Quantcast
Comparing phones - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Comparing phones

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Default Comparing phones

I am going to switch service providers, going to Rogers, because they are matching a seriously sweet plan, and I like their choice of phones.
    I have it down to 2 phones.
    The motorola ROKR, and the motorola V635i
    I like that they're both MP3 players, and have built-in cameras, but the V635i is 1.23mp, compared to the ROKR's 0.3mp
    Also, they seem to leave out whether the ROKR comes with the trans-flash card, yet state that the V635i does. I'd imagine that they are in the neighborhood of $50 without checking.
    Cost of the ROKR is $99, V635i is $199, but has bluetooth functionality for neat headsets and other related stuff. So value-wise they are pretty equal from what I know so far.
    Anyhoo, what I'm wondering is, who here has either of the phones, and is there anything you really like/dislike about it(them)?

I am also curious, the people at rogers were clueless about this, but do I NEED to use itunes to put songs on the ROKR? And if so, can I put any of my MP3's on it, or do they have to be something special (never used itunes)??

Any help is appreciated.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

the ROKR phone does use transflash memory cards.

i have the v635 myself. its a good phone and i've been happy with it. this phone has better features than the RAZR. I'm not really impressed with the ROKR so much because I think its an ugly phone and if i wanted to listen to music I'd use an Ipod or something instead of the ROKR phone.

as for your question about the itunes and such for the ROKR.. i think it should come with software that can be installed on your computer to transfer mp3 files onto the phone, and yes..you should be able to put mp3 files onto it??
    Last edited by al-ti2d; 12-06-2005 at 11:24 PM.
    Originally posted by 5000Audi
    Btw never paid for a massage before.. i own, i mean have a wife

My Ride
    335i

The ROKR strikes me as a pretty childish phone. The V635 can do much, much more and is worth the extra dollars.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Bicycle

ROKR is good concept but bad execution. Because apple wants the monopol to themselves and won't let Motorola do much to it to make it a real ipod.

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

I've heard more complaints about the ROKR than compliments.
    V635i it.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Alright!
    Thanks for the advice.
    I think I'm going with the V635i.
    I rather suspect that the ROKR does _not_ come with the transflash card, as nobody mentions whether it does or not, yet on every other transflash card capable phone, they make a note of saying it includes a 512mb transflash card. All they say is that it has 512mb of external memory, and that it takes transflash cards. I asked the people at rogers, and they told me if I'll buy one, they will open it and check. No thanks guys, I can do that.

Anyhoo, I'd rather have a flip-phone, +1 for V635i, I would rather have higher than VGA resolution on my camera, +2 for V635i, I don't want to spend the extra for the transflash card, +3 for V635i, bluetooth is a big plus, +4 for V635i, I hate itunes, +1000 for V635i
    I think it's settled. The way I see it, that stupid transflash card is ~$75. So really the V635i is only $25 more, which can be easily justified by the better camera, and bluetooth capability.

Plus, you guys say the ROKR is geared for younger kids, so that's pretty much a guarantee that I'll hate it. I had this one motorola on loan from Bell while my piece-of-crap was being fixed, I suspect this one was also geared for younger kids by all the bright coloring and ugly shit on it. I tried to text somebody with it, but it wouldn't let me just enter all of the letters, and most of the words I wanted to enter weren't in it (it was stuck in that stupid T9 mode), not to mention the phone book in it just sucked, etc.
    I think it's settled, thanks guys.
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Damn, I thought I had it all figured out, then I got stupid and checked Bell's web page...
    The Motorola E815 looks like their version of the V635. Seems to be almost identical, except standby and talk times are lower (probably due to using a different protocol?), it doesn't include the transflash card, and it has 40mb of internal memory as to the V635's 5mb.

Decisions decisions...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Bell's CDMA which mean no SIM card. Make switching phone a hassle.

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

Doesn't look as good imo. At least the antenna on the E815 anyways...

i have the E815 and i love it...it also uses transflash. its pretty much an updated phone to telus' V710.

motorola gsm phones in general, in my opinion, seem to be quite average... i've had a t720, v600 and razr.. my s710a is a better phone overall..

just my .02
    "I think 90% of motorcycle racing is between the ears." -Kevin Schwantz

My Ride
    335i

Your S710a is far newer than those phones. Look for the new generation of Motorola phones that all come with features that are much nicer than the new SE's or Nokias IMO.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

The V635 is a great phone... I upgraded from a V600 to the V635 and nothing that I dont really like yet. The battery I find doesnt last that long (about 3-4 days with bluetooth off, 2 days with bluetooth on) tho.

My Ride
    12 TL

I also have the s710a, but it's pretty crappy considering the s700a has radio and this has the worthless imo edge. the ROKR seems like bs to me, the v635i will probably satisfy you more with less complaints, also our s710a has pretty bad memory cosidering our max is probably 128mb with the memory stick duo. (not pro)