Quantcast
Problem w/ Petro Can Gas - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem w/ Petro Can Gas

Default Problem w/ Petro Can Gas

I have a 05 WRX with Cobb Stage 2. I have been running ESSO gas 99% of the time and once with Shell and 711. No problem with those three and car ran great.

But tonight I filled with Petro Can (ESSO or Shell was too far). Put in $20 worth. Drove for like 20 secs, the car "jerked", then again 20 secs later, then again 20 secs later. It almost seemed like it was misfiring, but no engine light. I wasn't going fast and I wasn't on boost.

My car just roll over the 20000 KM mark. Had to Cobb tune for over 10000 KM. Never had a problem until tonight.

Anyone had that problem?

I'm going back out tonight and will see what happen.

My Ride
    Model S

do you know what knocking sounds like? if not, listen for what sounds like BBs firing in a coffee can, a pinging sound. if you hear that, youll want to pour some toluene in or something.

kind of weird if you werent on boost, it could be running too rich actually. maybe the cobb unit is dumping too much fuel early?

Maybe use the Stage 1 or stock real-time map until you can empty the tank and put in the ESSO again.

What octane did you put in and was your tank right empty when you fueled at Petro?

My Ride
    impreza

what octane and what rpm did this happen at?

My Ride
    Mom-van

Someone told me that Petro's winter gas fucks with the octane %age ... so you pay for premium but you're not really getting it cuz of the shit they put in?
    ~*Leah*~

I've never filled with Petro. Always Esso or Husky then Shell.

I didn't hear any knock...

Anyway I just came back after a 30 min. drive, and it seems normal now. But I didn't go on boost much due to the road condition.

I filled with 91 oct and RPM range probably between 2 - 3k when it happened...3 times total. At first, I thought it was me, but not 3 times in a roll.

It wasn't empty...gas light was not on yet.

I don't know, its just weird that it happened right after Petro Can fill.

My Ride
    impreza

Hmmm after doing some research I am now thinking about switching off Petro Canada gasoline.... I have used it in my car for 6 months with no problems, but it seems they have the crappiest premium gas out there.

Probably that crappy Wintergas additive that PetroCan puts in their gas.

http://www.petrocan.com/eng/prodserv/fuels/10537.htm

hehehe i always use esso!

^ Yep, I always use ESSO too, and use my ESSO points for the car-wash.

My Ride
    06 Avalon

husky isnt too bad.. their 94 octane is

I always use Oct 94
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    '05 Acura TL

petro gas is

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

All gas is the exact same, out of the exact same refinery. The additives are different, but they don't make octane go away. It is possible your cars sensors are fooled by the additive, but come summertime its all the same shit.

Originally posted by bspot

All gas is the exact same, out of the exact same refinery. The additives are different, but they don't make octane go away. It is possible your cars sensors are fooled by the additive, but come summertime its all the same shit.
    Yes and no. If you put in more long chained molocules (ie, "gas line antifreeze") that don`t help with fuel economy or power production , they are taking up volume in the litre of fuel that would have other wise been a hydrocarbon (less products that actually give you power and economy).

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Default Re: Problem w/ Petro Can Gas

Originally posted by trdjce10
    I have a 05 WRX with Cobb Stage 2. I have been running ESSO gas 99% of the time and once with Shell and 711. No problem with those three and car ran great.

But tonight I filled with Petro Can (ESSO or Shell was too far). Put in $20 worth. Drove for like 20 secs, the car "jerked", then again 20 secs later, then again 20 secs later. It almost seemed like it was misfiring, but no engine light. I wasn't going fast and I wasn't on boost.

My car just roll over the 20000 KM mark. Had to Cobb tune for over 10000 KM. Never had a problem until tonight.

Anyone had that problem?

I'm going back out tonight and will see what happen.
    what you felt was your ECU seeking the Knock point.
    Esso gasoline has a Higher BTU concentration, compared to the ethanol Blended Petro Canada gasoline, wich means that the Esso gas will give you more miles per smile but will do so at the cost of having a lower tollerance to knock, Petro canda gas on th other hand has lower BTU per volume and because of the methonal content is more resistent to knock even when its rated at 91 you can also say that Due to the additives in the petro Canada gas you usually get a higher octane rating than 91, hence you ecu notices right away that there is no knock where there used to be when you were on the esso gasoline, so it's trying to relearn the fuel curve for the higher octane gas.

when you go from Petro gas to Esso gas the same thing will happen, and its even more amplified when you go from Esso gas to Husky 94, believe it or not but the best gas I have ever run through my car is a mix of 20L esso 91 and 20L Husky 94, that combo has given me the best fuel economy and best bang for the buck. short of VP 103

Subaru ECUs' are super responsive and hella intelligent but the short wind of it all is that, your ecu is just recalibrating for the new fuel.

But boost cut and a full timing retard will happen in these colder days when you are running a Cat-less exhaust and some sort of piggy back EM due to the inefficient Turbo waste port design
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 03-01-2006 at 11:44 AM.

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Default Re: Re: Problem w/ Petro Can Gas

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

what you felt was your ECU seeking the Knock point.
    Esso gasoline has a Higher BTU concentration, compared to the ethanol Blended Petro Canada gasoline, Due to the additives in the petro Canada gas you usually get a higher octane rating than 91, hence you ecu notices right away that there is no knock where there used to be when you were on the esso gasoline, so it's trying to relearn the fuel curve for the higher octane gas.

when you go from Petro gas to Esso gas the same thing will happen, and its even more amplified when you go from Esso gas to Husky 94, believe it or not but the best gas I have ever run through my car is a mix of 20L esso 91 and 20L Husky 94, that combo has given me the best fuel economy and best bang for the buck. short of VP 103

Subaru ECUs' are super responsive and hella intelligent but the short wind of it all is that, your ecu is just recalibrating for the new fuel.

But boost cut and a full timing retard will happen in these colder days when you are running a Cat-less exhaust and some sort of piggy back EM due to the in efficient Turbo waste port design

RickDaTuner:

Thanks for the great info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast