Quantcast
First a 9/11 convict is released and now this.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: First a 9/11 convict is released and now this..

Default First a 9/11 convict is released and now this..

Not even a month back in Germany the first individual to be convicted in connection of 9/11 was released, and now this...to me the war on terror hasn't been productive at all.

U.S. settles with Sept. 11 detainee for $300,000, lawyer says
    ELIZABETH LESURE

Associated Press

New York — The U.S. government has agreed to pay $300,000 (U.S.) to an Egyptian man who was detained for nearly a year following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks but was never linked to terrorism, his lawyer said.
    The settlement was filed in Brooklyn federal court on Monday, said lawyer Haeyoung Yoon, who represents Ehab Elmaghraby. She said she believed it was the first settlement involving the claims of people detained after Sept. 11.

Mr. Elmaghraby, a former restaurant worker, was held at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn from Oct. 1, 2001, until August, 2002, Ms. Yoon said.

He was not charged with any crime connected to terrorism but pleaded guilty to credit card fraud and was deported in August, 2003. He now says he's innocent of the credit card fraud, Ms. Yoon said.

In a lawsuit filed in August, 2004, Mr. Elmaghraby and a Pakistani man, Javaid Iqbal, claimed their rights were violated in U.S. custody and sought compensatory damages. They also argued that the government wouldn't let them appeal their solitary confinement in a special unit of the detention centre.

Their lawsuit named former U.S. attorney-general John Ashcroft and dozens of other federal officials.

Mr. Elmaghraby said he was shackled, shoved into walls, punched and called a terrorist at the facility. Ms. Yoon said he was subjected to repetitive strip searches and a correction officer penetrated his anal cavity with a flashlight.

While in custody, Mr. Elmaghraby's thyroid condition was misdiagnosed as asthma, worsening it, Ms. Yoon said. He wanted to continue with the lawsuit but settled because of his mounting medical costs, she said.

Voice mail boxes for the U.S. Department of Justice were full Monday night and couldn't accept messages from the Associated Press seeking comment on the settlement, in which the government did not admit wrongdoing.

“Despite the fact that the U.S. admitted no wrongdoing,” Ms. Yoon said, “they are compensating Mr. Elmaghraby for the injuries he suffered.”

The Metropolitan Detention Center was cited for brutal treatment of detainees in a 2003 report by the Department of Justice's inspector-general.

The settlement, first reported by The New York Times on its website late Monday, must be approved by a federal judge. Mr. Iqbal's case against the government continues.

A federal judge in September, 2005, rejected a claim by Mr. Ashcroft that the lawsuit should be dismissed partly because the threat of foreign terrorism exempts the government from following rules made in peacetime.

Mr. Ashcroft said in a response to the lawsuit that the threat of terrorist attacks meant the government should not have been required to follow regulations allowing inmates to appeal assignment to the special unit.

More than 80 men were classified as suspected terrorists and were jailed in high-security cells at the Brooklyn facility between Sept. 14, 2001, and Aug. 27, 2002.

A separate class action lawsuit was filed in federal court in Brooklyn in 2002 on behalf of hundreds of detainees in Brooklyn and New Jersey.

In that lawsuit, the Center for Constitutional Rights charged that Mr. Ashcroft and other officials subjected prisoners to excessively harsh conditions though they had not been charged with crimes.

Well if you're going to detain someone for a year, try charging them for something.

I don't see anything weird about the lawsuit, other than the Egyptian dude being a self-proclaimed criminal (plead guilty to fraud and then says he's innocent...WTF?).
    Originally posted by maZda3
    so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

My Ride
    Acura TL 6MT SH-AWD

Absolutely. Charge him, or let him go.

There are thousands of people world wide in either military, or CIA prisons who have never been charged.

No worse than how we treated asians in WW2. Disgraceful.

My Ride
    335i

What's the problem with that? A man lost a year of his life and held without charge. $300k is well deserved.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    '99.5 2.0L Jetta What I ride: '05 Kona Stuff

I guess if they couldn't connect him and prove him guilty of the 9/11 attacks then they have to bite the bullet on this one... especially if he had those health problems while being detained.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

If I got fucked in the ass with a flashlight, I would be sueing for WAAAAAY more than 300K

My Ride
    2000 Prelude

^ haha,

sounds fair to me

My Ride
    2006 Civic, Lifted Locked flat black Jeep YJ

Yea i agree, his lawsuit was called for. In fact, he shouldve gotten more than 300k.

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

It's good that he is compensated, but did anything happen to the people who were responsible for this treatment?

flashlight in the ass?, that sux...
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

what the hell, is that correctional officer gay?
    I'm gonna stick a flashlight up your ass to take a look!

some people in the army are just dumbasses with a rank doing whatever the hell they want

and this is soooooo messed up, I am speechless ----- WTF -- a flashlight up the ass .......... Yeah must of been "gay" or gets off on hurting people -----

They should of NEVER held them, if they was not being charged for a crime ------ Just totally f'd up ------

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Ridiculous.

At the same time too that type of treatment is going on on a daily basis in Cuba and I'm sure there's quite a few people being detained there that aren't terrorists.

Bush is a whack job and he's never going to realize that you can NEVER win a war on terrorism.