Quantcast
How crucial would you say it is, having a dedicated video card for graphic programs? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How crucial would you say it is, having a dedicated video card for graphic programs?

My Ride
    2005 Nissan Pathfinder

Default How crucial would you say it is, having a dedicated video card for graphic programs?

Photoshop, illustrator, Flash, etc. Not much 3D work though, but yes video editing. Is it a must have? And how will you notice improvements with a GPU vs onboard? Smoother and not choppy? Outside of heavy graphic apps and games, will you notice any benefit with a dedicated GPU vs onboard, performance and speed wise?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Re: How crucial would you say it is, having a dedicated video card for graphic progra

Originally posted by EZTop
    Photoshop, illustrator, Flash, etc. Not much 3D work though, but yes video editing. Is it a must have? And how will you notice improvements with a GPU vs onboard? Smoother and not choppy? Outside of heavy graphic apps and games, will you notice any benefit with a dedicated GPU vs onboard, performance and speed wise?
    So sort of hardware encoder will definitely speed up the process rather than relying on the CPU.

Most consumer video card are aimmed at gaming and 3D. You probably want to check out what professional uses. Of course, if you don't mind waiting, onboard would be fine.

My Ride
    2005 Nissan Pathfinder

Default Re: Re: How crucial would you say it is, having a dedicated video card for graphic pr

Originally posted by Xtrema

So sort of hardware encoder will definitely speed up the process rather than relying on the CPU.

Most consumer video card are aimmed at gaming and 3D. You probably want to check out what professional uses. Of course, if you don't mind waiting, onboard would be fine.
    But how about outside of these apps and just in windows. Will a system with a good video card like say the ATI X700 run faster/smoother than one wih same specs but onboard?

My Ride
    Model S

those apps dont even use the video card for processing. it wont make any difference. only things that use directx and opengl like games will do anything with the vid card.

My Ride
    07 Avalanche LTZ

^^ yup.