Quantcast
93 Integra Gas efficiency problem - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 93 Integra Gas efficiency problem

My Ride
    1993 Acura Integra GS-R

Default 93 Integra Gas efficiency problem

Hello everyone,

I have a conserning question about my car gas mileage. I fill-up the car (1993 GS-R) on Oct 29th and now it has just a little over half a tank left and ONLY 177km on it! The car, of course is only 4 cylinder and it eat gas like a 8 cylinder car does. Why is that? Before I bought the car, I had it fully inspected and replaced a brand new right rear caliper because the car was parked for a long time and it ceased up over time. Since it was fixed and the car shouldnt work twice as hard to pull itself and I should be seeing some good numbers on a full tank. But I only got 170km so far on 3/4 a tank!!?? Does anyone know of any other problem other than this and any suggestion I should take to safely check my car to find the problem? My old car kicks out at least 500km on a full tank of gas and it's a 1.8liter compare to 1.7liter now, but that is no difference. It should'nt be eating this much amount of gas for a 4 cylinder. Any tips or advice would greatly appreciated, thanks.

silva

P.S
    Could a Vtec engine affect it? I think not.

My Ride
    1979 Trans Am, 93 civic si

probably a sensor.

My Ride
    98 V70 T5M

Even with my foot in my B20VTEC, I'd get 300+ KM out of my teg. How's the car running? I'd look in to a tune up.....if you haven't changed the usual stuff out. Did you just start getting shitty fuel economy? Is the check engine light on? I'm just concerned that something's not working properly.

My Ride
    1993 Acura Integra GS-R

everything is good on the car. It runs great and there is no leaks or anything. I am planning to check on the calipers to see if it is still holding on to the rotors because that would decrease fuel greatly if your car were to work twice as hard to pull itself.

My Ride
    1993 Acura Integra GS-R

It could also be a problem if I mainly drive uphills because my work and home is uphill. Could that be a problem too? I checked my tire pressure always and kept it at 38psi(29psi is required) for maximum gas mileage. Also I have notice and I hope there aint a small hole eating slowly eating away at my exhuast system because it's pretty noisy right under the driver side. I don't know untill I really get under there.

My Ride
    1993 Acura Integra GS-R

The fuel economy happen ever since I purchase the car a few months ago. The engine lights are not on.

Going thru that much gas you'd see it on the ground or smell it you'd think... Def not right, even when my civic ran on 3 cylinders I could get 350-400~ given er'... Get a quick check at a mechanic..

My Ride
    1993 Acura Integra GS-R

yeah...I don't even see any visible trace of gas on the driveway let alone smell burning gas but it still does have a little over quarter of a tank left and untill that is empty then I could make my decision to take it to the mechanic or not. This just ain't right for a 4cylinder engine.

My Ride
    TSX

sounds like you just need a tune-up to me.
    when i first got my civic, i was getting horrible mileage(around 325km/tank). then i changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve, distributor cap and rotor and oil change. now i'm getting up to almost 500km/tank.

My Ride
    1993 Acura Integra GS-R

Hmm... you can be right Speed_69. I'm going to check the spark plugs and everything else. I was under an assumption that my current car has a tune-up but that was on my old car which I only purchase the best parts for it. Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated

P.S

Prison Break is on at 9 if anyone is into that show

My Ride
    335i

Time for new spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, o2 sensor, and spark plug wires. You should also replace your fuel and air filter, and change your oil to synthetic.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can do this all yourself. It should only take a few hours to do.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    1993 Acura Integra GS-R

Haha sounds like fun and I do want to do it myself but I only know how to change the spark plugs, distributor cap, air filter and the remaining I have no clue. Know any sites I could learn to do that? And yes my car runs on synthetic.

My Ride
    FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY > ALL

so how much do you get with a full tank, my civic only gets 350. its a 1.5L 4 banger

My Ride
    98 V70 T5M

Originally posted by silva27
    Haha sounds like fun and I do want to do it myself but I only know how to change the spark plugs, distributor cap, air filter and the remaining I have no clue. Know any sites I could learn to do that? And yes my car runs on synthetic.
    The O2 sensor is on the exhuast just before it goes in to the cat. It's just threaded it, then follow the wire up to the connector...and swap it out...very easy.

The fuel filter on a G2 is on the firewall, closer to the passenger side. You'll likely have to remove the intake pipe to get at it...but if you're already replacing the air filter, then it's no big deal.

Pick yourself up a Hayne's manual for $10, and check out G2IC.com for more specific stuff.

You can see the fuel filter in this pic. It's right below the alarm siren...you can see two hard lines going in to it, and there's a red coolant line curled up in front of it. It's black on black...so it doesn't stand out too well, but you get the idea:

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

I'd say it's the usual culprits like everyone says - air filter, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and most importantly 02 sensor. Go with these easy fixes then you can go ahead change the fuel filter, clean and balance the injectors, etc...

My Ride
    1993 Acura Integra GS-R

Sweet thanks

My Ride
    MK7 Oryx White R, 79 Austin Mini Cooper

i had the same problem....what you need to do for sure is what speed_69 suggested....i got my timing check and my valves adjusted, changed cap and rotor and sprayed some intake medic into my manifold.....now i get 450-470 on a b20....the o2 sensor could also be the problem....and it doesnt have to throw the CEL to be faulty....so check it...

My Ride
    1993 Acura Integra GS-R

Do you guys think it could be the catalytic convertor which might be clogged because the o2 sensor is either giving too much gas or too little? Also I was wondering, since changing the exhuast system, meant taking out the catalytic convertor which is a major horsepower eater, so basically I dont have an covertor but just a streight pipe?