Quantcast
Should organ donation be mandatory? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should organ donation be mandatory?

My Ride
    Civic dx

Default Should organ donation be mandatory?

I have to write a paper on this and I cant choose a side. Here are a couple views of professionals.
    (Religious objections exempt people)

Yes it should...

-Last year alone, 147 Canadians died while waiting for organs that never came because suitable donors were not found in time.

-We have mandatory vaccine policies. We have mandatory ages set for driving and for the purchase of alcohol. We have mandatory quarantines for certain illnesses. All those mandates were created to serve the greater good beyond selfish individual interests

No it shouldnt....

- Solving the problem lies lies in education, stressing the importance of organ donations to help save lives.

- Your body is one thing YOU really own

- The government would basically own your body

so what do you think??

Once you are dead though, you don't really own anything anymore though, do you?

The government sort of 'owns' your body once you die anyways under the Fatality Inquires Act. Anytime there is a death that the Medical Examiner wishes to investigate - and this can be any death, although there are some that require a mandatory investigation, the M.E. has the right to take possession of the body and enter any place (without a warrant) to do so.

I say 'own' in quotes because technically a human body cannot be owned at all; it is deemed to have no real value and cannot be traded, sold or stolen. The only section that pertains to these acts are 'offering an indignity to human remains' or failing in a duty to bury or dispose of remains.

What does this have to do with organ donation? Nothing really, but it is a counter to the 'government will own my body' argument.

In terms of organ donation, Ontario (I think) is looking at a reverse presumption law on donation, stating that unless evidence or specific request to the contrary, it will be deemed that the deceased is OK with the transplantation of their tissues and organs. It is a kind of middle ground between the two.
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

no, your body, your choice.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Econo-box

Alive - NO
    Dead - Why not? your dead, you might be able to save someone and not even know the difference. Rats prefer the liver though, they might know somethings up when all their delicous body-filter is missing.

Bottom line, you get in a horrible accident and you need a certian organ. How would you feel if there was a dead guy just gonna be buried whos organ could save your life?

My Ride
    Civicnation

Another situation to think about would be the comatose people who are hooked up to life-support machines and have good organs inside them. Harvesting the organs might become an incentive to pull the plug on them pretty early, and could result in a breach of that individual's rights. ie: a sort of euthanasia because their life is deemed less valuable than the other person who is waiting to receive the organs.

Also, if someone is exempt due to religious reasons, then anyone can be exempt... because what it boils down to is the personal beliefs of the individual. Who is to say that one religion allows organ removal while another doesnt. It can become really subjective. Furthermore, if someone really wants to get around it, all they need to do is create their own religion that does not permit organ donation

I think an opt-out type of donation program would be better. This should also give the family the ability to opt-out after the person's death (unless expressly stated so in a personal directive).

My Ride
    Bicycle

Instead of opt in, change to opt out. So you donate by default unless you note otherwise. And it would be a personal decision, not a family one.

All prisoner committed serious crimes should lose the opt out privilege.

i wrote on this same topic for my bioethics class, so if you want my paper, just pm me.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    maybe your car is trying to tell u to stop ricing it out...u know, in its own little way.
    Originally posted by b_t
    I draw a pentragram on my garage floor, sacrifice a lamb on it, spread the blood everywhere, and park my car there overnight. I tried praying, but it didn't work, so pagan rituals it is.

But then again, thats because I drive a DSM. I personally have found my car very reliable, but thats because I get lamb at a good price.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

How do you opt in now anyways? I know it used to be on your license in the paper license days, but I want to make sure some hot chick gets my eyes so when she's checking herself out in the mirror when she gets out of the shower its my eyes in there.

Originally posted by glennc
    Alive - NO
    Dead - Why not? your dead, you might be able to save someone and not even know the difference. Rats prefer the liver though, they might know somethings up when all their delicous body-filter is missing.

Bottom line, you get in a horrible accident and you need a certian organ. How would you feel if there was a dead guy just gonna be buried whos organ could save your life?
    true that^^^ exactly what i think also

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

No because as stated above religions may not allow the removal of organs. You came from God whole so you cannot return with parts missing. So then having it mandatory will cause issues with peeps who have to donate...

"Why doesn't Arif have to donate?"...

Heck even though I would want to.
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

It shouldn't be mandatory, but I like the idea of opting out , instead of opting in.
    I know some people don't think its right, but it smy body, I can help someone live, so why not. What will I gain out of not opting in? Nothing!

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Instead of opt in, change to opt out. So you donate by default unless you note otherwise. And it would be a personal decision, not a family one.

I've been saying this for years. The people who are religiously or morally against organ donation will happily opt out while the rest of us lazy people can just accept the fact that our organs will be going elsewhere after we die.

My Ride
    2003 Subaru WRX Stg. 2

It's your body, and no matter living or death you should be able to choose what happens to it. If you want to be burried and rot away for countless years in a cemetary, go for it. If you want to donate your organs, then go for it.

My Ride
    POS

In General - NO it's your body you can do what the hell you want to do with it. If this is mandatory, then make it manditory to keep people in good physical shape as a obese persons organs would be useless (im just guessing here, please don't flame me). And this does go against some peoples religions.

Me - Why not? Let's help out as many people as we can. Your dead anyways and have no use for your organs. Just think if the person who needed the transplant was a family member like a wife, son or daughter? That should change your mind, even if religion say's different.

This reminds me of the story about that girl who needed blood transfussions to survive?? I don't really remember the details but I think their religion went against that, but the doctors went ahead and did it anyways without the parents consent, and she is living now.

Anyone know more to that story?

My Ride
    Jetta

Originally posted by bspot
    How do you opt in now anyways? I know it used to be on your license in the paper license days, but I want to make sure some hot chick gets my eyes so when she's checking herself out in the mirror when she gets out of the shower its my eyes in there.
    You have to fill out a donor card and send it in or give it to a health care professional. You should be able to find these cards at any healthcare institution, medi centre, etc. You can also try asking at a registry where you get your license, etc. I would think it would be a good idea to keep them there too but i dont know for sure. The stamp on your license or whatever it used to be is no good anymore i have been told (which i think is stupid because how many people who already have that on their license, know that they have to go back and fill out a card to be in the program.)

My Ride
    E46M3

i agree with a post above
    your body, your choice.

My Ride
    SlowBalt

Originally posted by finboy
    no, your body, your choice.

Unless they wanna pay money for my organs, they aren't getting any...

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

i think the opt out thing would be fine.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    JeepYJ/06VTEC What I Love: 4x4

+1 on your body your choice.

And like sharpie said, if they are willing to pay for em, go ahead. Upfront though please. I accept direct deposit and paypal.

Originally posted by dance4life

You have to fill out a donor card and send it in or give it to a health care professional. You should be able to find these cards at any healthcare institution, medi centre, etc. You can also try asking at a registry where you get your license, etc. I would think it would be a good idea to keep them there too but i dont know for sure. The stamp on your license or whatever it used to be is no good anymore i have been told (which i think is stupid because how many people who already have that on their license, know that they have to go back and fill out a card to be in the program.)
    If you look on the back of your Alberta Health Care card, there is a 'universal organ donor card' where you can specify what you wish to donate (all organs, specific organs, or donation of the whole body for reseach and education)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast