Quantcast
Am i getting screwed? v. Insurance. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am i getting screwed? v. Insurance.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Default Am i getting screwed? v. Insurance.

Okay, bit of a long story, but i need some educated opinions please.
    So I destroyed my car about 10 months ago, and its finally been time to get myself a new car and get back out there.

Anyways, i was with Trilagy before, and my agent (Sam) was always VERY good to me, regarding my age/car. Perhaps too good?
    I need to start driving again due to work, school, and various medical apointments that are ongoing, So i called him about a week and a half ago asking for a quote.
    The quote was on my dads 06 Toyota Highlander, and since there are 4 vehicles and 4 drivers in my house, i would be the marked as the primary driver (also because i am the largest "risk.") All other vehicles are w/ Meloche Monnex, but since trilagy was very good w/ me before, and meloche tried to screw me, we were considering insuring the vehicle w/ trilagy to make it easier on me.
    Sam got back to me saying that it was going to cost me 6,100/yr to drive the highlander.
    He said that generally compared to my 240sx, it costs this much because it is a 2006, as compared to a 1991, and costs more than double the appraised value of the 240 at the time it was insured. My previous history (me vs lightpost) played about a 1000 dollar increase in premiums as well.
    So i said Thanks, and insured it under meloche as a secondary for about 1200/yr.

Now, I've been looking for a Lexus SC300 for a VERY long time (getting close to 2 years now...) and most that i've looked at were garbage, or wouldn't work for me (Left leg doesn't work well because of the me vs. lightpost incident, and i can't use a clutch.) Anyways, i found one that is PERFECT in every possible way. So i called Sam friday afternoon and left him a message w/ the details. It's a 1997 Lexus SC300, 3L Inline 6. 2 doors. Asking price of $xxxxx.xx, full coverage and the same liability/deductable as i had w/ the 240sx, and this will be my fulltime vehicle.
    He left me a message saying that the Lexus will cost me 6,400 per year. MORE than the highlander. His reasons were that, and i quote this, "The lexus is classified as a highend luxury vehicle, where as the toyota is not." I called him back but at that point he had left for the day.

Now, what the hell? A 9 year old car from a luxury marque has higher premiums than a brand new SUV, even though the car cost's about half? That directly contradicts what Sam said to me about the Highlander and my 240sx. (The highlander is an 06, as compared to a 1991. It's replacement value is more than double that of the 240's, hence, i'm buying more than double the coverage, so that will cost more. Yet at the same time. A luxury car that is almost 10 years old w/ half the replacement cost will have higher premiums?)

Since it's the weekend, i havn't been able to get ahold of Sam, or call any other insurance companies, so i'm not sure what to expect. Maybe i don't know the "insurance game" very well, but logically, it does not make ANY sense what-so-ever to me.
    Also, 2 friends of mine are with the same company (they reffered me.) One drives a 2005 BMW 330i ZHP. He has a past claim (2 yrs ago) that IIRC, was about 3x the dollar amount mine is. His insurance is approx. 4,000. Another friend has an 05 Mini Cooper S. His insurance was in the neighboorhood of about 3,500/yr, w/ 2million liability and a very low deductable. huh?

So, my question. Is Trilagy trying to screw me? Do they no longer want my business and are just quoting me rediculous amounts to get me away from them?
    I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeallly confused here, and everything else was set up to purchase this car, this was the last stepping stone...and it threw a wrench in the entire plan. Can anyone clear this for me?

Thanks.
    -Darren

Cliffs: I got in an accident a while ago. Time for a new car. Trilagy quoted me 6,100 to drive my dads SUV. They quoted me 6,400 for a 10 year old lexus w/ half the replacement cost of the SUV. My insurance agent directly contradicted himself in what he told me. Are they trying to bend me over?

Thanks again guys.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Has Three Pedals

screwed
    mym onheust opinoin - "HONEST" opinion i metn.

damn 6k? i only pay 360 month for my BMW, so damn son - bu t i am a trouble free kid iwth only 1 pulled over 4 demereit speding tikit.

damn, that is screwed try ING diriect thats who i am with. they are ncie to me.

i just figured it out, 360/mnth x12 = 4320.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Trilagy is with ING Direct. They're in the same building and work through eachother, just like Meloche is with TD.

I had a single vehicle collision that resulted in writing the car off, no other property damage or injuries to others. They've covered the cost of the Vehicle, some loss of income, and some medical supplies (bandages are fucking expensive, yo.)
    The accident resulted in a small ticket and 4 demerits, and i've since taken a class and training to remove 3 demerits.

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

ING Direct does not do insurance, is a bank. ING Insurance writes Insurance. 2 different business and both have seperate buidlings in Downtown.
    plus for the fact, Canada Brokerlink bought out Trilagy (both are brokeage firm) a few months ago. Therefore all their personal line business goes to ING.

for what I know. all insurer uses the same ratings for auto insurance in alberta. is just a matter of the discounts and surcharges applied to the rate of ur insurance, - year, make, type of car...etc..etc.

oh btw you guys are paying too much for insurance.
    Last edited by guessboi; 05-13-2006 at 11:59 PM.
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Originally posted by guessboi
    ING Direct does not do insurance, is a bank. ING Insurance writes Insurance. 2 different business and both have seperate buidlings in Downtown.
    plus for the fact, Canada Brokerlink bought out Trilagy (both are brokeage firm) a few months ago. Therefore all their personal line business goes to ING.

for what I know. all insurer uses the same ratings for auto insurance in alberta. is just a matter of the discounts and surcharges applied to the rate of ur insurance, - year, make, type of car...etc..etc.

oh btw you guys are paying too much for insurance.
    Yeah, i know they changed their name a while ago. My agent is still there, so thats all i care about.
    I know ING Direct is a bank. They are in the same building with ING, and are/were affilated w/ them. I was even told this, by them.
    Guess. no, rly?

My Ride

ING Direct just opened a new building by SNC I believed and ING Insurance is on 6ave 3rd street.
    I guess I should reword what I have said, they are two very different divisions (affilate) of ING
    and Trilagy is not in the same building with ING Insurance.
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

It's the 1 at fault accident that is killing you. Doesn't matter whether it's single vehicle, or 20 vehicle, at fault is at fault. The amount of money they pay out doesn't matter much.
    Other than that, perhaps your age has something to do with it.
    Your friend, who is paying so much less, is he perhaps over 25, and you are under 25?
    There is a big price break at 25.

Other than that, I'm 21, and pay $2400/year for full coverage on an 05 golf, and $1100/year for PLPD/comp on my 951. I have 3 not-at-fault accidents, which have raised my premiums about $400/year on each car.

So, if you are of similar age to me, have an at-fault accident, and are looking at higher-end vehicles (yes, even a 9 year old lexus is a high-end vehicle), then some companies will offer in the $6000 range.
    That usually means they just don't want to insure you for some reason.
    Call around.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    JeepYJ/06VTEC What I Love: 4x4

sounds like another case of ass rape from an insurance company, yet again with no anal lube.

Its alright, think of what i pay. Im with Quigley, and im 19, 2 tickets, a 2006, and a 88 vehicle. Its a fucking joke. They raised my yearly payment by 700 dollars because of those two tickets in the last three years.

Why don't you spend some time on the phone to a few other insurance companies for comparison? That will tell you if you're getting a competitive rate or not.

Originally posted by Zero102
    I have 3 not-at-fault accidents, which have raised my premiums about $400/year on each car.
    I hope you're kidding. They aren't suppose to raise your premium. It wasn't your fault.

My Ride
    2005 Tacoma, 2008 M3

call cj cambell. i have 2 cars insured right now, 94 cav, 91 accord. i pay 125$ a month for both cars. i know they are older cars but when i talked to them opposed to other brokers i found them to be alot cheaper.

Last edited by kaput; 03-22-2019 at 06:14 PM.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

Originally posted by 90s_tuner

I hope you're kidding. They aren't suppose to raise your premium. It wasn't your fault.
    are you supposed to be at fault cuz some bozo hit you?

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by kaput
    I think it sounds reasonable. Just because the car is older and costs less to replace, your age and history says that when you get behind the wheel, you are a much higher risk. Come on, its a 2 door LEXUS sports car vs. daddys SUV. What do you think the insurance on a 1980's ferrari would cost? Sure its 25 years old but its a fucking ferrari and its going to be driven as such. I remember just a couple years ago, maybe 3 at the most, they wanted me to pay that much to insure a 93 civic 2 door. It was more than the car was worth and I had a clean history. So really, I think you'd be getting a deal at that price.
    exatly what i was going to say. Your premiun is so high because
    1. you are young
    2. You have had an at-fault accident, which the insuance company has to pay for pretty much everything.

The cost of the vehicle is a factor into calculating your premium, but it's not the only thing they look for. Consider your age and the vehicle, i find it completely logical for the insuance company to charge you more for the sc300

Also the cost of parts, repairs and rate of claims compared with other vehicles.

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Originally posted by cressida_pimpin
    call cj cambell. i have 2 cars insured right now, 94 cav, 91 accord. i pay 125$ a month for both cars. i know they are older cars but when i talked to them opposed to other brokers i found them to be alot cheaper.
    how old are you?

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Technically in Alberta age and sex can have no bearing on your premiums now.

I have full coverage on the NSX and I pay 2200/year.

The accident will kill you, though.

Once that accident is off your record, you should see a drop in your premiums.

Its alright, think of what i pay. Im with Quigley, and im 19, 2 tickets, a 2006, and a 88 vehicle. Its a fucking joke. They raised my yearly payment by 700 dollars because of those two tickets in the last three years.
    19 and 2 tickets? On a brand new vehicle and you don't expect them to raise your premiums? Slow down...

My Ride

Age is a big factor in premium in Alberta still!
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by guessboi
    Age is a big factor in premium in Alberta still!
    Really? I thought the govt abolished that crap.

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Directlink (formerly ING insurance) can be a little spastic at times with quotes. Honestly I think Sam is screwing around with you.. I'd call up and talk to Judy or Lyn Stinsen instead. If they won't lower it, tell them that is ridiculous and you're going to take your business elsewhere if they cannot improve.. I know from experience you can haggle with insurance brokers/companies.

Meloche-Monex discriminates against age and gender.. I know this for a fact. They denied me collision coverage on a family plan although my driving record was better than all the other drivers in my family, drivers abstracts and accident reports proved that. They are a bunch of douche-bags IMO. The law is a little tricky for these insurance companies, but they find ways around it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast