teachers you know, theyre the practical types, not very materialistic. different priorities.

getting 2 weeks off at christmas, 1 at easter, and 2 months off in the summer isnt so bad either.
    Yah, this is true! I became a teacher for two reasons...July and August!

But really, it starts off in the 40 K range and goes up to the 80 K range after a decade or so. It's like you said, you won't be starving, but if you're single or married with no kids yet and you have double income then you definately won't be starving.

As for why people become teachers, it's NOT for the money! haha, It's a calling really. All the good teachers that I can recall have helped me shape my life for the better. On the other hand, there have been some pretty shitty ass teachers!

For some people it's totally worth it! You will have to put in many extra hours when you first start (like coaching teams etc.) but as you go on, you become exempt from this duties and the newer teachers will have to take them over...thank goodness for seniority! haha

But really, how can you not like all major holidays off, summer vacation, winter vaction, weekends off and teacher's conventions!! Works for me!

But really, it's not for the money...I just have to emphasize that! It's for the satisfaction that you are educating the youth of tomorrow as well as establishing rapport with the students. Teaching can be really fun, but man, the stress of it can also pile up on you and make you snap. I've seen a few teachers just loose it and have to go on stress leave!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Leo, you don't get Teachers Convention off...you have to work those two days...haha
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by EK 2.0
    Leo, you don't get Teachers Convention off...you have to work those two days...haha
    What the fuck!!!!

That's it, I'm changing occupations!!!

But really, it's a cake walk...half the teachers fall asleep or leave early anyway! haha

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by LUDELVR

What the fuck!!!!

That's it, I'm changing occupations!!!

But really, it's a cake walk...half the teachers fall asleep or leave early anyway! haha
    Leo my good friend, I for one CANNOT wait until you are teaching Arif Jr.
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    78 civic

If your thinking of getting in to teaching, pick an area that is in need. Otherwise you will be a perm-a-sub kissing ass to get a job.

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/employment/teaching/employment.asp

We continue to experience a particular need for teachers of:

Career and Technology Studies French Immersion
    Automotives Mathematics
    Autobody Science
    Construction Technology Spanish and German Bilingual
    Welding Special Education
    Early and Late Literacy Montessori
    Fine and Performing Arts Online Learning
    Elementary Generalist
    Substitute Teachers
    Dance
    Aboriginal Education

Shop teachers are in high demand, this program is in Winnipeg
    (click I)
    Industrial Arts/Technology Teacher Education
    http://me.rrc.mb.ca/Catalogue/Defaul...DeliveryCode=F

Worked for me
    Last edited by 78si; 06-08-2005 at 08:29 PM.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by 78si
    If your thinking of getting in to teaching, pick an area that is in need. Otherwise you will be a perm-a-sub kissing ass to get a job.

Not only that, but be prepared to teach out of your field! haha, I've seen so many teachers teaching subjects that were not their specialities! English teachers teaching Math, Science teachers teaching PhysEd.! haha But I guess, good teachers can teach anything, just need some practice!

I would love to teach mechanics or physed even though it's not my specialty! But if they threw me into a Science class, I'd have to do a lot of catching up...prolly have to look of the student's notes! haha

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

I also heard it's really hard to get into teaching english and history because they are the two most popular subjects. Is this true?

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Leo my good friend, I for one CANNOT wait until you are teaching Arif Jr.
    Just make sure you send him to anger management classes...if he's anything like you, I may have to wear a bullet proof vest to school!

Just kidding man, we all know you're a kitty cat under that rough exterior!

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Civic

All i know is Leo taught me Grade 11 English and it was a breeze, ever when i didnt pay attention and made him want to beat the shit out of me for being annoying as hell.

But hey, i was called ot be that type of student, to help teachers like Leo learn how to deal with us. hahahah

Like i said before, He is a funny ass teacher, i mean shit, he became more popular then anyone on his first day teaching, he had a sick ride.

MY older brother is a teacher to, and he loves it, i mean shit, you get two months off a year, it is not a tough occupation either, you teach and the kids that want to learn, learn, the other kids who dont, dont. Its dealing with the annoying kids haha that really tests your patients. But then again, reading all class isnt bad, especially when you jsut sleep or listen to a mp3.

If you relate to kids, you will get through to them, that is why i think it is good some of these new teachers that are up beat and more incline to students lifes do better in the class room and tend to get through to the kids better.
    C-23-H

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by jumperman8
    All i know is Leo taught me Grade 11 English and it was a breeze, ever when i didnt pay attention and made him want to beat the shit out of me for being annoying as hell.

But hey, i was called ot be that type of student, to help teachers like Leo learn how to deal with us. hahahah

Like i said before, He is a funny ass teacher, i mean shit, he became more popular then anyone on his first day teaching, he had a sick ride.

MY older brother is a teacher to, and he loves it, i mean shit, you get two months off a year, it is not a tough occupation either, you teach and the kids that want to learn, learn, the other kids who dont, dont. Its dealing with the annoying kids haha that really tests your patients. But then again, reading all class isnt bad, especially when you jsut sleep or listen to a mp3.

If you relate to kids, you will get through to them, that is why i think it is good some of these new teachers that are up beat and more incline to students lifes do better in the class room and tend to get through to the kids better.

go back and see Mr. Diaz. Get your money back...his English classes have not worked buddy...haha...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Civic

go back and see Mr. Diaz. Get your money back...his English classes have not worked buddy...haha...
    i tried, but you can only repeat the class 5 times.

Kinda sucks

C-23-H

Last edited by kaput; 03-13-2019 at 05:48 AM.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by vanados2b
    I also heard it's really hard to get into teaching english and history because they are the two most popular subjects. Is this true?
    Yah, this is so true! Two of the most difficult subjects to get into are those two!

Also, if you want to secure a spot, if you're a male and looking to get into primary ed. then your chances are a lot better. Also, math teachers are in demand, but hell if I can do math! I can barely add the amount of money I spend on beer on the weekend!:tongue:

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Sorry man, no refunds here!!

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by jumperman8
    . But then again, reading all class isnt bad, especially when you jsut sleep or listen to a mp3.

Shit is that what you were doing...and all this time I thought you were beating off to a nudy mag! I didn't want to disturb you!!

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Civic

Originally posted by LUDELVR

Shit is that what you were doing...and all this time I thought you were beating off to a nudy mag! I didn't want to disturb you!!
    Fuck man, when you told me to try that i thought you were just bullshitting. Like you telling me that whole story about you in computer class was accually true, shit. I would of tried it then, and thanked you for not disturbing me.
    C-23-H

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast