Quantcast
getting fired NEEEED HELP! please - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: getting fired NEEEED HELP! please

My Ride
    06 civic

Default getting fired

just curious

my boss jsut told me orginally today is my last day, that they were goign to let me go today, but decided to give me another chance

just a quick question

where do i find out if i get severene pay if i get fired, if i'm entitled to any at all?

#'s or websites,

thanks

if they are laying you off, they require a certain amount of notice or they can pay you in lieu of notice

if they are firing you because you are not doing your job, etc. they dont owe you anything

you're being given a second chance and instead you're looking to get fired for the severance?
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    POS

I don't think you get anything if you were fired, but depending how long you were with them they might give you 2 weeks pay. If they lay you off you can apply for EI.

If they are giving you a second chance they are being really nice, so make good of it and WORK because they are paying you to do that.

My Ride
    06 civic

not really, everybody knows she is going to let 3 people go, she is just waiting for the new people to accept her offer/salary, then she is going to fire us anyways.

long and sticky situation, don't want to post up the LONG LONG details.

so bascially if i do get fired they don't need to give me two weeks notice or severence, ~ only been with this oil and gas company for 2 years now.

Also, what if i hand in my two weeks notice now, and they tell me to just leave now and not finish my two weeks?

anybody have any referecne to websites or phone numbers?

My Ride
    2006 Ninja 500R

I went thru the same thing with the tim hortons I worked at. After 2 years employment they need to give u 2 weeks notice OR 2 weeks pay. After 4 years employment they need to give you 4 weeks notice OR 4 weeks pay. If they give you notice it is usually in writing so they have proof. If they gave you no notice and terminate you without pay, goto employment standards(theres an office in calgary), goto the website and fill out the self help form and give to employer. If they dont pay then you file a grievance with employment standards and they get the money for you. I went thru this whole thing and they ended up getting me my 2 weeks pay a month later.

Last edited by kaput; 03-22-2019 at 06:24 PM.

it depends on your employment status (full time, part time, contract). If you're full time, they need a reason to fire you. Barring that, it's a layoff, in which case you may or may not get severance, but you get notice. At least 2 weeks, or they may pay you in lieu, which means your last day is 2 weeks from today, but they don't want you to come in, so they pay you those 2 weeks instead.

Need more details on your situation (coles notes) to help you out any more though.
    heloc that shit

Originally posted by bababadoan
    not really, everybody knows she is going to let 3 people go, she is just waiting for the new people to accept her offer/salary, then she is going to fire us anyways.

long and sticky situation, don't want to post up the LONG LONG details.

so bascially if i do get fired they don't need to give me two weeks notice or severence, ~ only been with this oil and gas company for 2 years now.

Also, what if i hand in my two weeks notice now, and they tell me to just leave now and not finish my two weeks?

anybody have any referecne to websites or phone numbers?
    Since it sounds like you're full time, if they wish to fire you without cause (Which they are within their rights to do) they must give you notice or severance:

MINIMUM EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS NOTICE REQUIREMENTS

Neither the employer nor employee has a statutory obligation to give notice of termination during the first three months of employment. This is consistent with industry practice that generally treats the first three months of employment as a probationary period.
    Employer Initiates Termination

The length of notice an employer is required to give depends on the duration of employment and must be in writing. The minimum notice requirements that employers must give are:

* one week – for employment of more than three months, but less than two years
    * two weeks – for employment of two years, but less than four years,
    * four weeks – for employment of four years, but less than six years,
    * five weeks – for employment of six years, but less than eight years,
    * six weeks – for employment of eight years, but less than 10 years, and
    * eight weeks – for employment of 10 years or more.

An employer may choose to give pay for the required notice period instead of providing notice. A combination of written notice and pay in lieu of notice (termination pay) is also acceptable.

The employer must pay all wages, overtime, general holiday pay and vacation pay due the employee within three days following termination of employment.

Dude I bet you were on your way out the door, then your replacement phoned in and said "screw you guys I'm not working with you afterall". Then they gave you 'another chance'.

..... until they find someone else

Start hitting the job ads I think!

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by TrevorK

Since it sounds like you're full time, if they wish to fire you without cause (Which they are within their rights to do) they must give you notice or severance:
    How are they within their rights to fire without cause?

My Ride
    94' Terd

^^^ They can fire anyone without cause as long as they provide the hours or salary as shown above. Most employers will just provide the salary as they do not want someone who knows they are going to be fired working there anymore.

If they fire you with just cause than they don't have to give you jack shit.

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Originally posted by TrevorK

MINIMUM EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS NOTICE REQUIREMENTS

Neither the employer nor employee has a statutory obligation to give notice of termination during the first three months of employment. This is consistent with industry practice that generally treats the first three months of employment as a probationary period.
    Employer Initiates Termination

The length of notice an employer is required to give depends on the duration of employment and must be in writing. The minimum notice requirements that employers must give are:

* one week – for employment of more than three months, but less than two years
    * two weeks – for employment of two years, but less than four years,
    * four weeks – for employment of four years, but less than six years,
    * five weeks – for employment of six years, but less than eight years,
    * six weeks – for employment of eight years, but less than 10 years, and
    * eight weeks – for employment of 10 years or more.

An employer may choose to give pay for the required notice period instead of providing notice. A combination of written notice and pay in lieu of notice (termination pay) is also acceptable.

The employer must pay all wages, overtime, general holiday pay and vacation pay due the employee within three days following termination of employment.
    Find out which duristiction you fall under as these rules may not apply. ie: Federal or provincial labor laws.

Then contact the labor board of which one you fall under for information and reccomendations. You may even be able to submit a complain to the labor board which launches an investigation with the company if any laws are being broken.

Just read this website, it has all the answers you need.

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/hre/employment...ermination.asp

Originally posted by googe

How are they within their rights to fire without cause?
    An employer can fire an employee for anything...except race, gender, marital status, religion, sexual orientation and a few others that I may be missing...

They don't have to give a reason, and that will protect them. Unless you're old and set in your ways, I can't see how anybody would be worried about getting fired in Calgary's job market. I only have one year of experience in what I'm currently doing, and I'm pretty confident that I could find a job the next day if I were let go.