Quantcast
tap Tap Tap - Poor old audi - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: tap Tap Tap - Poor old audi

My Ride
    Touareg

Question tap Tap Tap - Poor old audi

Hey group, If anyone was following my posts or if anyone cares. I have decided to stick it out with the 4000s. However I was wondering if anyone out there knows how I can fix the taping that is coming from my engine - I guess its the cam slapping agaist the lifter. I'm sure other Audi's out there have had this problem. How did you guys fix it ?

Hopefully yoru cam is slappping around, that wouldn't be good.

Most likely it is your lifters/rockers slaipping around against the valves or on the cams. A simple Valve adustment would be the first thing I would look into.

Most of the time it is as easy as jus ttake off the valve cover and find the spec at which your valves shoudl be set, then get a feeler guage and tighten them up to the proper specs. The best way if its your first time is to find an online How-To for your car and do it properly. Too tight will grind your cam away, too loose you won't fix the problem and will end up with broke rocker arms like I did.

My Ride
    Wristshots

My Audi has the same problem actually. If you have any mechanical knowledge, we could put our heads together and figure out the problem.

If you want to find out but don't want to adjust anything yet, get a stehascope(sp) *the thing the doctor uses to listne ot ur heart*, and move it around the valve cover or take the valve cover off and move it around, that way u can pinpoint the exact location of where the noise is comign from and get it pinned down from their.

if it's anything like vw motors it's a bucket and shim design. you need to messure the gap look at a chart that will tell you which shim or puck you need then you just replace it. i hear you need special tools to remove and replace them.

My Ride
    bmw

another possibility is it could be a sticking lifter, i've heard many engines with tapping lifters, usually from lack of maintenance. I would try running a good engine flush through first. Not some crappy tire bottle of crap though, something good. Usually you will have to let it run for a half hour or so to free the lifter. worth a try first..

My Ride
    Touareg

Thanks for the advice. However I dont know if an adjustment can be made to the lifter ( maybe I'm calling it the wrong part) I think they are hydrolic??? so my mechanic said that its not a big deal and I shouldnt worry about it. so I haven't really worried horribly. I would like to get rid of the noise I know in my own view, this noise can lead to future problems.

I'll explain the head for you guys so you might be able to tell me if they lifter are adjustable.

When I pull the valve cover off I see the camshaft. and just below each lobe of the cam shaft is a round silver "thing" that the lobs of the shaft press down on to open the valves .. so I cant see a way to ajust them.

Anyideas?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Honestly your best bet is to search Audiworld... you will find people with the same car, and most likely similiar problems.

Link to Audiworld

My Ride
    AI Servo

does the tapping get better after you change your oil? on my 86 4KQ when the tapping gets louder, it's a signal for me to change the oil.

My Ride
    Touareg

The taping noise seems to be constant no matet what the oil conditition is. It is worse when its cold and as the engine warms up it seems to quite down.

My Ride
    Audi's

Often this will help

Vacuum Pump Rod Removal

What oil filters are you 4k/4kq/CGT owners using? Never use Fram, it can't handle the Audi's oil pressure needs. Go w/ Bosch, Mann or Mahle.
    Also, make sure you use 10w30 or 10w40 in winter & 20w50 in summer.
    Last edited by - GT Style -; 02-22-2006 at 02:08 AM.

My Ride
    O.P.P.

It's worn out hydraulic lifters that make the tapping noise (no adjustment), and will go away if using thicker oil/after recent oil change. The only real fix is to have them replaced.

My Ride
    Audi's

Originally posted by cocoabrova
    It's worn out hydraulic lifters that make the tapping noise (no adjustment), and will go away if using thicker oil/after recent oil change. The only real fix is to have them replaced.
    Often, but the vacuum pump wears faster so it's usually a huge part of the clacking noise. I've done it too many type 85's and that fixed their noise.