Quantcast
i need help tuning my tec3, please look if you have general tuning knowledge - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: i need help tuning my tec3, please look if you have general tuning knowledge

My Ride
    SRT

Post i need help tuning my tec3, please look if you have general tuning knowledge

guys i've been squeezing my brain trying to get this thing to run completely on my own. i've dragged this over a loong long time, partly coz i did a lot of reconfiguring on the car (complete strip) and i've been busy with other projects. but now absolutely everything else is done and i still cant get it to start properly. here's the low down:

-96 neon, 9.2 compression, high flow head and bigger cam, #36 injectors (i know they're small but this is to get things going), 60mm tb, 20g-h turbo with no boost piping, 3" dp bolted only in one spot and ziptied on the other holes because it'll need slight modifications once the engine is running somewhat... so there is a little blowby but nothing too big. wideband is installed really close to the top of the dp so it should get a fairly clear reading
    -tec3r w/coils controlling everything>> fp is good, coils are firing, injectors are squirting. all the wiring is done, all the relays are working, the tec is controlling the fuel pump fine and stock regulator is defeated

i've been playing around with teh injector pulse width and somewhat with the ignition advance but brealisticly this is more or less just hit or miss as i am nowhere close to fully understanding this. seems that the car needs a bit more fuel right now as it sputters and sputters and the more fuel i give it the more it almost gets going. now sometimes the car starts in a big surge and the rpms shoot up but when i let go of the ignition buton (removed stock ignition relay and key start and replaced with a switch and relay) the car will slow down and stop withing the next second or two. if i try again after it sorta goes back to struggling to start again... this has happened quite a few times over the last couple months but i can never make it do it twice.

if anyone has any tuning experience please take a look at my .bin file or just give me some suggestions on what to do with these surges i get. please help a brudder out

http://members.shaw.ca/dumitrec/3BAR4CYL2.BIN
    Last edited by riceeater; 01-02-2006 at 10:31 PM.

My Ride
    SRT

Fuji is offline Track Events Co-ordinator
    My Ride
    cars

try your vaccum setting at idle... sounds like it's too low?

My Ride
    greenwheels.nl

ummm shoudlnt your wide band be installed as far away from the turbo as possible?

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

i have never used an electromotive system but i have a couple questions (rage2 tuned a tec3 from scratch last year also fyi)

-have you first gone thru all the settings or have you just loaded a base bin and tried to start it?

-what do you have to do to sync your cam and crank triggers in the software? also, are they magnetic or hall hardware? correct software settings for your hardware?

-make sure you have your idle air control valve disconected

-are you using 2 coils in wasted spark or coil per plug?

-have you double/triple checked your coil wiring?

-have you double/triple checked your plug wiring for your specific firing order?

-try a lower injector pulse width for start/idle
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by legendboy
    i have never used an electromotive system but i have a couple questions (rage2 tuned a tec3 from scratch last year also fyi)

-have you first gone thru all the settings or have you just loaded a base bin and tried to start it?

-what do you have to do to sync your cam and crank triggers in the software? also, are they magnetic or hall hardware? correct software settings for your hardware?

-make sure you have your idle air control valve disconected

-are you using 2 coils in wasted spark or coil per plug?

-have you double/triple checked your coil wiring?

-have you double/triple checked your plug wiring for your specific firing order?

-try a lower injector pulse width for start/idle
    -i went through all the settings and set up all the parameters
    -the tec uses a trigger wheel and no cam reference unless you're using staged injectors. settings should be ok though i am slightly off TDC where the trigger mounts on the pulley (will adjust more to make perfect but there is maybe half a tooth worth so 1.5degrees off max
    -it does seem to have more life when the IAC control is off but even like that that's not enough...
    -using 2 coils for 4 plugs and wiring is ok. i will regap the sparkplugs. when i pull hte wires out they have healthy sparks
    -i've been only increasing the pulse but i guess i'll go the other way too. i can smell the gas in the exhaust but it's not THAT pungent

-anything else would be apreciated

PS: i dont care that the wideband is close to the turbo and that'll shorten it's life...i'd rather get fast accurate readings. if its an issue i can change that down the road
    Last edited by riceeater; 01-03-2006 at 09:47 PM.