Quantcast
Behind the Wheel - May 17, 2006: Turning Left Over Solid Lines - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Behind the Wheel - May 17, 2006: Turning Left Over Solid Lines

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

Default Behind the Wheel - May 17, 2006

Turning Left Over Solid Lines

You should do something about turning left on double solid lines, Port Alberni is terrible for it.

In defence of Port Alberni, I can probably say that all of British Columbia is terrible for it. Many drivers have an incomplete idea of what the lines on the road really mean. The basic intent is that regardless of what kind of line is painted down the center of the highway, drivers are required to stay to the right of it.

I can hear the muttering starting now. What? That's not right! It is correct, but it is not complete. Once we are past the basic intent there are special circumstances where a driver is allowed to cross the lines if the situation permits it. Even a single broken yellow line means stay to the right, except when you are safely overtaking another vehicle on the left.

The double solid line this reader speaks of is even more strict. A driver must keep to the right of it at all times, with one exception, and that is when you are entering or leaving the highway. Even then you must do so safely and not unreasonably interfere with other traffic.

What is unreasonable interference? That's a good question, and one where there is no simple answer. Each situation must be looked at individually depending on the circumstances. If you are leaving the highway mid-block, the oncoming lanes are solid bumper to bumper, the traffic is busy behind you and there is no way for others overtaking you to go around legally, you should be considering making the turn at an intersection and coming back. If you are one of few vehicles on the road and the vehicle behind must wait for a few seconds perhaps this isn't unreasonable.

In short, it is not illegal to turn left over a double solid line in all cases, but there may be few opportunities to do so legally.

Reference Links
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel at http://www.drivesmartbc.ca

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Interesting.
    A friend of mine got a ~$300 ticket for making a left turn over a double solid going to a robins donuts a little while ago. Very little traffic, and the cop was coming the other way (a couple blocks away at the time he made the turn).
    He was cited for crossing a double solid line, which he was told was illegal at any time.

Could this be a difference in the laws between BC and Alberta?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Zero102
    Interesting.
    A friend of mine got a ~$300 ticket for making a left turn over a double solid going to a robins donuts a little while ago. Very little traffic, and the cop was coming the other way (a couple blocks away at the time he made the turn).
    He was cited for crossing a double solid line, which he was told was illegal at any time.

see the mistake?

I also thought it's illegal to cross ANY solid lines. Of course, getting a ticket or not always depends on the situation.

Originally posted by Xtrema

I also thought it's illegal to cross ANY solid lines. Of course, getting a ticket or not always depends on the situation.
    that's what I thought.
    I think the double solid just means cars on both sides cannot cross. Not that its MORE wrong to do so.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I thought a single yellow line meant pass at your own discretion??

(i.e. The area hasn't be scouted out to place dashed lines where its safe to pass and double lines when it is not)

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Single solid lines can be crossed to make turns into driveways and parking lots, and double solid lines can never be crossed, or so I believed until this thread.... time to consult my driver's book.
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

Originally posted by Zero102
    Single solid lines can be crossed to make turns into driveways and parking lots, and double solid lines can never be crossed, or so I believed until this thread.... time to consult my driver's book.
    That's true, because you are leaving the highway....
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

Originally posted by bspot
    I thought a single yellow line meant pass at your own discretion??
    This is true also.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Wait, so the general opinion is that you can cross a single solid line if you are leaving or entering the road, and double solid lines can never be crossed? I just want to clarify.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

In BC you can cross a single solid line in three circumstances:

1) You are passing someone on the left and it is safe to do so.

2) You are avoiding an obstruction on the road and can do so without affecting the travel of others.

3) You are entering or leaving the highway.

You must keep to the right of a double solid line unless you are entering or leaving the highway.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

So, turns over a double solid are legal in BC.
    Cool. I still haven't found my driver's book, but around here if there is a double solid down the middle of the road, they will either have a break in it for turns, or a no left turns sign at the intersection.