Quantcast
Anyone know a good financial advisor? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone know a good financial advisor?

Default Anyone know a good financial advisor?

My girlfriend is looking for a good financial advisor. She wants someone who will give her some investment options in bonds, mutual funds and possibly stocks.

She doesn't want to go to the banks since they only peddle their own stuff. She also doesn't have enough money for private client stuff - so places like Wood Gundy / Nesbitt Burns / etc are out.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

My Ride
    2003 Black Lincoln LS

It will be hard to get away from any agent/advisor that isn't peddling their own stuff. There are more mutual funds than stocks out there now...

Unless you have a large investment you should stick to a discount brokerage and do things yourself.

It is not hard and the fees and commissions that brokers charge are very high. A few hours spent on some financial websites will give you ag reat basic knowledge of the thing.

And if you do work on your car yourself, you can do this stuff and you won't even get your hands dirty.

Good Luck.

Last edited by kaput; 03-26-2019 at 07:09 PM.

ATB has some funds that just buy the top 5 funds. If she is scared of getting nailed by a bank send her there and tell her to ask about them.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

if shes a risk taker, 1st Calgary has med-high risk Ethical funds, and the also got some low-med ones....thier not too bad actually.

My Ride
    BMW E46/R6

Most Investment Advisors have a floor as to how much each investor has in investable assets. Discount brokerage is a good way to create your own portfolio, but requires some effort. You're right that financial institutions will peddle their own products if you're doing the mutual fund route, but keep in mind that most major funds by any FI will have a similar fund with virtually the same holdings at any other major FI.

I'd suggest DB, but if you have limited investing experience start off in MF's by your FI. There's no fees other than the indirect management fees, whilst giving you exposure to the market until you feel comfortable enough to have a db account.

Tell her to save some cash and go to Goodman Private Wealth managment, Gary and the rest of the boys down there are some of the best in the business.