Quantcast
CBS, NBC to offer TV shows for 99 cents - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: CBS, NBC to offer TV shows for 99 cents

My Ride
    All white 2003 Nikes

Default CBS, NBC to offer TV shows for 99 cents

CBS, NBC to offer TV shows for 99 cents
    NOV. 8 7:04 A.M. ET CBS and NBC have announced deals to offer replays of prime-time programs for 99 cents per episode, shifting television toward a sales model that gained popularity with downloaded music.
    NBC, CBS to offer shows for 99 cents
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - NBC and CBS unveiled separate plans to make some of their prime-time shows available for viewers to watch at their leisure -- without commercials -- for 99 cents an episode, throwing open the door to "on-demand" television
    Black men walkin' wit' white girls on they arms
    I be mad at 'em, as if I know they moms
    told t' go beyond tha surface a person's a person
    when we, lessen our women, our condition seem t' worsen
    Common - Real People

George Bush does not care about black people - Kanye West

My Ride
    Sentra

pretty cool, 99 cents is pretty cheap

My Ride
    Acura TL 6MT SH-AWD

If it means cutting out the Cable companies, and the CRTC. I am all for it.

Besides Flames hockey, I maybe watch 5 hours of TV a week anyways.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I think it'll bomb.

1st, it's free TV

2nd, fans would get DVD at the end of season anyway

3rd, all those shows are repeated on the network at least once during the season and many times on other cable network after. A little investment on PVR will make sure you don't miss a thing, for free.

4th, songs replayability is much better than TV shows.

But then again, i'm not the kind of person shell out $5 for a ringtone either . May be there's a market.

My Ride
    2000 323i

yeah, tons of morons out there who need their fix of dumb reality shows. Unfortunately it might catch on.
    Mike

My Ride
    V8 Toy

It won't work if eveyone downloads the episodes that they missed/want to watch.
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I think it'll bomb.

1st, it's free TV

2nd, fans would get DVD at the end of season anyway

3rd, all those shows are repeated on the network at least once during the season and many times on other cable network after. A little investment on PVR will make sure you don't miss a thing, for free.

4th, songs replayability is much better than TV shows.

But then again, i'm not the kind of person shell out $5 for a ringtone either . May be there's a market.
    a pvr is a lot more than 99 cents. i myself would much rather pick my shows a la carte. makes way more sense.

not sure what your free tv comment means. its 99 cents, not free, and even if it was, how is free bad?

My Ride
    Bicycle

^ what I meant is why I'm paying 99c for programs that are free on air, free to watch.

PVR isn't 99c but this download service is available to people who subsribe to provider's DVR service already:

CBS is teaming up with Comcast Corp. and NBC with satellite operator DirecTV to offer the on-demand replays.

NBC Universal will offer commercial-free episodes of "Law & Order: SVU" and other shows to subscribers of DirecTV Group Inc. who use the satellite company's new digital video recorder.
    So basically, I'm paying 99c for something I forgot to program in the DVR? How big of a market is that?

Now if I pay 99c to have it download to my PC I can understand. Because that's a feature I don't already have/paid for.

My Ride
    Civic SI / Ducati Monster

I cant see a huge market for this..

Technically inclined people are already catching up on thier missed episodes via torrent sites, and non-technically inclined people get there grandchildren to set the vcr to record it....

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

i wouldnt mind it, it would be cool to see the first episode of simpsons, or the final mash etc

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Xtrema
    ^ what I meant is why I'm paying 99c for programs that are free on air, free to watch.

PVR isn't 99c but this download service is available to people who subsribe to provider's DVR service already:

So basically, I'm paying 99c for something I forgot to program in the DVR? How big of a market is that?

Now if I pay 99c to have it download to my PC I can understand. Because that's a feature I don't already have/paid for.
    I think googe is trying to say it's not technically free because you're still paying the cable/satellite company a monthly fee.

Extrema's point is that this allows people to choose the specific shows/episodes they want and pay just for those, especially if they don't watch that much TV anyways.

I think it's an interesting idea. I think it has a good chance of succeeding simply because on-demand is growing in popularity. We see it with on demand movies right now.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

From what I read of the article, you guys (some of you) are not understanding it correctly. You still have to pay the montly fees, plus purchase a receiver unit.

So its not like you can not have a monthly service or any type of PVR, then just order 1 show a week for a buck.

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

you have to pay 99c on top of your sat bill... it will only be aviable to direct tv and comcast cust.

I dont pay for cable, and probally wont for awhile, i rather d/l the shows i watch, a few hours after, and watch it when i have time
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

Originally posted by Kirbs17
    i wouldnt mind it, it would be cool to see the first episode of simpsons, or the final mash etc

I would love to watch Seinfeld and old ST:TNG episodes on demand without waiting for the 7-8 year rotation time, Sure It is on about 123488379 networks in sydication but your paying for convienience.